Problem identification help

wuta3

Reaction score
Hi guys,

A bit of history; 100k 2.0TFSI engine, never caused me any issues (except the odd blocked pickup pipe). I spotted an oil leak near cover to the right of the HPFP (pics attached). Timing chain was replaced 20k miles ago due to a horrid rattle on that side of the engine. That rattle is still present (tbh the car has been rattly on the RHS of the top end since I got it at 55k miles).

The oil isn't coming from the breather line (I think it is a breather) there. The oil doesn't smell of petrol, so I assume the fuel pump seals are OK. Using a ratchet to feel the vibration source, it is strongest at the fuel pump itself and increases linearly with revs. Engine temp doesn't affect the sound, which makes me think cam-follower/lobe is shagged.

Now, I had the car in at a garage which is well respected on here and pointed out the oil leak in writing and requested the cam-follower replaced ... the car was handed back with nothing as far as I can tell being done.

Awesome GTI did the chain at 80k miles, 20k miles ago and (invoiced me for) cam-follower replaced too.

dDmmZhH.jpg

I edited this then realised there isn't a question ...

To drive or not to drive? Got a long trip coming up (400miles)