Standard Exhaust vs 3"

hendo#1

Reaction score
My 2003 BAM S3 has got a full 3" stainless system on it, from the turbo back with a de-cat. Pipewerx did the whole thing for me.

It made a healthy 348BHP on badger5 rollers with his hybrid set-up.

Having just returned from a Euro jaunt, incl a lap of the 'Ring, the car is too loud for my liking.

80MPH onwards its pretty much silent but everything below this speed causes the whole car to drone and resonate. Its not horrifically bad, to many it would probably be acceptable, but I cant be dealing with it.

Does anyone know just how restrictive the standard DP etc is? My thinking is putting the whole standard exhaust system back on, only adding a de-cat.

Would be interesting to hear opinions. I'm quite happy to lose a little bit of power to make the car enjoyable to be in again.

If you don't mind me asking how much does pipewerx charge for a full system

Std downpipe and exhaust system is restrictive on stage 1/2 power levels... fitting it to your hybrid will generate higher EGTS and kill the power/reliabilty

Fit a Miltek or add more boxes... my 3" system is pretty quiet with 3 boxes

<tuffty/>

the 3inch downpipe made no sound difference to mine - but I still have the standard centre and rear box. there is a thread on here discussing the standard back box being restricted to 300bhp.

My 2003 BAM S3 has got a full 3" stainless system on it, from the turbo back with a de-cat. Pipewerx did the whole thing for me.

It made a healthy 348BHP on badger5 rollers with his hybrid set-up.

Having just returned from a Euro jaunt, incl a lap of the 'Ring, the car is too loud for my liking.

80MPH onwards its pretty much silent but everything below this speed causes the whole car to drone and resonate. Its not horrifically bad, to many it would probably be acceptable, but I cant be dealing with it.

Does anyone know just how restrictive the standard DP etc is? My thinking is putting the whole standard exhaust system back on, only adding a de-cat.

Would be interesting to hear opinions. I'm quite happy to lose a little bit of power to make the car enjoyable to be in again.
thats a bad idea
especially seeing its hybrid. you will kill things

single tail pipe rear box or twin? if twin splice a boost actuated flap valve so it kills the drone down

If you don't mind me asking how much does pipewerx charge for a full system

The down pipe and de-cat were £350?? from memory. I fitted these myself.

The rest of the exhaust system was fitted by them in a day, was around £500 iirc.

It is beautifully made.

Last edited:
Reactions: hydro s3
Std downpipe and exhaust system is restrictive on stage 1/2 power levels... fitting it to your hybrid will generate higher EGTS and kill the power/reliabilty

Fit a Miltek or add more boxes... my 3" system is pretty quiet with 3 boxes

<tuffty/>

Where did you fit the 3rd box tuffty?

Car currently has a centre silencer and large one at the rear. When he built it I told him I didnt want it to be loud.

To be fair, I think its more the resonance of it thats causing the noise.

From my limited reading up on it, the exhaust is acting like a big trombone. There is probably a very good reason why the standard exhaust goes from 2 into 1 after the cats.

A straight through 3 inch resonator will kill the drone or have a look at a side branch resonator. As Bill says closing one side of a twin tailpipe box does the same thing as a side branch resonator.

Where did you fit the 3rd box tuffty?

Car currently has a centre silencer and large one at the rear. When he built it I told him I didnt want it to be loud.
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-minor-modding-thread.76389/page-65#post-2112570

There is probably a very good reason why the standard exhaust goes from 2 into 1 after the cats

So they could get it past the propshaft doughnut and run twin cats to improve CAT efficiency on the higher power setup without having to use a really large single CAT..

<tuffty/>

Impressive Tuffty!