Rejection?

AudiNutta

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Who on here has had experience with rejection? Wondering how quick I can get this process over and done with. The S3 has just had Roadside Assistance out for the 4th time in its 11 month life, who have said it needs to be recovered and which will happen tomorrow. The RS3 is being built on 16th October, the S3 was being sold that week privately. I need this rejection to happen in the next 4 weeks, so will be on the ball speaking to the finance company and Audi UK on Monday morning. Those who have had rejection, do you think it's possible? Otherwise my RS3 is going to be sat waiting.

First issue at 4000 miles; clunking on steering which led to a replacement steering rack.

Second issue at 6000 miles; clicking on steering which led to a replacement wheel bearing housing on the N/S/F.

Now onto the current... 2 days ago I called Audi Assist out with a loud banging on deceleration, it was found that one wheel bolt was missing and two were very loose. 1 day later, I have Steering issues again.

So the car is clicking and clunking (a bit of both this time) at all points through the rack, from left to right. The patrol seems to think it is the steering rack again because both sides are equal. It is worse than the second time, because it does it stationary whereas last time it was at low speed manouvering. Below are some videos of the noise, the second shows the N/S/F, first on the ground then I jack it up in the video at which point the noise goes. As soon as the tyre makes contact with the tarmac, the clicking starts instantaneously.

Now the challenge to get a like for like car again, starts tomorrow!

Thanks all,

Matt.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and S1Pete
Hi Everyone,

Who on here has had experience with rejection? Wondering how quick I can get this process over and done with. The S3 has just had Roadside Assistance out for the 4th time in its 11 month life, who have said it needs to be recovered and which will happen tomorrow. The RS3 is being built on 16th October, the S3 was being sold that week privately. I need this rejection to happen in the next 4 weeks, so will be on the ball speaking to the finance company and Audi UK on Monday morning. Those who have had rejection, do you think it's possible? Otherwise my RS3 is going to be sat waiting.

First issue at 4000 miles; clunking on steering which led to a replacement steering rack.

Second issue at 6000 miles; clicking on steering which led to a replacement wheel bearing housing on the N/S/F.

Now onto the current... 2 days ago I called Audi Assist out with a loud banging on deceleration, it was found that one wheel bolt was missing and two were very loose. 1 day later, I have Steering issues again.

So the car is clicking and clunking (a bit of both this time) at all points through the rack, from left to right. The patrol seems to think it is the steering rack again because both sides are equal. It is worse than the second time, because it does it stationary whereas last time it was at low speed manouvering. Below are some videos of the noise, the second shows the N/S/F, first on the ground then I jack it up in the video at which point the noise goes. As soon as the tyre makes contact with the tarmac, the clicking starts instantaneously.

Now the challenge to get a like for like car again, starts tomorrow!

Thanks all,

Matt.

Sorry to hear about this mate! You and @Mark_86 have had an absolute nightmare with your S3's :( Hopefully it gets sorted and you're not left completely done over by Audi!

Reactions: 4K, Audi Bairn and Mark_86
If it can be repaired no you'll not be allowed to reject it kid, best wait and see what the forth coming week brings, l think the rejection process can take months so in the case of your other car coming to the UK in early November, best get the S3 repaired and sell on

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Daveotto
If it can be repaired no you'll not be allowed to reject it kid

That is most certainly NOT true. Yes, you have to afford them an attempt at repair, but they've already had two goes. My B8 A4 could have been easily repaired, but I still successfully rejected it.

Reactions: 4K, KenL, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Sorry to hear about this mate! You and @Mark_86 have had an absolute nightmare with your S3's :( Hopefully it gets sorted and you're not left completely done over by Audi!

Yep it has been a nightmare! I'm hoping for a good result this time, I am heartbroken by it all... as far as I'm concerned, my last drive was home from ADI today :'(

Reactions: 4K and The Kendragon
If it can be repaired no you'll not be allowed to reject it kid, best wait and see what the forth coming week brings, l think the rejection process can take months so in the case of your other car coming to the UK in early November, best get the S3 repaired and sell on

The finance company wanted to reject it last time, but Audi said no because I had to give them chance to repair it. If they repair it and it still happens again, I'm in the window of rejection.

I heard it can take months, but I will have Black Horse on the case. I will end up having Worcester Audi on the case too I would have thought, because they won't be getting paid for the RS3 until this is resolved. I'm hoping the new car order will swing it and assist in it going through quickly. If they take the S3 back and settle it, I will be happy even if I don't get a contribution to the RS. But, I have a £1045 tracker on the S3 and I will not just hand that over to Audi, so they can either remove it or fit a new one because as far as I'm concerned I have paid for that and I'm not just handing it back with the broken car.

There has to be an underlying issue with this car, 3rd failure in 6 months is not right!

That is most certainly NOT true. Yes, you have to afford them an attempt at repair, but they've already had two goes. My B8 A4 could have been easily repaired, but I still successfully rejected it.

That is what they said last time, they told me the bearing issue wasn't definitely connected to the steering rack so I had to give them chance to fix the bearing issue. Now either or have come back, so it's gone a third time and I think I have good grounds for rejection.

I was going to be selling the car privately, but I will not sell it privately knowing the car is failing on a quarterly basis because I don't want it coming back on me.

Although this amount of problems is well below expectation for any car I would not expect 4 call outs in 11 months would be enough for rejection. 4 in 11 weeks is a different matter

That said, if you have had one finance supported rejection pushed back by Audi and the fault has been repeated you might well have a case, but I expect 4 weeks to resolution might be a big ask.

I hope you have your previous rejection attempt well documented, copies of emails etc. Actually I would get the finance company to act on your behalf as they will have far more bargaining power

Reactions: Jassyo06
Although this amount of problems is well below expectation for any car I would not expect 4 call outs in 11 months would be enough for rejection. 4 in 11 weeks is a different matter

That said, if you have had one finance supported rejection pushed back by Audi and the fault has been repeated you might well have a case, but I expect 4 weeks to resolution might be a big ask.

I hope you have your previous rejection attempt well documented, copies of emails etc. Actually I would get the finance company to act on your behalf as they will have far more bargaining power

Yes but the last two issues saw the car gone for 3 weeks at a time!

Steering rack failure is a serious enough issue on its own. Rejection works on whether Audi can rectify a fault and it work.

Fingers crossed for you matie! Let us know how you get on :frowning:

Thank you, will keep this updated as time goes on.

But I will be dropping the car off tomorrow and trying to forget about it being there, after it's been diagnosed I won't chase the repair.

Hopefully I will get a like-for-like S3 without hassle like the second time.

Reactions: The Kendragon
My BMW was rejected for a steering rack failure. It's classed as a major component failure and so rejection should not be a problem. It's much easier in the first 30 days of ownership however they have failed to rectify the fault and the fact it's on finance really helps.

CLA 45 AMG Shooting brake

My BMW was rejected for a steering rack failure. It's classed as a major component failure and so rejection should not be a problem. It's much easier in the first 30 days of ownership however they have failed to rectify the fault and the fact it's on finance really helps.

CLA 45 AMG Shooting brake

That's good to hear. Yes the steering rack failed the first time, but we don't know what it is this time. The patrol said steering rack, but it does sound more like the hearing issue I had last going off.

If it's the steering rack again, rejection should be easy!

Steering rack failure is a serious enough issue on its own. Rejection works on whether Audi can rectify a fault and it work.

Thats what I said mate, if its confirmed as same problem you will be ok on the rejection but timing might be a bit problematic but i am sure your dealer will hold the new car for a couple of weeks if needed

Thats what I said mate, if its confirmed as same problem you will be ok on the rejection but timing might be a bit problematic but i am sure your dealer will hold the new car for a couple of weeks if needed

It's going to be one or the other definitely I would say, hopefully I can report back early in the week.

I don't want the new car held, I want it now ;)

You will not get a rejection in 4 weeks. Audi finance are allowed 8 weeks by the FCA to perform any investigation.

I went through the rejection process last year with them, it took a total of 12 weeks and had to get the financial ombudsman involved. I also had some what of a clear cut case as well, there was a fault on my car that Audi could not fix, Audi Germany was aware of the issue but had no fix, and yet Audi finance still dragged their feat with the case, the car also had engine, MMI and paintwork issues. Also I'd only had my car for 4 weeks and for 2 of them weeks it was at the dealership being fixed.

Audi finance from what I can see just act in a serial process, you sent the rejection letter to the dealer, then the dealer send's it to the finance company, then you wait around 5 days to get a case handler, then they contact the dealer to get the reports on the car, then they contact Audi Germany for resolutions on the issue's.... thing is it can go on like that for weeks.

Hope you can get it sorted quicker, but I would not count on it.

Reactions: 4K
Here is what you stated
"Now onto the current... 2 days ago I called Audi Assist out with a loud banging on deceleration, it was found that one wheel bolt was missing and two were very loose. 1 day later, I have Steering issues again."
Why is a bolt missing and two very loose....when was that wheel last removed and by whom? That is who you have an issue with. I think you will have a hard time on rejection based on this present issue.

Reactions: richinsoton and Jassyo06
Here is what you stated
"Now onto the current... 2 days ago I called Audi Assist out with a loud banging on deceleration, it was found that one wheel bolt was missing and two were very loose. 1 day later, I have Steering issues again."
Why is a bolt missing and two very loose....when was that wheel last removed and by whom? That is who you have an issue with. I think you will have a hard time on rejection based on this present issue.

