Facelift S3 - really disappointed

From peoples replies in this thread and others there appears to be some randomness in dsg responsiveness between cars. A 'characteristic' no doubt.
The 3 series is a step up as it's the class above the 1 series/A3. Don't think the original post was a slight against Audi (Which is dangerous around here):whistle2:

Most things listed are what they are and you will get used to them over time. To be fair though, the quickish testdrives that most people take don't really give a proper feel for the quirks of a car.

Think... the S3 is just a fast A3 and is great for all weather straight line speed. Use it as it's meant to be used and you'll settle into it better.
Thanks to everyone thats commented, i drove to bridlington and back today for the sheer hell of it and called off at a couple of dealers on the way back. To sum up audi doncaster agree there is some lag but service wasnt opened today to get their thoughts, they also commented that a3's gearboxes do differ in driving styles even in the same model range(why, or ******** me thinks) , unless the software variations are different? - they did let me out in a nice red s3 saloon which to be fair drove just like mine maybe which had 0 lag in comfort mode, the gearbox was perfect and dare i say it handled better though still felt a little dead.

I called off at doncaster bmw and had a quick 30 mins on my own out in an M140 and to be fair this is probably the car i should have got, it had magic my s3 simply hasnt got, though without doubt the interior is no where as nice compared to the a3

I'm going to do the figures tonight how much it will cost to get me out of the s3 - this is my first venture with audi and i promise i'm not against the brand, just this car is not for me - lesson learnt, dont buy a car on the strength of 30 min test drive with a dealer, get a 24 hour test drive, most dealers will do them i've since learnt.

i may list it on this forum sometime soon.

But thanks for everyones help.

Reactions: mister.c., Jassyo06 and Rolly12
I am in a PFL , and still love the car . Though I was looking for a small luxury hatch with a bit of poke , but does not look all boy racer .
I it is not a sports car in my eyes and like most road cars would be rubbish in the track .
That said I think drive select is a missed opportunity. Eco , fair enough it does feel different ( horrible that is ) all the others change up too early and dynamic in sport too late unless you are looking to lose your licence. ( fun though) . The " pause" at junctions is nasty! Like others I flick into sport or use the paddles. My wife hates it and wants our deisel back as that had no such issues .
I do agree a car at this price should not have this fault ( or personality).

That is the worse thing though , there are a few other issues (rusting tail pipes , poor and expensive dealerships) . Would I buy another , yes I would as I want a hatch.

Though could be tempted with a F type Jag , best car I have driven ..

Thank you, at least im not alone with the lag - I love the look of the F type jag and by all accounts it has bmw beaten in terms of handling, driving.

I may be tempted to visit a jag dealer this week.

Thanks again, unfortunately i'm all but done with the s3, i just cant get to grips with it.

Thanks again to all that have commented and give. tips. Great forum.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I honestly believe that many owners of the DSG transmission do not understand how it works. In individual modes set up the car for how you want it to perform for all modes, steering, transmission, quatro etc. and modify for different conditions as you wish. The DSG transmission is not laggy if set up properly and there is no way you can up shift or down shift as fast in a manual gearbox. The DSG in manual mode is truly fun, perfect rev matching fast down shifts.

Reactions: Scottyg, Andy F and Audi Bairn
I honestly believe that many owners of the DSG transmission do not understand how it works. In individual modes set up the car for how you want it to perform for all modes, steering, transmission, quatro etc. and modify for different conditions as you wish. The DSG transmission is not laggy if set up properly and there is no way you can up shift or down shift as fast in a manual gearbox. The DSG in manual mode is truly fun, perfect rev matching fast down shifts.
I'm trying to get to grips with it. i've got all the settings exactly as they should be for me - in manual its great i love the changes, but 90% of the time i would just like a smooth auto round town, there is definitely 100% lag in my car if i pull up to a roundabout, see a gap and accelerate, the pause is frustrating and completely puts me off the car. If you're nearby you're more than welcome to have a drive in my car.

The lag is well documented but doesn't affect everyone it seems. One German reviewer on YouTube even questioned VW/Audi about it and was told it was built in on purpose or something along those lines.

Thing to remember is with a dual clutch is exactly that - it has two clutches, it's not a traditional automatic using hydraulic fluid, it still has a clutch and still has to have time to take up drive. Stomping on it from a standstill will be a short delay for the clutch to engage. I have driven a B8 dual clutch and gave experienced delay or hesitation in gear selection in that.

