Advice - New car - How much should I pay?

Guzza

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am looking at buying a new Audi A3 Sportback but like everyone want to get it at 'THE BEST PRICE' I can possibly get.

Luckily, one of the dealers I have already been in to register with has called me to say they are having a 'cost price plus £1' event this weekend (although I expect this will be a September promotion).

I have spec'd up a car I would ideally like to have (yes, it is very high spec!!)...

uk.audi.com/A1VVP2L8 <-- copy into browser if doesn't work

1) do you prefer Cosmos Blue or Daytona Grey colour and why? (personal preference but I am always interested)

2) what would you say is the true cost price of the above model?

3) what would you try and negotiate into the deal (expected purchase/lower price, extras like mats/light up door sills etc)?

4) Are there any options you would add/remove from my spec?

My budget is far away from that list price so I don't want to go in there looking like a fool or end up with an inferior model!

For those who don't want to/can't click link, here's the overall spec:-

A3 Sportback S-Line 1.5 TFSI
S-Tronic
Metallic Paint
Seqeunce Cloth/Leather Interior (w/ Interior Lighting Pack now as standard)
Technology Pack
Comfort & Sound Pack
Drivers Assistance Pack
Matrix LED Exterior Lighting Pack
Non Smoking Pack (standard)
Storage Pack (standard)
Advanced Key
Folding Door Mirrors
Privacy Glass
Rear-view Camera

Thanks all in advance,

Guzza

WTF I just clicked the link!!! £35k for a 1.5 sportback....you can get an S3 for that!

Use carwow to get some ideas on price. One thing I would also suggest, look at the Black Edition, yes it's more more but also holds its price better, so you could find you pay the same (if on a PCP deal) and some of your options come as standard.

or quick links for instant quotes without having to put ANY details of yours in:

https://www.orangewheels.co.uk/

https://www.coast2coastcars.co.uk/car-quote/

*EDIT* as for the cost price plus £1 event I don't believe that, especially at the start of a month! I got a so called 'special event deal' a few months back, yes they gave me more for my PX, but then gave me less discount on the new car....Best time to get a good deal is at the end of the month or end of the 1/4. The end of the 1/4 is this month...so wait a few weeks. I waited until the end of last month and got 21.4% off an A5 coupe by using figures from carwow vs local dealership price match! The closet behind was around 18% discount.

Last edited:
Reactions: OST
Thanks for the links!

Yep, I used carwow a while back and that got it down to about £31k - those 2 sites brought it to £30k and £29k.

How true is that of cost price though - there is surely a lot more margin that can be taken out of that?? For instance, could I get all that for £25k or am I completely barking mad?

I'd say you want to be aiming more for £30k with a £35k list price. I got my S3 BE SB for £37,215 down from £41,870

That is a hell of a lot of money for a 1.5!!

Reactions: jimojameso
Not a great comparison though, the bog standard 1.5 S-Line S-Tronic is £28,995 OTR, bog standard RS3 is £44,300 OTR (£15,305 difference)

I think the principle still applies however!

Not a great comparison though, the bog standard 1.5 S-Line S-Tronic is £28,995 OTR, bog standard RS3 is £44,300 OTR (£15,305 difference)

Much rather a bog standard RS3 than a specced up 1.5 s-line...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jimojameso and Bristle Hound
Difference is, you wouldn't pay £35k for a specc'd 1.5, you'd still pay £42k for the RS3, plus the increased tax, insurance and running costs.

I'm sure if the OP wanted/could afford an RS3 he wouldn't be looking at a 1.5

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn and RichardT
True discount you mean 12 to 13%

Options are a personal thing end of

Who can get a RS3 For £42k tell me please and give me there phone number

Reactions: Audi Bairn, TDI-line and Terminator x
If that link does not work its on drivethedeal

Reactions: Jassyo06
Just checked on DriveTheDeal & I'm getting the following discounts

£2115 discount on a base RS3 saloon
£2058 discount on a base RS3 Sportback

Just checked on DriveTheDeal & I'm getting the following discounts

£2115 discount on a base RS3 saloon
£2058 discount on a base RS3 Sportback

Surprising that is, I only ever got a max of about £1500 on carwow and even then that was only from 1 or 2 dealers, on the PFL. Majortiy of them didn't give any!

Stunned. Base RS3 is grim though perhaps they screw people on the options?

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Hi all!

I am looking at buying a new Audi A3 Sportback but like everyone want to get it at 'THE BEST PRICE' I can possibly get.

Luckily, one of the dealers I have already been in to register with has called me to say they are having a 'cost price plus £1' event this weekend (although I expect this will be a September promotion).

I have spec'd up a car I would ideally like to have (yes, it is very high spec!!)...

uk.audi.com/A1VVP2L8 <-- copy into browser if doesn't work

1) do you prefer Cosmos Blue or Daytona Grey colour and why? (personal preference but I am always interested)

2) what would you say is the true cost price of the above model?

3) what would you try and negotiate into the deal (expected purchase/lower price, extras like mats/light up door sills etc)?

