Subframe creaking or something else

Moxy89

Reaction score
recently had arbs and anti lift kit fitted, was fine for a while then got a horrid creaking from the front, slow cornering ( full lock ) braking ( coming to a holt) and pulling away. Does this sound like subframe issue ? Just also having a slight squeak from front brake so unsure if it could be a sticking brake but mechanic is sure it's not that!

If any stretch bolts were removed, were they replaced?

If any stretch bolts were removed, were they replaced?

No mate, the subframe was removed and the standard bolts were refitted, didn't replace

One use only i'd replace them and to the correct torque see if it stops.

U need to lube the arb bushes mine done the same thing

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Moxy89
U need to lube the arb bushes mine done the same thing

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Done that and it went but now it's back, we fully removed the arb and the creak breaking and pulling away continued, it's either the anti lift kit of subframe

Subframe bolts are 1 use only as the are stretch bolts. What torque did you tighten them to?

Not got the manual infront of me, but I know on the B7 A4 it is 110nm + 90*, and that last 90* is crucial!! Manual says you must not drive without being fully torqued down with the final angle.

Will check what it says about the A3 when I get home, but probably going to be pretty similar.

This final angle causes the bolts to physically stretch (by fractions of a mm), but this then means the bolts cannot be re-used as there is risk of snapping when re-torquing down on the last 90* rotation.

No idea what there torqued to garage fitted them. I'm ordering the updated ones from aks

Had same noise etc I tightened the subframe bolts and noise went away.

Anyone a link or part no for the 4 bolts?

Reactions: ruairi83
No idea what there torqued to garage fitted them.

In other words they were just slapped on with an impact gun to "that'll do" spec without a 2nd thought about proper torque specs.

Reactions: Moxy89
With the dead set kit, do I need new bolts also ?

It looks like the kit comes with 2 bolts anyway, so I assume the other 2 bolts to be used are OEM ones. As such it looks like you'll need to buy 2 new OEM bolts and use the 2 that come with the kit also.

Torque it all up properly with a torque wrench and then whatever additional angle turn is specified in the manual.

Option 1 it is mate.

Thanks for that. Will get them today
Let us know how you get on with that - I'm starting to get noises too, so would be good to know if the washers and non-stretch bolts resolve the problem.

Reactions: ruairi83
Let us know how you get on with that - I'm starting to get noises too, so would be good to know if the washers and non-stretch bolts resolve the problem.
I'd say they will bud as since I've tightened the orig bolts over month ago I've had no issues. Will mesage once done - thanks again

The ECS tuning kit is brilliant, had them fitted to my mk5 gti.
Stopped the creaking and for £16 it can't be argued with.

I'd recommend them to anyone.

Reactions: S.
With the dead set kit, do I need new bolts also ?

Deadset kit comes with its own bolts and I believe they are high strength items made by ARP (same people who make the uprated head bolts and stuff in performance applications).