Spare Keys £140 ****

bingbangA4

Reaction score
Hi,
Just bought my A4 Avant S-Line TDI Sport but came with 1 key. I've been given a quote from Links Audi £140 for another key.
I was expecting at most, half that amount....welcome to the world of Audi aftercare!!

Does anyone know if I can really pay less for another key?

When I bought mine it did come with 2 keys (plus the little spare), but only one of them worked.

It transpired that it needed to be "re-coded" and that alone cost £50+. Fortunately they did it under warranty so I wasn't hit with the cost. It is crazy though.

Not sure how much an actual key fob costs, but if the coding of it is 50 quid then it's going to cost a fair bit ... but £140!!! That's ridiculous. Try another dealer for a quote.

Mike

A fair few second hand / used keys come up on ebay. I'm sure that they must be able to be programmed with VAGCOM software. I'm sure a few guys on here must have a copy to use.

Andy

My key got left in my jeans and went though the wash. Took key apart to remove battery and to dry out. Replaced battery and reassembled. IT STILL WORKS OK. Think i was lucky.

whats the problem with the programming of the 'used' keys ? Just don't work ??????

IN-A3 said:
My key got left in my jeans and went though the wash. Took key apart to remove battery and to dry out. Replaced battery and reassembled. IT STILL WORKS OK. Think i was lucky.

Meh. That's nothing. I washed a headunit face plate. Dried it out over night and Robert is you father's brother. :icon_thumright:

Reference the key prices, I'm shocked Cotton. The most I would go for is 100, even then I'd reckon that I was taking it without lube. :faint:

I bought a key of Ebay and it was a waste of time! Finally paid £140 from the dealer. Really is not worth trying to do it cheaper unless you are strick lucky and the dealer gives it to you at a good price!

Exactly the reason I made sure I got both keys with my car, too many second hand cars under 4 years old seem to be offered with only 1 key (private & trade), it annoys the t!ts off me, what do owners do with the other keys, flippin eat them?

Well 140quid is cheap compared to 206quid East Kent Audi from Canterbury Quoted me. I know its Audi but to charge 90quid an hour is ridick!!! Whats ticking me of about this thread is the difference in prices

I've had a look on eBay and there are quite a few new ones with uncut blades, same part number 8Z0 837 231 D so might try one of those. They must work otherwise they wouldn't try to sell many of these keys.
Anyway, if I finally decide to buy one of these does anyone know of a good/cheap vehicle locksmith in Manchester/Cheshire area or have people gone straight to the stealers for it to be cut?

colemanlee76 said:
Well 140quid is cheap compared to 206quid East Kent Audi from Canterbury Quoted me. I know its Audi but to charge 90quid an hour is ridick!!! Whats ticking me of about this thread is the difference in prices

I was just quoted £75 pound for norm spare key and programmed to car, £110 to get 2 keys and both programmed.
For flip key quote was less than £150, but only asked about that as a general question as my Audi is not Remote locking.
That was at Harper and Hebson Carlisle :yahoo:

Bought my car but only came with one working flip key and two none working flip keys. Could unlock the car with the blade but remote didn't work and would not start the engine (would but only for a short time). Read up on this forum and decided to go to Audi to get them coded to the immobaliser and they could not do it. He said that it could either be the immobaliser and they could try changing that at a cost of £615 which I obviously declined, or the keys could be off ebay and most of the time they don't work. He did say that the keys looked genuine but there is no way for them to check. They could also not get them to work with the remote door locks so looks like they are a couple of duds or are not the right type for my car.

They wanted £170 (Camberley Audi) for a new key and programming, will shop around and see if I can get it cheaper anywhere else.

One thing that made me laugh is he asked why I wanted the spare keys programming to the car :huh: