DPi light. Again

Ewan kettles

Reaction score
Well it’s another Friday and once again my DPF light has came on. I’ve driven to and from Aberdeen today (200 miles) at motorway speeds. Around 20 mins before are the msg Home my car wouldn’t rev past 3k like it hit a limiter there was a fair amount of blue smoke as well. Put the boot down and eventually it cleared gets to 3k hesitates and sails on upto 5500rpm like nothing is wrong. And then the DPF light comes on. Recently has had a new clutch and flywheel and a engine carbon clean. We thing the last 3000 miles long to already had a forced regen done. Am I retarded got in saying something is causing the DPF issues. WhT is wrong what the it. Help.

2007 56 plate A3 (8PA) 2.0tdi pd170

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue smoke? What is the general condition of your engine? Is it using engine oil?

It is using oil but not an awful lot I topped it up about 3 weeks ago (1litre) and thts the only time since I’ve owned it since feb. Car got full service history and has been looked after it’s covered 108k nearly 109k now

Have you altered or had problems with the EGR system?
Do you use VAG approved 507/504 engine oil?
Is you fuel economy normal? - your comments about needing to add a relatively modest amount of engine oil suggests the car is not constantly over-fuelling to action a DPF regen
Do you tend to run the car for longish periods with less than a quarter of a tank of fuel?
Have you had issues now or in the past with engine warning lights and error codes relating to other engine management sensors?
Do you mind if I ask what made you do the "carbon clean"? Was this something run through the fuel system?

I use recommended oil for the engine. Fuel is always and only BP. Carbon clean was done as I had a new clutch and flywheel fitted. The car had covered 107k at tht time and it made a big difference to the car.
When I bought the car in feb I had a EML come on way thing the first week and came back as a o2 sensor however this was cleared but not replaced iv had this happen a few times now so I will be replacing this first of all as it’s seems a logical place to start. The DPF warning came on around 2 months after I bought it and it had to be force regened at tht point I mentioned at tht point about the EML light constantly coming on and going off but he couldn’t find any codes on the machine. Iv not touched the EGR valve on the car

Ahh - very interesting what you say about the o2 sensor. See the attached thread, a broken o2 sensor was stopping the car doing either passive or active regens. I would focus on the sensor as a priority and if the sensor is faulty (as opposed to struggling to correct a fuelling issue further up stream) that may well be the root cause of your problem.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/glow-plug-light-flashing.349780/#post-3127350

Yeah I read that thread also I asked the question about the o2 sensor as I’m having roughly the same issues it’s on order and will be with on Monday so I’ll no buy dinner time Monday if it’s helping. I was considering changing the DPF pressure sensor at the same time as it’s only £20 and easy to do but don’t want to just throw money at it and pray I’d rather know exactly what is up for future. Cheers for the help I’ll post again when sensor is replaced and let you know if it helped or not.

Best directed @Cornish John he's a DPF whisperer .

Drove up to Bristol and back overnight, now on 238,000 miles, still drives like the first day I bought it over five years ago.

I may treat her to another oil change tomorrow, just cant fault VAG!!