Will R8 rims fit to RS3?

Macintosh88

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has tried to put on R8 rims to RS3? They have a measure of 8,5J ET42 on the front rims, center hole is same as RS3, 57,1 and 5/112. Theoretically it should work if I get four front rims ... with same tire size as standard RS3 235/35/19.

I think those rims looks quite nice :smirk:

S l1600

I don't like moving away from wheels actually recommended for whatever car I've got, I'm pretty sure its ET49 on the FL RS3, so ET42 is IMHO no go........

Mine has 8.5J, ET 43 wheels on and the poke out is bang on. See pic:

Screenshot 20170815 054528

Reactions: Evotion and AudiNutta
I don't like moving away from wheels actually recommended for whatever car I've got, I'm pretty sure its ET49 on the FL RS3, so ET42 is IMHO no go........
Ok, I was also nitious with a measure of the car but I think the wheels are a bit too far in. As long as it does not affect the car handling and mechanical parts.

4x front R8 rims will work fine :)
Mine has 8.5J, ET 43 wheels on and the poke out is bang on. See pic:
View attachment 133731

Thanks @Aaon_M and @Ozmosis. The rims look really nice. What's the model and brand? Did you put any spacers or what is it just ET 42 on the rims? Have you noticed any difference in handling wheel sensitivity?

Mine are HRE FF01's. Actual wheel ET is 47 with 4mm spacers to make the poke out perfect. The wheels needed to spacers to clear the front caliper.

No real difference in handling, as the tyres are the standard size 235/35's, and the extra width of the HRE wheel means the bulk of the tyre still sits mainly in the original footprint. These wheels are much lighter than the OEM ones too.

I also confirm you are OK. I have ET41 that are fine. Also no difference in handling (on road conditions anyway..) and the self centering steering is still very positive.

Mine are HRE FF01's. Actual wheel ET is 47 with 4mm spacers to make the poke out perfect. The wheels needed to spacers to clear the front caliper.

No real difference in handling, as the tyres are the standard size 235/35's, and the extra width of the HRE wheel means the bulk of the tyre still sits mainly in the original footprint. These wheels are much lighter than the OEM ones too.

I also confirm you are OK. I have ET41 that are fine. Also no difference in handling (on road conditions anyway..) and the self centering steering is still very positive.

Thanks for your all reply and confirmation that works :grinning:
So I need to be careful to the front caliper so it doesn´t hit the rims.

Thanks for your all reply and confirmation that works :grinning:
So I need to be careful to the front caliper so it doesn´t hit the rims.

I would hope the R8 wheels would clear as that should have a similar caliper set-up..?! Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, though ;)

Reactions: Macintosh88
Why would they..?

Even though the numbers are ok, it depends on the design of the rim.
As they are not made for RS3, there is a minimal risk the rims can touch the caliper. At least on non OEM rims. But maybe R8 rims will fit perfectly, R8 caliper is big too.

Apologies - I was not asking the question for a technical answer - it was a poor attempt by me saying: if they fit an R8, they are sure to fit an RS3..!

Apologies - I was not asking the question for a technical answer - it was a poor attempt by me saying: if they fit an R8, they are sure to fit an RS3..!

Ohh sorry, maybe I miss understand you :sweatsmile: Yes it should fit straight in. Just wanna be sure it doesn´t hit anything before I buy 4 front rims :grinning:

I fitted 4 of these R8 front wheels to my TT RS Mark 3 (the new one) and there is lots of clearance. Should be fine on an RS3. You have the widths wrong on the willtheyfit graphic above. On the TT there is only a 3mm outer difference on an ET52 standard rim on the TT.

I fitted 4 of these R8 front wheels to my TT RS Mark 3 (the new one) and there is lots of clearance. Should be fine on an RS3. You have the widths wrong on the willtheyfit graphic above. On the TT there is only a 3mm outer difference on an ET52 standard rim on the TT.

Ahh ok, yes I see now, it´s 8,5J not 9J on R8 front rim.
Did you buy 4 fronts from ebay? Most of them only sell in set or just one rim. Maybe I can ask the seller just buy 4 front rim :grinning:

Ahh ok, yes I see now, it´s 8,5J not 9J on R8 front rim.
Did you buy 4 fronts from ebay? Most of them only sell in set or just one rim. Maybe I can ask the seller just buy 4 front rim :grinning:

@Macintosh88 - Do watch out for genuine wheel rims, I'm sure as a car guy you must already be aware of poor quality copies and the consequences of using those.......... Honestly don't mean to be putting a dampner on your enthusiasm for your mod, but wanted to give you the heads up.

Reactions: Macintosh88, Ozmosis and AudiNutta
@Macintosh88 - Do watch out for genuine wheel rims, I'm sure as a car guy you must already be aware of poor quality copies and the consequences of using those.......... Honestly don't mean to be putting a dampner on your enthusiasm for your mod, but wanted to give you the heads up.

Thanks @dunes7. Yes I know, it´s a lot of replica out there. So I will do my research first before I buy.
Maybe gonna wait till next year mars/april to buy... I´m gonna get my car late sept/oct. Wintertyres must put on in dec in Sweden anyway.

I managed to find four fronts on sale as a set on ebay.de, pretty much as new. They are nice wheels so I would have purchased two sets and sold off the rears.