MMI 3g plus retrofit completed vs baud rate problem

Screw90

Reaction score
Morning Ladies and Gents,

Recently retrofitted MMI 3G Plus to my C6. Unit runs q7 software and was originally taken from a8. All was p&p to my previous retrofit from 2g to 3G. While I was retrofitting Reverse camera I possibly change something in long coding helper and ended up with changed baud rate for control panel :( . To be sure I plugged different panel with no results. Then I plugged my 3G unit back and everything was working on both control panels therefore I am suspecting baud rate being changed to its original value. Can anyone assist with getting baud rate back to 9600 ?

Everything was working 5 days since retrofitted then after coding is gone. MMI still works, music is playing, movies are working. Display remains in "media1" so I can control from steering wheel but nothing works with panel apart from reset (setup+knob+right top function ).

Any idea how to get to green menu without working panel and change the baud rate ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the newer (3GP) MMI control panels, the communication always takes place serially.
However, the baud rate of the serial transmission was increased from the classic 9600 baud to 19200 baud.

So if you connect an "old" control panel to a new 3GP unit, the key control does not work.

Fortunately, the 3GP has a 9600 baud coding capability.
Byte 14 Bit 5 (coding) controls the baud rate.
If this bit is set, the 3GP Mainunit uses 9600 Baud to communicate with the control panel.
In turn, of course 19200 baud, if this bit is not set.

Reactions: Screw90
Thank you, so simply coding via VCDS should resolve the issue? As stated - this unit was set to c6 control panel but I messed it up myself. I've read on other forum that unfortunately long coding helper wasn't any helpful for other user with the same issue and it went through only via green menu using mmi 3GP panel from newer car. Let me check and will come back with answer if it works or not .

Edit :

14 byte, bit 5 solved the issue!!
You are my hero !:)

Last edited:
Hi B5NUT, I think I've read this thread while doing research. Thanks anyway. My "audi guru" told me as well that not always is possible to change the baud rate via closing. Thanks for sharing anyway. Hope it will help someone with the same issue in the future .

Hi guys,

sorry i know this is an old thread but I am having a similar issue which I think I need to change the baud rate but I am a bit of a newbie to all this so would really appreciate some guidance on how I change this.
Thanks