Finally running Revo Stage 2 ECU and TCU...

Forbzeeee

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hey guys,

After much deliberation, I have finally bitten the bullet and upgraded from Revo Stage 1 to Revo Stage 2 ECU and TCU. I had been running Revo Stage 1 for over a year but due to the cost of getting stage 2, due to hardware requirements, and the small gain in terms of £ per HP I had been holding out. Today I thought i'd go for it!!

Spec:

Full Revo Carbon Series Air Intake + Carbon Lid
Revo FMIC
Revo Turbo Intake Hose
Scorpion Downpipe and High Flow Cat
Revo Stage 2 ECU
Revo Stage 2 TCU
Eibach Sportline

First Impressions:

When I picked the car up it was raining quite hard but I've still noticed a couple of things....

There is definitely a noticeable difference in the mid-range torque.
Gear changes are slicker in Sports mode. Change points have shifted for the better in D and E.
It sounds better/sportier due to the downpipe.
Slightly more intake noise and turbo spool.
The car now pulls hard and in-gear acceleration feels much improved.

All in all I am happy with my decision but I need to get out on dry roads and a dry track to test it properly. Also looking forward to testing the various stages of launch control now enabled.

As I was about to leave my tuner informed me that Revo Stage 3 is now available - Minimum of 500bhp!!!! He did offer me a deal if I do it within the next month or so... We shall see what happens.

Anyway, I will keep you updated over the coming days once I get to test her out properly.

Here's a pic of my engine bay... Apologies that it's not as clean as it should be.

S3 Stage 2

More to follow...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68, FBF01 and Weeb
i noticed a HUGE difference in the cars willingness to keep pulling to redline when I went stage 2....be interested to get your further impressions once you've had more of a play....very nicely done anyway....i think going proper Stage 3 is an even more massive leap and not sure its worth it unless you plan to keep the car longer term

Reactions: Forbzeeee
Hi there, how's the REVO DSG tune so far? I am currently running the APR DSG tune and it is jerky when it is coming to a stop where the DSG downshift from 2 to 1 and it also does a blip in the process.

One of the feature REVO listed for their DSG tune is that it maintains gear 2 in Eco and Drive mode until the car is totally stationary. I believe that's problem with my APR DSG tune. Can you confirm your car is totally smooth when driven normally when coming to a stop?

I love my Revo stage 2 but I want to get in on a dyno just to see what figures I'm getting.

Revo stage 3 could be on the cards if I decide to keep it.

Did they give you a price @Forbzeeee ?

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Forbzeeee
Hi there, how's the REVO DSG tune so far? I am currently running the APR DSG tune and it is jerky when it is coming to a stop where the DSG downshift from 2 to 1 and it also does a blip in the process.

One of the feature REVO listed for their DSG tune is that it maintains gear 2 in Eco and Drive mode until the car is totally stationary. I believe that's problem with my APR DSG tune. Can you confirm your car is totally smooth when driven normally when coming to a stop?

I went out today and ended up in slow moving, stop-start town centre traffic and confirm that it doesn't downshift to 1 until it has completely stopped. Coming to a stop has been fine. I did have one downshift going from 3 to 2 that felt slightly more aggressive than before.

It also feels like more engine braking takes place when off-throttle.

Going up through the gears it's much crisper and faster.

@RS200Z How long have you had the APR TCU and has it improved or got worse?

Reactions: Rob2k68
@MikeParkin I'm also loving Stage 2 too and happy that I did it!! I really need to get on a dyno and a track to test it properly so I can compare to my Stage 1 figures.

Re Price for Stage 3 you're looking at around £3k. Turbo £2400 + Stage 3 (from 2) ECU and Stage 3 (from 2) TCU software.

I'm manual so I might have a saving on the TCU upgrade haha I'll definitely be considering this I'm not in it for the figures just want something that's silly fast in a normal car ha

I'm manual so I might have a saving on the TCU upgrade haha I'll definitely be considering this I'm not in it for the figures just want something that's silly fast in a normal car ha

I'm exactly the same!!! Chasing figures usually turns out to be an expensive and potentially never-ending game

Reactions: Rob2k68 and MikeParkin
@RS200Z How long have you had the APR TCU and has it improved or got worse?

I had it since they first released it about 2 years back. And I have gone through 3 version updates, the last being v2.2.1 back in June this year.
Am bit disappointed to say the least, considering the prices of APR tunes charged here in my country. It's the 'best' version so far but still not perfect. Guess REVO took their time, though late to the game but released a better OEM+ like product.

Am tempted to switch to the REVO TCU tune at this point, but would like to hear more feedback. Any other negative experiences you encountered so far?

@MikeParkin I'm also loving Stage 2 too and happy that I did it!! I really need to get on a dyno and a track to test it properly so I can compare to my Stage 1 figures.

Re Price for Stage 3 you're looking at around £3k. Turbo £2400 + Stage 3 (from 2) ECU and Stage 3 (from 2) TCU software.

.... also when I spoke to Revo last and as seen on their stage 3 development vehicle a full catback exhaust was required so another £1,500 ish for a Milltek perhaps slightly cheaper for a Scorpion. Priced up for resonator and valved options.

Can report that having the TCU tune for a number of months prior to the official release and having done 14,000 miles on it that I’ve had no issues with it and have only good things to say about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: batch and Forbzeeee
@Rob2k68 Good point re full exhaust... you'll need one of those lol.

My tuner did say that you can run Stage 3 with just a downpipe and OEM catback but it's better to go for a full system to get maximum power/results of the soon to be advertised 506 PS.

I'm thinking to get Full Revo Carbon Series Air Intake. You said that there is only slightly more intake noise and turbo spool. I suppose that it doesn't disturb in any way? I don't like noisy intake. Few years ago i had VWR600 intake and it had too much woooosh.

Doesn't the warranty frighten you guys?
Always my biggest fear

Reactions: AndyKnight
Yes, it depends personally that much risk can take. I have had tuned cars 11 years and no problem so far. Maybe good luck ends some day but not so concerned about that. If something happens then have to pay. Motorsport is not cheap hobby:redrs4:

Yes, it depends personally that much risk can take. I have had tuned cars 11 years and no problem so far. Maybe good luck ends some day but not so concerned about that. If something happens then have to pay. Motorsport is not cheap hobby:redrs4:
Whats the trick? Stage 1 map nothing to crazy and then look after the car and nothing should go wrong?

There's a highly recommended place near me that do the APR map, they did my res delete and I'm made up with it

I'm looking at going straight to Stage 2!
Being a manual, when i had a DTUK box on the clutch started slipping so thats another factor i have to add on for stage 2!

im interested in hearing more about revo stage 3.