I think personally a dual clutch probably suits a diesel better to a degree as the torque of a diesel can mask it.

The lag is well documented but doesn't affect everyone it seems. One German reviewer on YouTube even questioned VW/Audi about it and was told it was built in on purpose or something along those lines.

No no, you're talking about two very different things. OP is experiencing some sort of lag when pulling away from junctions. The video you speak about is for Autogefuehl and is reference to when you use kick down, and there is a funny noise and half a second of lag before full acceleration is delivered. This is due to both clutch packs opening, not related to OPs 'issue'.

My A3 S-Line 1.4 CoD lags when rolling in 1st at a junction or roundabout and flooring it to nip in - there's a good 2-3 seconds where nothing happens. I counter this by either accelerating a few seconds before I want to start moving (not always easy to predict) or by dropping the gear selector into Sport mode where no such lag is experienced.

I find Reverse is the same. I never touch the accelerator in reverse otherwise it will lurch violently. I just let it roll under its own steam.

The only two things I can criticise on an otherwise utterly brilliant gearbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Update - more bad news unfortunately, this time with the ****** car being faulty! came to start the car this morning and it wouldnt fire, took around 10 mins trying different things and it eventually started and ran on what seemed 2 cylinders for a couple of minutes before clearing and been fine for the 10 mile drive. All was well for the rest of today until leaving work where its completely dead, the virtual cockpit flicked numerous drive errors but all i get from the car is a click.

Audi assist visited and diagnosed an issue with the coil pack (i'm not so convinced it didnt even try start in the afternoon) either way its been towed to sheffield dealership and i have a 2.0tdi front wheel drive a5 which is a bit.. meh. Anyway im wondering if theres an underlying fault with the s3 that could also have been causing the lag i describe at length. I have asked them to also investigate whilst its in.

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: richinsoton and Jassyo06
Update - more bad news unfortunately, this time with the ****** car being faulty! came to start the car this morning and it wouldnt fire, took around 10 mins trying different things and it eventually started and ran on what seemed 2 cylinders for a couple of minutes before clearing and been fine for the 10 mile drive. All was well for the rest of today until leaving work where its completely dead, the virtual cockpit flicked numerous drive errors but all i get from the car is a click.

Audi assist visited and diagnosed an issue with the coil pack (i'm not so convinced it didnt even try start in the afternoon) either way its been towed to sheffield dealership and i have a 2.0tdi front wheel drive a5 which is a bit.. meh. Anyway im wondering if theres an underlying fault with the s3 that could also have been causing the lag i describe at length. I have asked them to also investigate whilst its in.

Fingers crossed.
I think there must be underlying issues causing the lag, I have the Stronic and find it to be responsive and extremely responsive in S. my friend has a 335d xdrive which I was in today, I didn't notice any material difference in gear change ferocity.

Fingers crossed you at least get the car big fixed so that you can make a better informed decision.

Handling however, the 335d even in tourer form is a lot more precise to drive.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
I think there must be underlying issues causing the lag, I have the Stronic and find it to be responsive and extremely responsive in S. my friend has a 335d xdrive which I was in today, I didn't notice any material difference in gear change ferocity.

Fingers crossed you at least get the car big fixed so that you can make a better informed decision.

Handling however, the 335d even in tourer form is a lot more precise to drive.
I think you're right, something just didnt feel right with it from day one. Though i have never felt the engine misfire or anything which makes me wonder if it really is the coil packs, i'll know more over the next couple of days.

I'm surprised you say the 335d is more precise as a lot of the beemer guys complain the standard handling is terrible on the 335d's as it comes on non m sport suspension even when ordered as an m sport car due to the x drive, most people change the springs, thats why i asked if anything was possible spring wise for my s3... my ex 330d was on m sport suspension and is was an absolute tool through the corners, i miss the way it drove if im honest.

Kinda looking forward to getting the s3 back to see if i can restart the relationship so to speak!

I think you're right, something just didnt feel right with it from day one. Though i have never felt the engine misfire or anything which makes me wonder if it really is the coil packs, i'll know more over the next couple of days.

I'm surprised you say the 335d is more precise as a lot of the beemer guys complain the standard handling is terrible on the 335d's as it comes on non m sport suspension even when ordered as an m sport car due to the x drive, most people change the springs, thats why i asked if anything was possible spring wise for my s3... my ex 330d was on m sport suspension and is was an absolute tool through the corners, i miss the way it drove if im honest.

