Clunking noise....

davidg123

Reaction score
Just noticed I have a clunking noise when I flash my main beam. Sounds like it's coming from the drivers side. I was being a typical man and checking they work,before a big....ish drive. The lights themselves work fine, not dim or flickering. Just curious if anyone else has heard this before.
Cheers Dave

I think thats normal. What you are hearing is the motor pulling the shield down inside the xenon projectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers sl11ckk, it's not something I'm massively worried about, as they work perfectly fine. It was just a noise I'd never heard before and wondered what people's thoughts on it were.

Are you sure you're not just hearing the ballast turning on & off for the HID / Xenon headlights? HID / Xenon lights need A LOT of voltage to come on and the ballast basically creates a big arc of high voltage electricity to excite the xenon and produce light.

Yeah there's definitely a possibility. If I'm honest I don't think I've ever operated them without the engine on before. Plus it does sound like a shutter operating or could be the ballast powering up.