engine rebuild

mathew lisett

Reaction score
ok so since it seems i cant get google to give me the answer.

how many hours would it take to rebuild the engine, from crankshaft, pistons, rods, camshafts etc

How long is a piece of string? Depends on if you are building from new with all parts laid out on the bench, or are you sending parts to be machined, are you experienced? The fact you are asking says to me you have never done it before, so it will take you a lot longer than someone who does it for a living. You have no idea what problems you may run into throughout the build if something is out of tolerance and needs to be worked / machined, etc.

The honest answer is no-one knows.

Just a thought chap, given the amount of issues you have had with the car in your previous threads would it not be a better idea to just sell it and get something that requires less work to start with now....I just think you are looking to spend a heck of a lot on a car and possible more , I just cant see the benafits of it, I know we all like to fine tune and customise our A4's , I do , but there are a fair few really nice modded and unmodded B7's for sale for a lot less than the cost of your intended project, just a though...

my applogise if it sounded as if i was the one doing it, hell i can barely do the sparks lol.

it would be done by people like regal autosport. so was trying to figure how long it would generally take

Just a thought chap, given the amount of issues you have had with the car in your previous threads would it not be a better idea to just sell it and get something that requires less work to start with now....I just think you are looking to spend a heck of a lot on a car and possible more , I just cant see the benafits of it, I know we all like to fine tune and customise our A4's , I do , but there are a fair few really nice modded and unmodded B7's for sale for a lot less than the cost of your intended project, just a though...
a lot of the issues were minor, the -previopus mechanic basically **** himself with all the codes.. only for me to figure out via here and elsewhere the basic ways to solve them which i did.

the others issues were faulty injectors.. which ive now had replaced, and a cam follower which is being replace also. and if its also found the hpfp needs replacing ill replace it with ie's one in a few weeks hopefully.

oh and it was also badly misfire not only due to the 2 faulty injectors but because the manifold was very badly clogged with carbon, so just had that cleared up.

Best to ask the people doing the job for a quote / estimated time to be honest, that's the closest you'll get, but it won't take into account any issues they may find which could add to time and costs quoted.

engine rebuild from the ground up will be a lot , and if it's still in the car it is going to be a lot more chap, which is why so many guys just sell there B7's when they have engine issues that require full rebuilds.....unless you have a pristine example of a B7 then just not worth the outlay...plus as others have said you have a real chance of other problems occurring along the way....what milage is on the car...if its 50k ish then possibly worth it if was a DTM or a special edition variant but otherwise I say just leave it alone, just my thoughts.

engine rebuild from the ground up will be a lot , and if it's still in the car it is going to be a lot more chap, which is why so many guys just sell there B7's when they have engine issues that require full rebuilds.....unless you have a pristine example of a B7 then just not worth the outlay...plus as others have said you have a real chance of other problems occurring along the way....what milage is on the car...if its 50k ish then possibly worth it if was a DTM or a special edition variant but otherwise I say just leave it alone, just my thoughts.
special edition sline 2wd

on that milage the whole car has done a lot of miles, not just the engine but everything, bushes, bearings, gearbox ....everything......I personally wouldn't consider it , the cars probably worth 4k tops now with the new reg almost upon us.....I think if you start messing around on that sort of scale you will most certainly have other parts to replace and other issues to address....I love the B7 and don't plan on selling my Quattro 220 anytime yet, but its only done 60k so worth spending a few pounds here and there, and I think most of the parts I change I can put back and sell again anyway so it's a win win situation.
Why not sell it and get what you can now and put it towards a better B7 with lower miles and go from there....
I'm not saying the milage is a possible issue because it may well be, and 184k is a fair bit chap.
just my input.