Kinda looking forward to getting the s3 back to see if i can restart the relationship so to speak!

And they all lived happily ever after...... :yahoo:

Hope all goes well once she returns mate.

My son has a 430d lci as his demo, it drives pretty well steering feel for a diesel is good nowt special but hands down far better than the S3, where the 430d really is dire is its agricultural sounding derv engine especially at low speeds, it sounds dreadful, now to put things in perspective l am sure given that there is a fault with your Audi.... and hopefully it will get resolved, even so it will still have lag to a extent they all do... I would rather a petrol car over the diesel, why not a 340/440i car instead of the Audi, l just couldn't live with that tractor like sounding engine at slow speeds

Reactions: PanamaS3, Audi Bairn, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
My son has a 430d lci as his demo, it drives pretty well steering feel for a diesel is good nowt special but hands down far better than the S3, where the 430d really is dire is its agricultural sounding derv engine especially at low speeds, it sounds dreadful, now to put things in perspective l am sure given that there is a fault with your Audi.... and hopefully it will get resolved, even so it will still have lag to a extent they all do... I would rather a petrol car over the diesel, why not a 340/440i car instead of the Audi, l just couldn't live with that tractor like sounding engine at slow speeds
I'm going to give them the chance to look at the lag, this could be a blessing in disguise that it developed the non start today as at least now they might actually give the lag issue some time of day.

I'm not so keen in moving to a 340/440 I really was sold on the hot hatch idea of the s3, i may take a look at a golf r if we dont get anywhere with the audi, or maybe even an M140i,

Agree on the petrol over diesel sound, i didnt realise how bad the 330d was until i got the s3. the 330 did sound alright at higher revs for a diesel though to be fair.

Out of interest why do you think that they will not fix the lag issue?

Thanks

@chrissy85 Do you have auto-hold spec'd in your car mate? That causes some extra lag when pulling away, try turning it off and see that improves things. I've since learn't to drive around it.

I really struggled to get on with the S3 initially and still kinda do a bit. The box takes time to get to know it's quirks. I find the engine pretty strong, the grip and body control are also pretty damn good imo. It lacks steering feel, which is well documented and the ride is firm, even with MagRide it's still too firm in Dynamic for normal driving. Otherwise, it's awesome... if unreliable.

I'm hoping a change of tyres improves the feel abit in the future.

On the gearbox note, I find the S-Tronic a bit jerky sometimes in 'S' mode, gives a little kick when letting off the throttle, almost like the gearbox/engine mounts are a bit worn (which they might be). I also find the throttle laggy, with too much 'dead' peddle in almost all modes unless the box is in 'S' mode.

It's not a perfect car, but then... find me one that is. I am struggling to love the S3, it seems soulless at times and I'm not sure I'll have another after this one in a few years time. But, I keep an open mind on it. It's a lovely place to spend time, the interior is a wonderful environment with the SS seats.

Reactions: PanamaS3, Djs3saloon, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
I'm going to give them the chance to look at the lag, this could be a blessing in disguise that it developed the non start today as at least now they might actually give the lag issue some time of day.

I'm not so keen in moving to a 340/440 I really was sold on the hot hatch idea of the s3, i may take a look at a golf r if we dont get anywhere with the audi, or maybe even an M140i,

Agree on the petrol over diesel sound, i didnt realise how bad the 330d was until i got the s3. the 330 did sound alright at higher revs for a diesel though to be fair.

Out of interest why do you think that they will not fix the lag issue?

Thanks
I have had a S3 for 30 months and counting and if your not on top of your game/pre occupied /fatigued it can lag/semi stall driving away from a roundabout etc.... Done it last week due to being pre occupied

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I think this is a bit harsh overall compared to the other sound advise i've been receiving on here... especially the bit telling me to **** off where i belong.

I assumed as i currently have an audi (and would like to get to grips with it) an audi forum would have been the best place to start? Clearly not, i may just take your advice and disappear off of here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mister.c.
I think this is a bit harsh overall compared to the other sound advise i've been receiving on here... especially the bit telling me to **** off where i belong.