Audi removed the wheels 3000 miles ago and fitted new tyres.

If it's a steering rack failure, for the second time.. I really shouldn't have much trouble.

You will not get a rejection in 4 weeks. Audi finance are allowed 8 weeks by the FCA to perform any investigation.

I went through the rejection process last year with them, it took a total of 12 weeks and had to get the financial ombudsman involved. I also had some what of a clear cut case as well, there was a fault on my car that Audi could not fix, Audi Germany was aware of the issue but had no fix, and yet Audi finance still dragged their feat with the case, the car also had engine, MMI and paintwork issues. Also I'd only had my car for 4 weeks and for 2 of them weeks it was at the dealership being fixed.

Audi finance from what I can see just act in a serial process, you sent the rejection letter to the dealer, then the dealer send's it to the finance company, then you wait around 5 days to get a case handler, then they contact the dealer to get the reports on the car, then they contact Audi Germany for resolutions on the issue's.... thing is it can go on like that for weeks.

Hope you can get it sorted quicker, but I would not count on it.

Thanks for your advice! Well I expect the RS3 to be here in 7-8 weeks, there will be a few parties pushing this from different angles. The longer they drag it out, the longer the RS doesn't get paid for and the longer I am costing Audi UK a fortune driving around in one of their cars (hopefully an S3 again).

Won't the arrival of the RS make rejection harder too? May look like you're only trying to reject the car now as you want rid anyway, especially after a year.

Reactions: Daveotto and Jassyo06
Won't the arrival of the RS make rejection harder too? May look like you're only trying to reject the car now as you want rid anyway, especially after a year.

That's what I thought but this is nothing I can cause, I'm gutted it's ending like this! I don't even know what it is for me to have caused it.

The car is at Audi now :(

Rejection would save you a few thousand on negative equity, your want it now RS3 attitude was always going to be fraught with danger kid a huge gamble and still is, if l where you l wouldn't be able to sleep at night right now, l don't know how much this RS3 is costing you a month did you get a discount l could easily have got £3000 off one last week, what l really mean is, it's OK getting the car that will be such a buzz for you but give it a few years of ownership you may grudge paying the high monthly payments because you will get fed up with it in some form, l hope it works out for you kid l do

Reactions: 4K and TDI-line
Rejection would save you a few thousand on negative equity, your want it now RS3 attitude was always going to be fraught with danger kid a huge gamble and still is, if l where you l wouldn't be able to sleep at night right now, l don't know how much this RS3 is costing you a month did you get a discount l could easily have got £3000 off one last week, what l really mean is, it's OK getting the car that will be such a buzz for you but give it a few years of ownership you may grudge paying the high monthly payments because you will get fed up with it in some form, l hope it works out for you kid l do

Supplying dealer isn't sure what the process is when I already have a car on order, it may go in my favour apparently.

I thought long and hard about the RS3, after owning the S3. I'm not fed up of it, I'm gutted it's going I am just hoping it's onto bigger and better things. I can't see me getting fed up of the RS3 if it's anything like this car, I get too attached. I didn't get any discount no, ordered in July didn't I. If I get to the end of the term and I'm fed up, I will likely downgrade to something more affordable like an S3 if I changed. But otherwise the plan is to pay it off and keep it long term until I'm settled in the house. I live very cheaply month to month and I have enough going into savings after the RS for a 2 week holiday in the sun a month, so I'm happy with that. But I will over time put lumps into the agreement to drop the payments, which I believe you can with Audi Finance.

I rejected my first car after about 4 months of ownership. It was a repeated problem with the brakes and Audi could not diagnose it with any certainty. Even though in the end they said they believed they had found a fix, I said not a chance because they had had about 3-4 attempts to fix it prior. So if they already tried to fix it and failed, and now it has reappeared, id say you'd be in good shape. The process for me did not take very long because audi accepted the rejection very quickly and were very commendable in the way they dealt with my complaint. I'd say from filing the first letter to the head of business saying I wanted to reject the car, it probably took in the region of 2- 3 weeks to come to a resolution.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Have a read of this mate http://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/ looks like it's up to 6 months.

I remember this from when I asked last time. It is 6 months, they can reject a car after that but you will pay an excess usage / mileage fee for the mileage covered since then or something along those lines. I'm not sure exactly how they calculate it, but there is an excess fee and at most it's a few hundred.

Thanks for the link, very useful!

Last edited:
Reactions: S32B
I rejected my first car after about 4 months of ownership. It was a repeated problem with the brakes and Audi could not diagnose it with any certainty. Even though in the end they said they believed they had found a fix, I said not a chance because they had had about 3-4 attempts to fix it prior. So if they already tried to fix it and failed, and now it has reappeared, id say you'd be in good shape. The process for me did not take very long because audi accepted the rejection very quickly and were very commendable in the way they dealt with my complaint. I'd say from filing the first letter to the head of business saying I wanted to reject the car, it probably took in the region of 2- 3 weeks to come to a resolution.

