DTC 01217 - driver side airbag igniter

frankc

Reaction score
Just thought I'd put this up in case anyone else comes up against this. Had my airbag warning light pop up during the week, rather predictably less than two weeks before the MOT is due!

VCDS scan gave -

729dfae5abbfed5037c2738f0318ed0f.jpg

The RossTech wiki suggests either wiring or igniter itself being at fault. Searching online only raised one similar issue that the owner resolved by replacing the airbag completely, I thought I would do some investigation before straight replacement.

The wiring for the driver side airbag starts at a yellow plug on the floor under the seat then runs to the back of the seat and up to the airbag. Unplugging the yellow connector at the floor and re-scanning confirmed the issue was with the seat loom as the DTC changed to upper limit exceeded - because I had unplugged the seat airbag.

Started by taking the seat back off, three push clips at the top of the plastic section which then lifts out and revealed this...

ee419d11d66a8685a2820ddbae425307.jpg

The item on my left index finger is one of the springs for the lumbar support adjuster, which has broken. Looks like the mechanism has managed to trap the wiring for the airbag and kink it. Doesn't look like the sheathing has been compromised but I've taped them all up and cable tied it as far out of the way as possible.

Result - the airbag fault has cleared and the lamp out, for now! Only time will tell, as long as it stays out till after the MOT!

WARNING! Airbags are explosives - ALWAYS disconnect the battery before working on them or their wiring. And once you've finished then turn the ignition on before re-connecting the battery - if they bang its best being as far away as possible!

Frank

Reactions: guyzza75 and QuattroCalum
Some sound advice there Frank I had an airbag fault but it was the connector for the crash sensor in the drivers side engine bay that was damaged, replaced the connector and job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk