Oh no..Engine and Part Queries..

CountryGent

Reaction score
Ok, after getting some very useful feedback on things to look at replacing as a matter of course- cam follower diverter valve, Cam chain tensioner, PCV, I had a look under the bonnet. I tookk this picture to show what I mean when I ask shuld there be a splash guard to go under here? It looks as if there was one originally. Do different models have them as standard or is it a additional item purchase?
IMG 18731

The next part is relating to me and my possible approach to Audi in relation to the 'high oil useage' test and any subsequent engine works. Is this 'high oil useage' still something people suffer with - curious as everything relating to it relates to June/July 2015.

Are the coil packs below genuine Audi? I'm thinking that I will add new spark plugs and coil packs to my list of works. I want the engine to be as together as poible so that Audi might be more willing to take the reasonable approach with regards to oil useage test and anything else that they may need to work on as a result.

Also in the picture, on the coil look (?) there looks like there should be two screws/bolts securing it to the engine block, any one know what they are?

Thanks for your advice...

IMG 18741

Thah
IMG 18751
IMG 18731 IMG 18741 IMG 18751 IMG 18731 IMG 18741 IMG 18751

are you sitting down and ready for another long reply chap....if not maybe an idea to sit down with a long drink and prepare for the good and bad news.

Reactions: CountryGent
are you sitting down and ready for another long reply chap....if not maybe an idea to sit down with a long drink and prepare for the good and bad news.

Always ready for Southern Comfort and a sit down to read the news..good or bad. Then it means I can plan my next steps and approach with Audi and wwhat I do to Poldark..yes the A4 has a name :haha:

I think Robs reply was soo long he must've fallen asleep writing it!
Firstly yes you should have an undertray there, i read somewhere that replacements are expensive so upto you if you wish to go down that route.
If i remember correctly my coil packs have the rings on them (il check tomorrow) so i can only assume yours are not genuine.
And yes i think most tfsi owners have to top up the oil from time to time. Some are worse than others. I top mine up about 0.5l every 2k miles. And would'nt count that as an issue just a quirk of the engine.

Reactions: Charlie Farley, CountryGent and DieselJake
To add to that there is also a centre undertray too and they sort of hold each other up, so i can only assume you dont have that either.
Personally i'd try find a local scrappy and hope they dont realize what they are worth!

I think Robs reply was soo long he must've fallen asleep writing it!
Firstly yes you should have an undertray there, i read somewhere that replacements are expensive so upto you if you wish to go down that route.
If i remember correctly my coil packs have the rings on them (il check tomorrow) so i can only assume yours are not genuine.
And yes i think most tfsi owners have to top up the oil from time to time. Some are worse than others. I top mine up about 0.5l every 2k miles. And would'nt count that as an issue just a quirk of the engine.

Yes, Rob's reply must have been an epic of biblical proportions!

That would be great maxdrz400 if you could check. I saw some red 'upgraded' ones on a site in the States but don't know if theyre genuine or if they are, if theyre available in the UK.

I would be only too happy to have my oil consumption at .5l per 2k. Mine is around .5l per 600-700 miles. Owning Landie 110's, I am happy to except quirks in some thing that I know and ca trust, the Audi has yet to prove itself!

Reactions: Charlie Farley
To add to that there is also a centre undertray too and they sort of hold each other up, so i can only assume you dont have that either.
Personally i'd try find a local scrappy and hope they dont realize what they are worth!

Right then, better find a scrappy who doesn't know what he got

right then , back again and awake....lol , I started to reply but was watching some classic " last of the summer wine " then must have nodded off...must be getting old..haha
so the cut down and much edited for time sake reply.....
Anway, the coil packs were a warranty recall item , if you contact audi with your chassis number they will have a record if they were replaced by them free of charge, if not and they are original ones still you can get them changed still.
In your special ed you have the earlier BUL engine , from my investigation some time ago the early engines with the silver colour cam cover did have a few issues that were resolved in the later engine with a black cover...and no it's not just a colour change thing the latter has revised parts.

oil consumption is a very common complaint and there are endless amounts of info on it, some owners have oil drinkers and others don't....there is no special reason for the variations in consumption between owners , its just the nature and design of the engine.

The normal factory stated range for consumption is upto 0.5 ltr per 1000km if you drive like a demon, otherwise then you'll be in the range over that , of course if you have a worn engine it will be high aswell.
Audi have oil consumption tests that don't really work to be honest, my old bus was drinking oil when I got it with 29k on the clock , had a right old ding dong with audi as it was under there approved used warranty , in the end they fitted a new short motor, and turbo and a whole raft of other bits....and it still drinks oil, not as much as before but its within operating parameters now.
there are a few steps you can take to help reduce it aswell,. all well documented steps .....I changed to a diffent oil type and grade and its been a massive improvement.
Check your PCV as it doesn't help if its faulty, there is a revised part if yours is the original unit.
hope that helps a bit more.

Ok so sorry for the late update, my coil packs don't have the rings on them. But my car has had the updated ones fittedon the recall, so i csn only assume they are genuine.
Anyway welcome to club silver top! Other than standard proventative maintanance, shes been fine for the past 3years and 30k miles (currently sat on 97k)

Attachments

• 20170908_161056.jpg
    20170908_161056.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 121
Well at least you still have the audi rings on the top cover, I've lost two sets somewhere.....probably when it's been at audi...haha