Weight

paddy

Reaction score
Just out of interest has anyone ever stripped out an S3 to up the power to weight ratio. Obviously if you have 300bhp pulling a std 1.42 tons its never going to set the world on fire...but how much of that weight could you strip out ? Anyone who has tried to pick up an electric seat will know where i am coming from. :)

Even the standard S3 seats are pretty hefty.

Biggest interior weight reduction would be from removing the rear backrests and the bench. They probably weigh close to a small adult. Replacing the front seats with a set of lightweight sport seats would probably get you a good amount of weight saving too. Other than that, you could start removing aircon, replace windows with plexy glass (or whatever they use in race cars).

The plastic trim is pretty light, but you could go to town on that too. Ultimately though, the S3 is heavy mostly due to the haldex system in my opinion, so for all out lightweight car it's probably the wrong base to start with.

Yea i wondered but maybe the 4WD would make up for its own weight in handling. Look what a difference it made to the group B rally carts when it first arrived..fare cheaper to take things out than add performance things and however much you add its never going to make up for less mass.