Brake Discs and Hubs - Corrosion/Rust

RL

Reaction score
Hi all,

Mentioned this in a recent post having just got my A3 about 5 weeks ago. Annoyed at the corrosion/rust on the brake discs. Didn’t really notice the extend until gave it a good clean the other week. Rear appear worse than the front.

Also wondering if brake performance is effected...? Occasionally wonder when braking if I can hear a slight rub but might be in my mind!

Rear
8b904367e5b19a9fa27e15fc62b74db1.jpg

4188a47740f5cee51f9f5c11ec252885.jpg

4381079c989ea7270488bc5da16ed9e5.jpg

Front
3cba55955ffae11ef5c45d30bd83f3b2.jpg

ab55f642bdacef526fe3cd62c2c51442.jpg

ff7f18360cce2bdbeb88b8ae73767923.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine have this & never had any braking issues at all.

Reactions: RL
How old is the car? Hubs go rusty really quick but its just cosmetic. So does the whole underneath of the car you just never see it.

Unusual to see rust like that on the disks until the discs are 2 years old (if its low mileage)

If you’ve just bought the vehicle i would ask them to do a brake efficiency test and compare to an MOT standard. If they pass reasonably then you move on as they shouldnt get any worst with regular use and is cosmetic. If they fail then you get them changed :)

It’s a 14 plate 46k miles ish. As I got it from main dealer I have assumed (well not assumed) as it’s on the handover check list and checklist for service that the brakes have been checked. Just not seen it like that, had an 07 plate before but used it a lot so guess it didn’t build up.

It’s a 14 plate 46k miles ish. As I got it from main dealer I have assumed (well not assumed) as it’s on the handover check list and checklist for service that the brakes have been checked. Just not seen it like that, had an 07 plate before but used it a lot so guess it didn’t build up.

Yeah if it’s been sat on the pitch for any period of time the discs can go like that. You might find that previous brake discs didnt do that. But volkswagen group change the metals and properties every time they release a new vehicle as they are constantly trying to find the perfect marker between performance, economy and comfort in all aspects including brakes.

This means you might find that newer brakes may corrode quicker than older ones, but will brake more efficiently and be quieter than older ones and vice versa.

Your brakes ‘should’ be fine. Especially if you haven’t had any issues. Its a mechanical component so if you were going to have any issues with them you would always experience the issue.

If you want complete peace of mind theirs no harm in contacting the dealer in the nicest way possible and explaining you’re slightly concerned and ask for them to just do a brake efficiency test. And if they pass MOT standards you will get out of their hair :)

The Hub rust is nothing to worry about - as said above that tends to start after around 2-years. I would say that the rust on the face of the rear discs is not ideal (probably an MOT advisory)- they are quite rusted and so the pads will not be making full, clean contact - and Textar pads fitted (whilst a decent brand) - not sure if they're OE - which suggests somebody has replaced pads and not bothered with the discs. The fronts look OK to me

Cheers guys. Will take the advice and probably ask for a check to be sure. If there is an issue or advisory then I would expect them to sort with only having it for 5 weeks or so. But one would hope they will have carried out an efficiency test as part of pre handover.

Cheers guys. Will take the advice and probably ask for a check to be sure. If there is an issue or advisory then I would expect them to sort with only having it for 5 weeks or so. But one would hope they will have carried out an efficiency test as part of pre handover.

Its not part of a pre handover test. They only visually check and give a professional ‘opinion’ it’s all they’re obliged to do. Depending on the dealer and your loyalty to them they may not do anything if its only an advisory.

Also to the above posts, discs should be replaced every second pad change (in an ideal world) but the properties vary and can sometimes last 3 or 4 and sometimes need doing on the first pad change. But you dont need to change discs with pads unless the discs worn, scored, warped or corroded

I don't wish to sound cynical but those "100 point" checks are nonsense - cars are more likely to get a quick glance over and a power wash by an apprentice. :welcoming:

I don't wish to sound cynical but those "100 point" checks are nonsense - cars are more likely to get a quick glance over and a power wash by an apprentice. :welcoming:

Im saying nothing.