Were you not asking about cam's the other day?
Why do you want a rebuild? I can't help but think you are just a dreamer, you seem to ask a lot of silly questions, how many of these things have you actually had done?
By all means ask a question if theres something you want to get done soon, but constant threads about things you have planned for "next year" start to get a little boring.
As Rob said already if there is issues with your car, start off by addressing those First rather than a hypothetical race car build!
And in all honesty, if you want to build a beast why not start off with something better than a high mileage FWD a4, if youve got the money to pour into the engine bay then maybe consider atleast selling and buying a quattro varient. As much as we all try to deny it, the b7's are starting to become a bit long in the tooth now and can be snapped up fOr a lot less money they we like to admit, so by shopping around you could probably get a reasonable quattro varient for not much more than a FWD. A much better platform to build on if power is your thing.

Reactions: WesternFreight
Were you not asking about cam's the other day?
Why do you want a rebuild? I can't help but think you are just a dreamer, you seem to ask a lot of silly questions, how many of these things have you actually had done?
By all means ask a question if theres something you want to get done soon, but constant threads about things you have planned for "next year" start to get a little boring.
As Rob said already if there is issues with your car, start off by addressing those First rather than a hypothetical race car build!
And in all honesty, if you want to build a beast why not start off with something better than a high mileage FWD a4, if youve got the money to pour into the engine bay then maybe consider atleast selling and buying a quattro varient. As much as we all try to deny it, the b7's are starting to become a bit long in the tooth now and can be snapped up fOr a lot less money they we like to admit, so by shopping around you could probably get a reasonable quattro varient for not much more than a FWD. A much better platform to build on if power is your thing.

so because i ask question you deem them silly? surely people ask questions to gain knowledge and answers that may not be gained elsewhere, so why the disrespect?

and the "constant threads" is because i have a question that is diffeent from what i wanted to know from previous.

why am i looking at a rebuild, well in my head because the camshafts likely need doing, i might aswell get the valve springs sorted since there right there and saves money and time for going back if i ever needed to.

and then when i was reading about oil issues and how badly they are with these models i thought, well since the cams and valve s;rings would be getting done why not sort out an issue before it happens and save more time and money by having the pistons and rods replaced, especially when you hear that the oil issues would need to have the rings replaces and the pistons can only handle so much power so replacing them enables more chance of not only power increase but gives a healthier stronger engine for the life with us.i also look for performance higher quality parts rather than the normal stock parts because the stock parts seemingly have a known issue that will break at some point and when it come to the point of sellign the car it will be a better selling point that the car is much stronger than the average car of the same model

oh and as saiud i think before, im already looking to replace the hpfp due to p1093 error.

now i may not even replace the crankshaft, but overall these threads are here for knowledge for even the newest person or a veteran who may want to know the very same thing and hey presto theres the answer because you kind folk have given the answer instead of belittling it as a dream and wastful threads.

now considering how much i paid for the car and how much ive seen standard ones for , ive got some margin to be able to deal with before i see it being a waste.

on that milage the whole car has done a lot of miles, not just the engine but everything, bushes, bearings, gearbox ....everything......I personally wouldn't consider it , the cars probably worth 4k tops now with the new reg almost upon us.....I think if you start messing around on that sort of scale you will most certainly have other parts to replace and other issues to address....I love the B7 and don't plan on selling my Quattro 220 anytime yet, but its only done 60k so worth spending a few pounds here and there, and I think most of the parts I change I can put back and sell again anyway so it's a win win situation.
Why not sell it and get what you can now and put it towards a better B7 with lower miles and go from there....
I'm not saying the milage is a possible issue because it may well be, and 184k is a fair bit chap.
just my input.
"with the new reg almost upon us" sorry what does this mean
"Why not sell it and get what you can now and put it towards a better B7 with lower miles and go from there...." i think ive answered this to the other person, could be wrong, but at least my reply to them gives a much better insight to how i think (i think)

very simple and well known fact, every time a new car registration comes out, twice a year , it wasn't as bad years ago when it was just once a year, anyway the resale value of other used cars drops, some more than others....so what ever you car was valued at based on its age and year at the book price as soon as a new reg hits the road yours is automatically worth less than the day before.....sadly your car is not really worth that much now based on guide price , age , year and milage....look at glasses guide before and after the reg come in to effect and see the drop in value.