I assumed as i currently have an audi (and would like to get to grips with it) an audi forum would have been the best place to start? Clearly not, i may just take your advice and disappear off of here.
That was a personal opinion and doesn't mean that others agree. You will find us mostly friendly and helpful. We hope you get enjoyment from the forum. :)

Reactions: TDI-line, mister.c., Audi Bairn and 2 others

Stick around and try get a feel for the car, hopefully you get to grips with the box once the issues have been resolved.

I'm in a 3dr and the handling is very poor, I always thought the s3 as being a small sports car but really it's just a fast straight line A3, which I can except now and was a bit naive to think otherwise. Having driven the 335 it is leagues above my S3 handling wise.

Previous to my S3 I had the latest generation TT with oil burner and the handling in that was far superior, unfortunately £10k more for a TTS was too much of a stretch.

Reactions: PanamaS3 and Jassyo06

Don't take it personally mate. Some people just don't like anyone saying their choice of car isn't the best car you can buy.

As for the DSG box. I had an S3 DSG as a demo for the day, and quickly realised that I didn't like them. I encountered lag. The manual mode on the gear selector is the wrong way round, so would never use it, and found the paddles to be too small and after 30mins I'd stopped using them.

I'm seriously considering an RS3 Saloon, but won't order one till I've had an extended test drive. Apparently the gearbox is better on the RS3, but I need to find out for myself. Not spending £52k on a car then hating it as all I'll do it steer. I'm a bit old school in that I enjoy the interaction of a manual gearbox.

Unfortunately I can see myself leaving the Audi brand altogether in the next few years, as every S & RS car will without a manual option. Currently just S3 & S1. I'm assuming the next S3 will be Auto only.

Reactions: richinsoton and mister.c.
^^ wot wab172uk says.
I will leave the Audi brand with my next car due to the lack of manual boxes. Already decided to not buy a TTRS nor RS3 simply as I don't like having to work around the admittedly functionally superb (under normal circumstances) auto gearbox.
Some rumours out of the US reckon the Golf R400 is back on the cards ;)

Get your S3 fixed and see how you go.

Reactions: richinsoton
I do get the lag thing - it does exist, partially just due to it being a turbo engine and partially to stop the front wheels spinning if you do floor it from standstill. It's clearly avoidable with launch control, so there are ways around it.... but in day to day life its about an adaption in driving style. The electronics will not give you full boost if you have steering angle on too much - it was the same in my old A4, it felt like it was broken, but its a safety measure there for a reason. Maybe turn traction control to sport....?

I should imagine there is also some lag in a BMW diesel too, but as torque comes in earlier, its probably less noticeable at low revs. Likewise with the S3, you keep your foot down for longer to rev the engine out as the torque comes in later, but keeps coming longer.

Personally, and this is after 3 1/2 years with two different DSG S3's, you do get used to it. You do get more aggressive with the throttle if you are nipping into a gap. You figure out that you need to hold your foot down longer and then the thing REALLY takes off. You work out that you can feed the power back in half way round a corner and the front will pull you round as opposed to pushing the back wide and that under steer can be banished with a little thinking.

My point is give it time - you've got a brand new car which will doubtless drive differently to the one you came out of.

They are epic little hatchbacks, doing 0-60 in 4.5 seconds happily all day, everyday (until a coil pack fails! but this happens to all manufacturers). They handle well enough for UK roads but are not a track day tool or out and out sports car - think GT car. There isn't much out there that will beat you off the lights or up to NSL that isn't significantly more expensive. I have a gripe about the suspension being too hard and the boot too small for me these days but that's subjective and probably just means that I've out grown the vehicle.

As an all rounder (speed, looks, comfort, functionality and then price), its probably the best car I have had.

Give it a bit of time and learn how it works...

Go find some country roads. :peace:

Reactions: BarryG79, BigBill, Timi8888 and 4 others
I hate to be the giver of bad news and be extremely blunt after having only scanned through the above conversation.

Theirs almost certainly nothing wrong with your box you just haven't found out how to work 'WITH' it.
Your car not starting is almost certainly coincidental and will not have any effect on your gearbox. Think about it... Gearbox, Engine not starting? Not related.
If you have no lights on your dashboard Audi wont be interested in looking at the gearbox, because you wont be able to 'demo' the clunkiness because it's normal, and theirs no faults showing. They cant just strip a gearbox on that basis, it will probably do more harm than good.
The dealership still wont want to know and spend time looking at your issue (which to me sounds like the car isn't for you) as the lads in that workshop make £100 an hour for them, it would take three hours by the time they've followed all the TPI's and so forth, £300 lost that day, the dealers are very busy :)

Sorry to be blunt but I hope this helps you more than me feeding you false lies and hope

LOL

You work out that you can feed the power back in half way round a corner and the front will pull you round

yep...slow in fast out, and you will be surprised how quickly it picks up out of a bend and gains hand over fist on the cars ahead

You'll adapt....but lower the ****** thing..at least thats a start....and wont **** up....any warranty,the DSG takes a wee bit getting use to it really does its slow to downshif tand too quick to change up.....you hit 5th gear just after 33 mph.....gash,l only use auto mode to pull away...like until it hits 3rd...then its all manual changes from then.....always in manual,except from pulling away

Out of interest when in manual and about to redline. Will the car upshift at any point?

In your MMI optional individual transmission mode set it to auto.....it will give a response between dynamic and comfort
Should I have to develop a knack though? The response is good in sports, why can't it be in the nice soft comfort setting?

Sounds you need to set your "individual" mode. Match all the comfort settings but keep your throttle response in dynamic.

Out of interest when in manual and about to redline. Will the car upshift at any point?

Yeah, it'll rev out to the red line and then upshift... it won't bang into the limiter. Same for downshifts.

Yes it will up shift just before it hits the limiter in manual mode think only after 4th gear though

... especially the bit telling me to **** off where i belong..

I must've missed that bit. Please don't tar us all with the same brush. It's generally a friendly helpful bunch on here, especially compared with other forums, even if we don't always agree on some things.

Reactions: PanamaS3, richinsoton, sugardaddy and 4 others
I must've missed that bit. Please don't tar us all with the same brush. It's generally a friendly helpful bunch on here, especially compared with other forums, even if we don't always agree on some things.

I think I'm missing that part out too. The chaps here are all pretty nice, I can sometimes be a bit sarcastic and straight to the point

the guy has deleted the post, i will find the email notification and post what he put.

Reactions: richinsoton and Audi Bairn
the guy has deleted the post, i will find the email notification and post what he put.

At least he didn't scare you away eh ;)

Hope you found my post honest and helpful more than anything. I'm a service advisor for Volkswagen so I sometimes have accurate responses to questions... Sometimes...

Reactions: PanamaS3, Russkiya, Audi Bairn and 1 other person

I read it and thought was that person drunk when they wrote it as it was particularly harsh and out of order. It's your opinion on your car and your entitled to that.

Reactions: richinsoton and Audi Bairn
I read it and thought was that person drunk when they wrote it as it was particularly harsh and out of order. It's your opinion on your car and your entitled to that.
I read it as well, and yes, it was out of order and possibly written whilst under the influence.
I think Admin had a hand in removing the post, to be honest I can't blame them, it's not something we usually see on this forum.

Reactions: PanamaS3, Scottyg and Audi Bairn

Hope it wasn't a regular on here, it's not a common occurrence. Anyway, you're still with us so that's the main thing :yes:

Reactions: Rolly12
Sandra deleted it. I got to the Report after it was actioned. Not a reflection of the guys on here. Yeah, you'll get some friendly banter but all in good fun.
As has been said, don't just bin the car. Try and work with it and see if you can get enjoyment. If you're still the same in a couple of months chop it in.
I've got S-Tronic but in oil burner guise. I don't get lag coming away from junctions or pulling away, it's pretty nippy at pulling away. However, I get lag/wrong gear syndrome of the S-Tronic box when cruising and go to accelerate. Although, I've learned to get round it by maually bumping it down a gear or two before flooring it.
Stick around, the forum also needs reviews like this to allow people to make informed choices and have discussion with owners to assist if possible.
When are you getting an update on the car??

Reactions: Joe4842, Mark_86, jungle650 and 2 others
Hi guys thanks for removing the comment too, really surprised by the guys response and indication i must be driving the car wrong!

The car won't be looked at until friday unfortunately, apparently they are busy doing pdi's for the end of the month.. great!

I'll keep you upto date though.

Reactions: richinsoton, Bristle Hound, Mark_86 and 4 others
Hi guys thanks for removing the comment too, really surprised by the guys response and indication i must be driving the car wrong!

The car won't be looked at until friday unfortunately, apparently they are busy doing pdi's for the end of the month.. great!

Yep that sounds like my dealership :)

Instances like this really nark me, they should be prioritising your car, you are already paying for it and have been provided a defective product.