Tfsi Intermittent start problem

SinkyA3

Reaction score
Having trouble with my car starting.. intermittent. Sometimes it atarts first time others its like the video. Hope the link works. If anyone knows why it is doing thia or experienced it before any help/advice would be appreciated thanks

The best thing to do would be to take it to a reliable VAG indy or an Audi main stealers if you have to and get it hooked up to VCDS to see what fault codes you're getting and go from there. You can also check the ASN VCDS map to see if there's any users on here who are nearby you can visit.

There's a long list of possibilities as to what may be causing the issue, I know as I've been trying to fix my intermittent start up issue for 2 and a half years now! My problem is that there's no fault codes thrown up and it's so intermittent/random that Storm Devs have never been able to replicate the issue whilst it's in for other work, so it means leaving the car with them to datalog over a long period of time.. Yours appears to be a lot more frequent and so should be easier to datalog if needed.

Here's a list of what it could potentially be though (I've done all of them bar the last three):

Coolant Temperature Gauge
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Camshaft Sensor
Spark Plugs
Coil Packs
Battery
Starter Motor
Clean ECU Connectors
Fuel Filter
Fuel Pump Control Module
Low Pressure Fuel Pump
High Pressure Fuel Pump
Injector(s)
Fuel Rail

Here's my thread for reference, ignore the part in my first few posts where I says it only happens when hot as it also happens when cold: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/2007-s3-bhz-intermittent-start-up-issue.261727/

As said by HHS3 above, always difficult to pin down an intermittent starting issue. My guess is that if the car is not misfiring (either generally or immediately after starting) and is otherwise running smoothly - these problems are often connected to the mixture being marginally too weak for a cold start. In my experience, the most tricky and complex sensor which can cause this issue (whilst not always causing an error code and/or "engine error light") is the MAF sensor.

Thanks for the replies.. im the same as you HHS3.. ive got vcds but no error codes or anything.. ive put a new starter motor on.. new battery.. looks like ive got a lot more stuff to look at though.. hopefully try and get round to looking at some of them at the weekend..
So annoying and frustrating this problem..

If it were my car I would always start with the basics - examine the spark plugs, are they in good condition, does one look different from the others - are they a healthy colour? Any doubts just change them. I'd change the air filter and clean out the air box to remove any leaves and feathers etc. I would examine any rubber vacuum pipework for leaks and splits - this can weaken the mixture if downstream from the MAF sensor