Facelift Sports exhaust in dynamic fault?

RVP20

Reaction score
Hi, well I finally got to test drive one as mine is nearly here and what can I say......wow!! I drove a saloon and it was amazing to say the least.

The car in comfort drives like an every day can as it has the magnetic ride and tbh I could have been driving an A3/S3 as it felt very civilised.
Here comes the fun part though.......flick it to dynamic and listen to that engine rev and that exhaust (with the sports exhaust in black) looks and sounds the part.

One little niggle I did notice was that when the car was in dynamic mode and I was parking it (going backwards and forwards slowly to reverse park) I could hear a loud ticking noise every time I touched the accelerator. When I put it back to comfort mode this stopped?!
I asked the sales man and he didn't really have a clue.

Any ideas or has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! That noise is the valves opening and closing, open at idle and then close for a short period of time (maybe 1000rpm) before they open back up.

We don’t realise how much work these valves do....

That was the FL pops and bangs.... Runs for cover
Hi, well I finally got to test drive one as mine is nearly here and what can I say......wow!! I drove a saloon and it was amazing to say the least.

The car in comfort drives like an every day can as it has the magnetic ride and tbh I could have been driving an A3/S3 as it felt very civilised.
Here comes the fun part though.......flick it to dynamic and listen to that engine rev and that exhaust (with the sports exhaust in black) looks and sounds the part.

One little niggle I did notice was that when the car was in dynamic mode and I was parking it (going backwards and forwards slowly to reverse park) I could hear a loud ticking noise every time I touched the accelerator. When I put it back to comfort mode this stopped?!

Reactions: Frozenr6 and Terminator x
Glad to hear you enjoyed it! That noise is the valves opening and closing, open at idle and then close for a short period of time (maybe 1000rpm) before they open back up.

We don’t realise how much work these valves do....

Wow really? Every time I touched the accelerator a tiny bit to move forward or backwards the clicking noise started. It sounded faulty to me?!

That was the FL pops and bangs.... Runs for cover

I don’t think I’m going to be disappointed with mine tbh! Don’t get me wrong I love the pops, my S3 sounded amazing... but it’s a great car all around.

Reactions: Radman
Wow really? Every time I touched the accelerator a tiny bit to move forward or backwards the clicking noise started. It sounded faulty to me?!

Yeah that’s right, when parking it you will notice.. but only when the car thinks you are pulling off.

My valve controller is going on the car before I’ve even driven it.

I've not heard this clicking.

Yeah that’s right, when parking it you will notice.. but only when the car thinks you are pulling off.

What's a valve controller?

It’s the sound of exhaust flaps moving
As they are swivelled they make a noise not too dissimilar to what you could call a beep.

I used to notice mine when it was really hot and in the garage. Sounded quite loud.

Reactions: AudiNutta

Do they have one available for the FL yet? Would love one of these!

No reason why it won’t work on the FL, exactly the same setup.

I can confirm in about a month though ;)

Think i may have to order one then! or just disconnect them...... sounds great when they are open, but they are not open enough IMO!

Think i may have to order one then! or just disconnect them...... sounds great when they are open, but they are not open enough IMO!

I would recommend that you need the remote. In the S3 it’s fine to remove because it doesn’t make a huge difference when driving. But, in the RS3 it is very boomy at motorway speeds and I will definitely want to close mine when cruising.

Reactions: Radman
I would recommend that you need the remote. In the S3 it’s fine to remove because it doesn’t make a huge difference when driving. But, in the RS3 it is very boomy at motorway speeds and I will definitely want to close mine when cruising.
Put it in comfort. Job done. Or reconfigure Individual setting to suit motorway driving

Loud flaps?
Reminds me of this bird I met in Blackpool on a Stag Night.... but that's a story for another day.

Reactions: Frozenr6, zaka7 and Terminator x
Put it in comfort. Job done. Or reconfigure Individual setting to suit motorway driving

Yeah we are talking about if you have a manual override. I’ve driven an RS3 with them unplugged and always open, it’s too loud at 70.. almost makes a buzzing noise.
When it’s in dynamic it’s not an issue, when you are cruising at motorway speeds they are closed anyway.

Surely though if the car is in dynamic with the flaps fully open they won't keep 'clicking' at low speeds every time you slowly move forward and stop etc?!