Thanks for your input, who ultimately agreed to reject the car? Last time the finance company and dealer were passing the book for weeks.

It's been repaired twice for a steering related fault, this is the third time it's had a steering related fault and is almost definitely one or the other of the original faults.

Driver's responsibility to make sure wheels are safely secured to the vehicle, so they'll give you a hard time about why there is wheel nuts missing after 3k miles from they had it.

Driver's responsibility to make sure wheels are safely secured to the vehicle, so they'll give you a hard time about why there is wheel nuts missing after 3k miles from they had it.

Yeah I'm not trying to put responsibility of that onto them, I won't even suggest that it is Audi's fault. But the fact is, that is when they were off if they ask the question.

Wheel bolts isn't something you check, or not myself anyway and we have never had any issues. You don't expect to lose a wheel bolt to check it. We called Roadside Assistance out because it seemed like a driveshaft, it was only banging when the gearbox disengaged at around 10mph. The AA tech said he'd have put money on it being a driveshaft, one of those freak things.

Yeah I'm not trying to put responsibility of that onto them, I won't even suggest that it is Audi's fault. But the fact is, that is when they were off if they ask the question.

Wheel bolts isn't something you check, or not myself anyway and we have never had any issues. You don't expect to lose a wheel bolt to check it. We called Roadside Assistance out because it seemed like a driveshaft, it was only banging when the gearbox disengaged at around 10mph. The AA tech said he'd have put money on it being a driveshaft, one of those freak things.

Would love to see the traffic commissioners face if I had told him that I didn't expect a wheel nut to come off my lorry after it rolled down the road. Book would have been thrown at me! Agree, isn't something you'd expect but it's as fundamental as making sure there's oil in your engine. I check mine on my car, always have done.

Reactions: Djs3saloon, Phutters and richinsoton
Would love to see the traffic commissioners face if I had told him that I didn't expect a wheel nut to come off my lorry after it rolled down the road. Book would have been thrown at me! Agree, isn't something you'd expect but it's as fundamental as making sure there's oil in your engine. I check mine on my car, always have done.

It's definitely something I will check now, walk around with the torque wrench once a month to make sure.. perhaps more frequent if I get time. One thing I'm guilty of is forgetting to check the oil level, the car warns you these days but I do check every few months.. when I think of it :flushed: My S3 never burnt a drop in 10k!!

I'm not sure you can reject it after 6 months can you? I thought it had to be done in the first 6 months of owning the vehicle?

I'm not sure you can reject it after 6 months can you? I thought it had to be done in the first 6 months of owning the vehicle?

Was past 6 months last time, but my supplying dealer said they can accept rejections with a fee for excess usage.

To be honest, I pay a ****** fortune on this car a month and it is literally being recovered on a quarterly basis. Forget any timescales, something is majorly wrong somewhere in the geometry of this car and I can't be frowned upon by the window of the major faults occurring. I've lost the car for a total of 6 weeks on the previous two occasions, this is the third.

IMO, a 6 month window goes totally out of the question when for the third time I've been told I'm not allowed to drive my car because it's too dangerous to!!

Reactions: TDI-line and 4K
I was going to say. If it keeps throwing steering racks, then I'd be questioning if the chassis was square.

That's what the AA agreed with me on, it seems to be there is a underlying issue and it's suspension geometry that's causing unnecessary stress on components.

150hp maximum, back to this old nonsense!!!

Bad start to a rubbish day
I know it's a pain but I wouldn't worry too much about the replacement for now. Focus on getting Audi assistance and the supplier of your S3 on board re rejection or the repair if that's what's needed otherwise you could end up stuck with the S3 whilst the RS is ready to go.

You'll struggle to reject it based on the circumstances. Unless you can prove theirs something wrong with the chasis. I think the best thing you can do mate is let them fix it and then sell it when the day comes. Sounds like you've just been very unlucky, it happens unfortunately. It will be fixed more than likely before you need to sell it. If not that's grounds for a rejection. But let them know your intent now before it's too late, both your local dealer and Audi customer services.

What NM do you crank them to mate ?

I know it's a pain but I wouldn't worry too much about the replacement for now. Focus on getting Audi assistance and the supplier of your S3 on board re rejection or the repair if that's what's needed otherwise you could end up stuck with the S3 whilst the RS is ready to go.

I've been to the supplier, head of business is totally on board and is annoyed I haven't been given an S3 after we have been through this twice before.

He is going to investigate the cause for rejection once the fault has been diagnosed.

Until then, just trying to source any car until they can find me an S3 to swap into if they do.