Urgent: rear disc removal without carrier removal?

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Guys,

Is it possible to remove the rear disc on an FWD 1.9tdi without remove the caliper carrier?

I ask as I need to change the disc but the bolts were rounded by the previous owner. He did mention this to me when I purchased the car.

Ideally I'd like to change the disc today but there are no scrap yards open within a reasonable driving distance. Otherwise it will be next week and I'll order some new bolts.

Cheers.

It's possible to remove the old discs with the carrier in situ, only if the discs are worn really thin. But, you will not get the new ones on, they'll be too thick.

If the carrier bolts are worn (internal 8/10mm hex?) I would bash on an appropriate 12-point socket, and remove them that way.

Depends on the size. My 255mm diam. rears with the wide jawed TRW/Lucas calliper are removable/replaceable easily without removing the carriers.

245mm 12 thick non vented discs will go in and out with the carrier in place. The rear discs to be clear.

Well I tried. I could've most likely got the old disc out with a fight but then wouldn't of got the new disc in as this one currently on is really thin.

I'll have to do it next weekend once I've got some new bolts.

I have bolt removers to remove the 8mm hex bolts but then it's tightening it all up.....so will wait.

But cheers anyway guys. Appreciate your advice.

Dan