Surely though if the car is in dynamic with the flaps fully open they won't keep 'clicking' at low speeds every time you slowly move forward and stop etc?!

Nope, even in full dynamic the valves are still operate to the closed position.

Always open in first AN in dynamic, how many times ;) perhaps the "click" is moving between first and reverse?

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Was it from the engine (front) or the back the sound came from?

My car have an awful and loud ticking sound on cold start from the engine. Sounds like an exhaust gasket has gone. Quiets down after a while but I can always hear this small ticking sound from the front when I'm driving. This was something that my last rs3 never had.
If it's the fsi injectors making the sound then the sound insulation from the engine compartment must be better on the 8p.

But I really hate this loud ticking sound on cold starts :(

Anyone with the new one know what i mean?
Did the PFL sound like this as well?

Was it from the engine (front) or the back the sound came from?

My car have an awful and loud ticking sound on cold start from the engine. Sounds like an exhaust gasket has gone. Quiets down after a while but I can always hear this small ticking sound from the front when I'm driving. This was something that my last rs3 never had.
If it's the fsi injectors making the sound then the sound insulation from the engine compartment must be better on the 8p.

But I really hate this loud ticking sound on cold starts :(

Anyone with the new one know what i mean?
Did the PFL sound like this as well?

No the clicking noise was when selecting drive and touching the accelerator gently each time or the same when in reverse. It didn't do it in comfort mode though?

Same happens to me in dynamic or in Exhaust in dynamic (I have to test it in auto), when parking or starting in trafic light:

1) starting: valve close, vale opens
2) from D to R: valve open, valve close, vale open, valve close
2) going to N: valve open, valve close.

Now I have to park in confort, because valve are open and closing something like 20 times each time I park.

Valve also open and close when you touch the accelerator pedal in iddle/D/R...

I think is a normal behaviour, I will have to install an Exhaust valve module....

It was the same with my Focus RS which uses the same valves as the Audi's. I just used a valve defeat plug and was done with the valves.

Same happens to me in dynamic or in Exhaust in dynamic (I have to test it in auto), when parking or starting in trafic light:

1) starting: valve close, vale opens
2) from D to R: valve open, valve close, vale open, valve close
2) going to N: valve open, valve close.

Now I have to park in confort, because valve are open and closing something like 20 times each time I park.

Valve also open and close when you touch the accelerator pedal in iddle/D/R...

I think is a normal behaviour, I will have to install an Exhaust valve module....

Note that in Reverse the valves will close and the radio/stereo volume will decrease to a minimum. It is a safety feature introduced a while back by the US cars and slowly being adopted here.

Note that in Reverse the valves will close and the radio/stereo volume will decrease to a minimum. It is a safety feature introduced a while back by the US cars and slowly being adopted here.
Mine still sounds insanely loud and gruff in reverse!

Today I noticed that clicking noise coming from the back of the car when starting slowly from idle.
A bit annoying, I would say

Yep that will be the valves opening and closing. Kinda like a faint beep on the PFL.

Has anyone seen any exhaust valve delete plugs that fit the FL yet?

Has anyone seen any exhaust valve delete plugs that fit the FL yet?

No mate, I'm waiting for VW Parts International do release them and give me a group buy :)

Reactions: Phil3
No mate, I'm waiting for VW Parts International do release them and give me a group buy :)

Nice one mate... any hint of when they should have them ready to go? My cars here on March 1st, I thought they would have had some out by now haha

Nice one mate... any hint of when they should have them ready to go? My cars here on March 1st, I thought they would have had some out by now haha
Have chased them to ask mate, spoke in December with them and they said early in the new year...

Reactions: Phil3
Right all, Update from VW Parts on the delete valves.

Hi, We have one prototype ready for testing, we are hoping to be able to release these by the end of the month. We will keep you posted with the testing outcome.

Once released I'll talk to @Sandra about getting a group buy going,

Cheers,

Reactions: Tristan2 and Phil3
Nice work mate... I’ll have my name down for them as soon as they’re available :yes:

Reactions: zaka7
Right all, Update from VW Parts on the delete valves.

Hi, We have one prototype ready for testing, we are hoping to be able to release these by the end of the month. We will keep you posted with the testing outcome.

Once released I'll talk to @Sandra about getting a group buy going,

Cheers,

Yes get back to me about a group buy and we will discuss. :)

Reactions: zaka7