Intercooler info

MikeCrum1996

Reaction score
Just a quick one.. I was wondering what inter cooler options would I have to take my car to stage 2, could I use an inter cooler from another car such as a st or anything similar ? I've seen plenty on eBay universal ones..

Any help?

What car?

...and have you read the big FMIC thread linked in the FAQ's?

<tuffty/>

Do Airtec fit? I wish I got an Airtec - it is more expensive but would have fit and I would trust the 2 silicon pipes instead of the 12 connectors I have with my welly setup.

I have an airtec fmic and I can say they don't exactly fit well. I had to cut my bumper and the instructions you may as well bin them. but you can keep your fogs and if you cut carefully you won't see it from the front of the bumper and it definitely made an improvement over stock. I have pics if anyone wants them on fitting the airtec fmic

with a welly cooler I couldn't even get the bumper back into the same place I have trimmed the bumper and shaved the grills to be about 1mm thick. the worst bit is the lack of trust I have with all the bends and joins and clamps the Airtec has 4 clamps two onto the car and one either side of the intercooler.

I have about 12 and a pile of leftover pipes and joins. I did get an ST fitting kit which was only rated to 1 bar - the pipes were not beaded and the silicon hoses melted.

This is what Bill does to fit the welly coolers..

WellyCooler.jpg

<tuffty/>

Reactions: S3AMJ, willhutson74, GeorgieS3 and 3 others
Look excellent but that's because Bill's an expert (rather than a hack like me) - its a smart alternative does it still have the extra pipes on the drivers side not sure are they oil cooler or air con pipes? plus there's so much of the crash bar trimmed and the horn is relocated but it does have the fat end of the cooler at the top meaning the bumper will fit properly leaving the radiator, aircon and oil cooler all in place but.. there is still about 9 joins for an expert and test dyno this is easy - for me.... I had to fix the pipes on the side of the road with ants biting my face :D (although since the car has been out of MOT I haven't had any running issues ;) )

as a sneaky bit of any info, does Bill support the pipes anywhere mine are just hanging there which is okay on the throttle body side as it is a hard pipe but the charge pipe is rubber.

Toyosport cooler (welly cooler) with custom fabricated pipework. Original 76mm exits cut off and new 63mm ones welded on.
Pipework fabricated to suit fogs, grilles and toe eye point.

Btw.... Fogs do fit but I personally don't like them, hence why they have been off the car for past 5 years. Looks more aggressive without.
7d9b072a63c4a3fd9d06266c6aa32d3c.jpg
ffdff582027c1c7825c5d97c3e56329b.jpg
ec89728e2da5e300fa3fcd0c462911d5.jpg

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Reactions: superkarl
with a welly cooler I couldn't even get the bumper back into the same place I have trimmed the bumper and shaved the grills to be about 1mm thick. the worst bit is the lack of trust I have with all the bends and joins and clamps the Airtec has 4 clamps two onto the car and one either side of the intercooler.

I have about 12 and a pile of leftover pipes and joins. I did get an ST fitting kit which was only rated to 1 bar - the pipes were not beaded and the silicon hoses melted.
depends on how you go about fitting them.
We fit them fine. retain fogs, hidden from the outside..

Look excellent but that's because Bill's an expert (rather than a hack like me) - its a smart alternative does it still have the extra pipes on the drivers side not sure are they oil cooler or air con pipes? plus there's so much of the crash bar trimmed and the horn is relocated but it does have the fat end of the cooler at the top meaning the bumper will fit properly leaving the radiator, aircon and oil cooler all in place but.. there is still about 9 joins for an expert and test dyno this is easy - for me.... I had to fix the pipes on the side of the road with ants biting my face :D (although since the car has been out of MOT I haven't had any running issues ;) )

as a sneaky bit of any info, does Bill support the pipes anywhere mine are just hanging there which is okay on the throttle body side as it is a hard pipe but the charge pipe is rubber.
no supports on the pipework, flexi/hardpipe no. Same as oe, no support. they're pretty firm things in this size and combo of hardpipe

Thanks, I did check them whilst on ramps looking at the split power-steering pipe and they do feel quite secure.