3.0 Tiptronic Gearbox

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

i have a 3.0 A4 fitted with tiptronic i believe its the KXS gearbox, i have purchased
Atomic Metal Conditioner made by a company called xado after being impressed with their engine oil, anyway this stuff comes in a 30ml syringe which i need to somehow get into the box, i don't like the look of the "snorkel" type arrangement for the actual filler they use on the gearbox to change the oil, so does anyone know of another way i could inject this stuff into the box, reverse light switch possibly?

any help greatly appreciated :)

thanks
David

From the blurb.....

Atomic Metal Conditioner Maximum with 1 Stage Revitalizant is an innovative 3-component product specially formulated for treating vital engine parts in cars with oil system capacity up to 5 qt. Due to Revitalizant the product reduces friction, rebuilds worn metal in engine parts and creates protective coating against future wear, thus providing tools-free restoration and anti-wear protection. Product application prolongs the life of your engine and allows avoiding expensive repairs in the future. One treatment lasts for 60,000 miles!

This stuff is made for engines, DO NOT put it into your gearbox, and I would also never, EVER put such stuff into my engine or gearbox. Early maintenance (oil & filter changes namely) to the engine and gearbox will prolong the life FAR better than this stuff.

Also, a lot of these snake oils coat metal components with crap which is what they claim gives the "protection". Do you REALLY want that stuff in your expensive semi-automatic gearbox? Manual gearbox....MAYBE, Tiptronic / S-Tronic / Multitronic......NEVER, EVER, EVER!!

only thing i would be putting in the box is zf transmission fluid

Speaking of which, has anyone had a gearbox fluid change done on the tiptronic 6 speed in the 3.0TDI? I quite often don't like how mine behaves and wonder if an oil change would be helpful.

Speaking of which, has anyone had a gearbox fluid change done on the tiptronic 6 speed in the 3.0TDI? I quite often don't like how mine behaves and wonder if an oil change would be helpful.
Sorry for late reply; only just noticed this thread. @Owyn, I had a B7 A4 3.0Tdi with ZF 6-speed Tiptronic. I had the fluid changed at around 80,000 miles by my local indie. It improved the smoothness of changes no end. I don't subscribe to this sealed-for-life approach.

Reactions: scotty76
Sorry for late reply; only just noticed this thread. @Owyn, I don't subscribe to this sealed-for-life approach.

The sealed for life isn’t clear, the “life” part is in reference to the warranty period.

In general, and somewhat dismal terms, life also means “for as long as it’s working” , a human life has no exact definition in time terms, a person can live for 1 minute, or 100 plus years.

Generally,manufactures see all components of a vehicle as consumable once the warrantied period has passed.

i diy changed mine, not too bad of a job to do, just need vag com for temperatures when filling. best done on a ramp

That's some great info, thanks .
I've just been talking to a couple of people, one of whom has a newish BMW and another with a Merc and they both said they didn't recognise anything I was talking about .I'll see if there are any reputable indies near me.

i diy changed mine, not too bad of a job to do, just need vag com for temperatures when filling. best done on a ramp
Would it be doable in a pit? I've got a pit but no ramp. Have you got access to a how to?

That's some good reading!

While googling around the subject the issue I appear to have is the 2-1 thump (3-2 also seems to be a problem). When rolling up to a round about, if I can catch the car before it drops out of 3rd (don't slow down too much or accelerate too hard) then everything is fine. If I slow down a bit more or accelerate a bit harder the car grabs 2 or 1 after a slight hesitation and progresses with a fairly firm jolt. It's very annoying!

That's some good reading!

While googling around the subject the issue I appear to have is the 2-1 thump (3-2 also seems to be a problem). When rolling up to a round about, if I can catch the car before it drops out of 3rd (don't slow down too much or accelerate too hard) then everything is fine. If I slow down a bit more or accelerate a bit harder the car grabs 2 or 1 after a slight hesitation and progresses with a fairly firm jolt. It's very annoying!

See my thread, sounds like the same thing I’m experiencing. Do you think an oil change will resolve the issue?

My thread:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/gearbox-problems.362326/