Why does boot mat remove spare wheel on Quattro saloons

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Thought I'd ask this as a separate thread rather than leave it buried in my other one.

It appears that adding the reversible boot mat to saloons with Quattro results in the spare wheel being removed.

I can't for the life of me figure out why this is. I know the floor is higher on Quattros but this is the same on Sportbacks and they're not affected. Also what bearing does removing the spare wheel have on anything? It's not like the floor is going to be magically lower just because the spare wheel's not there.

Can anyone shed any light?

Hmm, everyone in the dark like me then :(

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I'm not sure if I have the reversible boot mat... I thought there is only one?

But I can say I have a rubber boot mat (with boot floor in raised position) and a spare wheel :)

Well I'll probably never know as I've removed the mat from my order. No way am I not having a spare wheel.

Well I'll probably never know as I've removed the mat from my order. No way am I not having a spare wheel.
No idea mate that's really strange. I ordered the car then ordered the rubber mat separately from the dealer and threw it straight in (after putting the boot floor in the raised position so it's flat... Makes you lose a couple of inches but nothing major)

I don't think you get the option to raise or lower the floor in Quattros - it's permanently in the high position to allow for the extra running gear underneath. I'm just at a total loss as to why throwing a mat on top of the floor has anything to do with the presence of a spare wheel underneath it.

I'll get get one from the parts department separately.

Reactions: AudiNutta and Audi Bairn
I got offered a boot liner when I collected my car, chose to go for a meal out instead, you may get offered something when you collect.

I don't think you get the option to raise or lower the floor in Quattros - it's permanently in the high position to allow for the extra running gear underneath. I'm just at a total loss as to why throwing a mat on top of the floor has anything to do with the presence of a spare wheel underneath it.

I'll get get one from the parts department separately.
Yeah I think you're right. I think I must be imagining a non-S model that they demonstrated the moving floor to me in.

Either way as you say it should be fine to buy after... Mine is fine, like you say - no reason why it wouldn't be lol
I got offered a boot liner when I collected my car, chose to go for a meal out instead, you may get offered something when you collect.
A meal with the salesman? :p

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Yeah I think you're right. I think I must be imagining a non-S model that they demonstrated the moving floor to me in.

Either way as you say it should be fine to buy after... Mine is fine, like you say - no reason why it wouldn't be lol

A meal with the salesman? :p

lol was a lady actually, not sure the Mrs would have approved lol

Nah went away with a meal out, a free tank of fuel after using what the car came with, and a remote control R8 for the little one, happy days.

Reactions: azibux1 and Audi Bairn
lol was a lady actually, not sure the Mrs would have approved lol

Nah went away with a meal out, a free tank of fuel after using what the car came with, and a remote control R8 for the little one, happy days.
That's awesome! :D

Reactions: Tom.H