Automatic vs manual? And why?

Do a search mate, plenty of threads on the subject! I think people are fed up of the same thread popping up every few weeks....it's personal choice, drive both and make your own mind up ;) I've just sold an S3 which was manual, I'm now in an A5 coupe s-tronic, the A5 would feel wrong in a manual and I was a die hard manual fan in the S3!!!

Reactions: richinsoton, Daveotto, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Do a search mate, plenty of threads on the subject! I think people are fed up of the same thread popping up every few weeks....it's personal choice, drive both and make your own mind up ;) I've just sold an S3 which was manual, I'm now in an A5 coupe s-tronic, the A5 would feel wrong in a manual and I was a die hard manual fan in the S3!!!
Agreed. We're all different.
I was a manual diehard and after having the S Tronic in the S5 and now S3 I'd be loathed to return to manual certainly with the performance engines.

Reactions: Tom.H and Flying Scotsman
I can’t be bothered to change gears anymore

Reactions: Raiden, Reltub, FBF01 and 3 others
First and foremost, personal preference but if you are undecided then the Pros of each in my view:

Manual:
Choose which gear you are in at all times (read: Tim the Toolman Taylor manliness)
Cheaper to buy

Auto:
Faster gear changes (which result in considerably faster 0-60 times)
Smoother gear changes (happier passengers)
Lazier gear changes (happier left leg on long journeys)
Higher ratio (assuming 7+ gears) so less emissions which, in turn, means cheaper tax and more fuel economic on long runs on motorway

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Friday afternoon thread (again!!!!)

I like to exercise my left arm

Friday afternoon thread (again!!!!)

I like to exercise my left arm
There are 'special' websites for that stuff mate, don't bring it on a family forum! :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom.H, smokey74, Audi Bairn and 5 others
There are 'special' websites for that stuff mate, don't bring it on a family forum! :p

Yep and this is what google says about special websites

91FD74D9 1C9E 4D23 8E3B 63CA94C90965

1st gear limiter bashing
2nd gear limiter bashing
3rd gear limiter bashing
4th gear limiter bashing
5th gear limiter bashing
6th gear limiter bashing

I chose manual for those reasons.

Reactions: MikeParkin
Has reliability been discussed between auto and manual? Clutch & gearbox longevity?

You will get good reports and bad reports on both - just depends on the car, the driver, the driving conditions etc....

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Daveotto and Audi Bairn
Swore I would never drive an "auto" but the dsg is flapping brilliant. Not sure I can ever go back tbf.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom.H and Audi Bairn
Always been manual for me but reading the various comments, and as I get older I think its time for a flappy paddle job!

Both are great, but I wanted a manual so bought a manual.

If you prefer auto you can buy an auto.
If you prefer a manual you can buy a manual - oh hang on - Audi have decided you want auto.

i do like manual and auto - the auto is great and relaxing. But i also like changing gears manually.
if the cost of both boxes was the same, i would have an auto, but due the cost differential i went for a manual. This allowed me spec my car with both tech and comfort, plus a few others, and remain under £40k.
However, i do have a little reservation of the long term issues with the auto box. i would dread out of warranty issues.