4) Are there any options you would add/remove from my spec?

My budget is far away from that list price so I don't want to go in there looking like a fool or end up with an inferior model!

For those who don't want to/can't click link, here's the overall spec:-

A3 Sportback S-Line 1.5 TFSI
S-Tronic
Metallic Paint
Seqeunce Cloth/Leather Interior (w/ Interior Lighting Pack now as standard)
Technology Pack
Comfort & Sound Pack
Drivers Assistance Pack
Matrix LED Exterior Lighting Pack
Non Smoking Pack (standard)
Storage Pack (standard)
Advanced Key
Folding Door Mirrors
Privacy Glass
Rear-view Camera

Thanks all in advance,

Guzza
Wow 35 k for a 1.5 Audi a3? Mate your being robbed right there you can buy a new audi s3 with a decent spec for about that much these days. I wouldn't pay 35 k for a 2.0 tdi nvm a 1.5. Just my thoughts on it. If i were in your shoes id Buy the s3 all day however if you really want a 1.5 there are better deals to be had out there.

Guzza,

very nice spec, i had a look with your code, and if you changed trim to Black Edition, would cost an additional £1150.00, as you've already specced some BE options, and Comfort pack is cheaper too.

And would be better residual value.

Cosmos or Daytona, Cosmos is not as common and is a nice newer colour, but you cannot go wrong with Daytona.

Finance request sent mate, if it's true l will cancel my S3
Jeez oh, I'd just done a jassy and convinced myself not to go for the RS3 but this discussion's got me turning my head again. Let me know how you get on mate please.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and BarryG79
Thanks for the links!

Yep, I used carwow a while back and that got it down to about £31k - those 2 sites brought it to £30k and £29k.

How true is that of cost price though - there is surely a lot more margin that can be taken out of that?? For instance, could I get all that for £25k or am I completely barking mad?
Another £6k off carwow prices...they will laugh at you.....you want £10k off an A3 sportback that sells well! The car you are looking at in base form loses about 50% over 3 years, you are asking them to take 33% off straight away!
Your options are dead money, you pay for them each month and then get book price come trade in. Every £1k adds about £25 per month to your payments.

This cost price plus £1, you will find it will be on certain models that they can't shift and they will have no extra contribution or low finance toward them....you get nothing for nothing!

Last edited:
Reactions: Reggieboy71 and Jassyo06
How are you looking to pay for it? Are you getting it on finance or straight purchase?

Jeez oh, I'd just done a jassy and convinced myself not to go for the RS3 but this discussion's got me turning my head again. Let me know how you get on mate please.
I certainly will mate, as most know the reason l didn't order a RS3 was because l could not get a discount

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I'm in the same position as the OP, I'm going for a 1.5 TFSI but with a lot of options! Now yes I could buy an S3, but it would be the base model with no options. Now I don't want or need an S3, there have been so many reports of thefts of S3's I just don't want to put my family at risk by buying one (The S3 is a sort after car, so for obvious reasons its on the scumbags radar..). Secondly my wife is wanting some of the options so unless I find more money I cannot buy the S3 with the options I want.

I'm also not planning on selling the car, will keep if for at least 7 years +, by that time I would have had my money from the options.

Also for the next 7 years the 1.5 will be a cheap car to maintain and run. Fully understand it won't be as much fun but Mrs B5 is just looking for a nice car with all of the modern gadgets.

Reactions: Trevolly, glospete, Reggieboy71 and 6 others
Hi mate, the car broker has emailed me back he said that there dealer would be in contact with asap

Wonder if it's gonna be the old 'if it looks too good to be true...'

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Djs3saloon
I'm in the same position as the OP, I'm going for a 1.5 TFSI but with a lot of options! Now yes I could buy an S3, but it would be the base model with no options. Now I don't want or need an S3, there have been so many reports of thefts of S3's I just don't want to put my family at risk by buying one (The S3 is a sort after car, so for obvious reasons its on the scumbags radar..).

That pretty sums up my reasons for going with 1.5 S-Line heavy on the options. I'm running mine as a company car so I also had to keep in mind the monthly tax bill. The 1.5 is a good trade between performance and BiK cost. For me, the difference in monthly tax payments between the S-Line and the S3 across the year is 10 nights in the Caribbean (although perhaps not right now !) . I've just passed 500 miles in mine and the engine is starting to loosen up well. I've come from a Golf GTD with the 184ps and in most situations I'm struggling to identify any real differences in performance over the 1.5

From memory on 3 yr PCH I got 13% discount ish

Reactions: glospete, Audi Bairn and KenL
Thanks for all your responses - from the completely honest telling me I'm barking mad, those wanting me to upgrade to S3 and those that are/were in a similar position to me when choosing their model.

To respond to replies:-
  • I will be purchasing cash (with upto £25k unsecured personal loan, the rest from savings - I can afford all cash but 'opportunity cost' of that £25k can be invested to recoup interest paid out over the 5 year term I would take out).
  • I currently drive a 1.2 Clio Campus which I bought new in 2007, so as much as I love cars and would love to hoon it in a S3 or a 400HP RS3, it's just not a practical solution for what I need it for - as a couple of posters have said, this is a family car so option heavy vs extra PS it'll be the former. As I intend to keep this car for a minimum of 10 years, I don't want to make the same mistake I made when I bought the clio and only take 1 option (a/c... which incidentally has stopped working) and also I want to future-proof it in terms of tech as much as I possible.
  • Looking at what a couple of posters are saying, 13% seems to be cut off for max discount so thanks for the tips!
  • A lot of people saying I'm mad looking at £35k 1.5... I would NEVER pay that much. Also, I am aware my tongue-in-cheek wanting to buy it for £25k is almost guaranteed that the dealer would NEVER sell it for that - so ideally I'm looking at much sub 30k with hard negotiations on 'thrown-in' extras.
  • Thanks for the tip on looking at Black Edition - on carwow the difference in 2 similarly spec'd cars gives a difference of £200! (best deal on Black Edition is £31,571 cash/£30,721 on PCP vs S-Line £31,339/£30,489)
  • The 'build an A3' site doesn't show the Cosmos Blue in true light - it doesn't look great on a Black Edition in comparison to say the Daytona/Black variants. However, I just spotted this bad boy: http://www.baronsgroup.co.uk/audi/used-cars/a3/tfsi-s-line-black-edition/en17ayt - wow!
EN17AYT-1.jpg

Keep the comments coming, I can't be offended by your honesty - If I did, I wouldn't have posted in the first place!

Can someone also confirm whether the new 1.5 engines come with CoD like the outgoing 1.4s? I don't see any mention of it recently.

- Guzza

Last edited:
Reactions: David McQueen, KenL, BarryG79 and 5 others
If buying outright, your best bet is to get it on finance to get the maximum contribution, then settle the finance within 14days. The logistics of getting a car on PCP, then trying to secure a personal loan for £25k might be interesting though....Certainly will be the cheapest way to buy new though (well...apart form just straight cash!).

As for discount, the best I think you can hope for is 14/15%, so about £5k off.

It might be worth looking at decent used models to see if a high spec one comes it at less than £30k. It's probably unlikely, but it would be the easiest way as you would haven't to worry about getting it on PCP, then settling that with a loan to get the best price. You could argue that having an extra driver and slightly more miles will affect resale down the line, but given your intentions to keep for 10+ years, I don't think this is worth fretting over.

In my experience, used examples were actually more expensive than discounted new models. Worth look though!

Oh and yes, the 1.5 is CoD tech, just like the 1.4.

My honest opinion, I think there is a balance between the way a car drives, and the comfort/tech involved. For me, I could never justify £30k on a 1.5 A3. I would much sooner buy a decent, well specced pre-FL S3 for about £27k and enjoy the engine. Running costs are so marginal and the enjoyment of the engine and performance is much greater to me that it would be a no brainer.

Or....sod the A3 and buy my S5 for £30k :p

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-s5-black-edition-65-plate.340741/

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Bells, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Maybe worth selecting optional extended warranty too, as your keeping it for a long time.

Maybe worth selecting optional extended warranty too, as your keeping it for a long time.

I'm hoping to negotiate that into the deal but it's certainly something to consider!

If buying outright, your best bet is to get it on finance to get the maximum contribution, then settle the finance within 14days.

Is it possible so soon after - I heard rumours it had to be 3 or 6 months minimum or is that a web of lies?

Or....sod the A3 and buy my S5 for £30k :p

Nice car!!! But 5 doors is the absolute 1st priority this time round! :(

I just tried to pre-apply for an unsecured loan. Didn't go as well as I'd hoped which has bemused me. So instead, I have gone back to my current loan provider and been pre-approved for a top-up of £20k to add on the current £5k outstanding whilst dropping the rate from 4.9% to 3.3% so a little saving made on the current outstanding loan amount but now means I've got to plump in extra cash to the purchase! Much to think about over the coming days!

-Guzza

I'm hoping to negotiate that into the deal but it's certainly something to consider!

Is it possible so soon after - I heard rumours it had to be 3 or 6 months minimum or is that a web of lies?

Nice car!!! But 5 doors is the absolute 1st priority this time round! :(

I just tried to pre-apply for an unsecured loan. Didn't go as well as I'd hoped which has bemused me. So instead, I have gone back to my current loan provider and been pre-approved for a top-up of £20k to add on the current £5k outstanding whilst dropping the rate from 4.9% to 3.3% so a little saving made on the current outstanding loan amount but now means I've got to plump in extra cash to the purchase! Much to think about over the coming days!

-Guzza

Nope, all lies. You can pay whenever you want, as much as you want. By paying it off in full within 14days you don't incur any interest charges. Some will wait a couple of months and then pay off. They pay a small amount in interest, but help the dealer out by not clawing back any commission on selling the finance, which I understand happens if paid in 14days (note that's the dealerships commission from Audi, not the contribution you get off the car).

Yea getting the top rate is hard enough on a loan <£20....you've done well at 3.3%!

Reactions: Audi Bairn