Facelift Known fault with FL RS3 - ticking exhaust valve..

That won’t work, until the car comes off cold start the valves stay shut! The only way the valves will open on cold start is if they are forced open.

Have you still got your valves unplugged mate? Any errors on the dash yet? Also have you found any plugs or switches that you can fit, as from what I’ve read they’re a different fit to the PFL?!

Have you still got your valves unplugged mate? Any errors on the dash yet? Also have you found any plugs or switches that you can fit, as from what I’ve read they’re a different fit to the PFL?!

Yes I have, you won’t get any errors on the dash will only see them when you plug the car in.

Nope none at all, waiting on it but not willing to spend silly money. I only need them closed for early cold morning starts as it’s ridiculous open.

Reactions: Phil3
I just unplugged the exhaust valves on my FL and took it for a blast....Much better all round. Get a nice tone all through the range, especially when warmed up. I did one junction the M40 too, not too bad...drone was fine at 70-80'ish mph, more than acceptable. Down the lanes the noise was great, and as you don't have to wait for the valves to open...you don't need to go so fast to get the noise. On walled streets the noise was damn good.

And the best bit that ******* clicking noise is gone. My driveway is walled on both sides, so that clicking was really ******* me off coming in and reversing.

The sound will never be as loud or as brutal as the the PFL, but the tone and volume is much better now than it was before. Only 500 miles on the car so i expect it to get better yet.

Reactions: billymc92, AudiNutta, FBF01 and 1 other person
Get the pops and bangs back then the PFL will be but a distant memory

I just unplugged the exhaust valves on my FL and took it for a blast....Much better all round. Get a nice tone all through the range, especially when warmed up. I did one junction the M40 too, not too bad...drone was fine at 70-80'ish mph, more than acceptable. Down the lanes the noise was great, and as you don't have to wait for the valves to open...you don't need to go so fast to get the noise. On walled streets the noise was damn good.

And the best bit that ******* clicking noise is gone. My driveway is walled on both sides, so that clicking was really ******* me off coming in and reversing.

The sound will never be as loud or as brutal as the the PFL, but the tone and volume is much better now than it was before. Only 500 miles on the car so i expect it to get better yet.

Looks like mine I’ll be getting unplugged in the dealers forecourt just after they hand me over the keys haha

Reactions: DW81

good to hear.... mine has definately got louder as more miles are on the car!!!

Reactions: AudiNutta

My valves are open and I heard a light ticking last night towards the front of the car..... it was the rattle spoken of but mine isn’t bad *touches wood*.

TX this is my analogy with the whole PFL FL comparison

FL likened to a nice well presented women who quite likes the finer things in life, keeps her self trim watches what she eats and drinks never ever farts in front of her partners and likes to be romanced before she lets you take her to bed with lights out of course.

PFL a complete and utter ....... were absolutely anything is game in her eyes, the harder you push her the louder she gets, will no doubt shout and swear through out, spit in the palm of her hand to put out her roll up and ask for a cheeky Nando’s afterwards.

This of course is my own comparison and yes was abit bored tonight.

Reactions: Terminator x, AudiNutta and savo
I started mine yesterday and put scrolled through from Dynamic back to dynamic and instantly as the valves opened the rattle sound stopped - was still in cold start mode for sure.

The ticking of the valves is a little annoying, like you mentioned moving in and out the garage and in slow moving traffic you can hear it.

Well as I’ve said mine are open and tonight in -1 degree temperatures it was rattling like a good’un.

Well as I’ve said mine are open and tonight in -1 degree temperatures it was rattling like a good’un.

You did that quick, is unplugging them really that different? I may have to look at it! (and admittedly how to do it)

Me too what’s the best way to do this
On my S3 it was done by VCDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: zaka7
I still get the ticking for 10-20 seconds on cold start....but the clicking from the exhaust valves when changing gear, reversing/slow traffic is gone. two different things...click or tick.

You did that quick, is unplugging them really that different? I may have to look at it! (and admittedly how to do it)

Yep I did it the day I got it back!

Yes it really is different, huge difference! It’s all low end, get much more noise in the cabin I love it!

Easy to do! Do it when the engine has had time to cool so the exhaust is cool. Start up, put into dynamic so you hear the valves open and unplug the valves so they can’t close again. They are awkward to get out for me and I’ve done them loads of times, so I’d jack the car up first and do an inspection so you know what you’re feeling for and which direction they need to be pulled out in. Just depress the clip and they pull out, easy.

I’ve made that seem more complicated than it is, don’t be put off it’s a piece of cake.

Yep I did it the day I got it back!

Yes it really is different, huge difference! It’s all low end, get much more noise in the cabin I love it!

Easy to do! Do it when the engine has had time to cool so the exhaust is cool. Start up, put into dynamic so you hear the valves open and unplug the valves so they can’t close again. They are awkward to get out for me and I’ve done them loads of times, so I’d jack the car up first and do an inspection so you know what you’re feeling for and which direction they need to be pulled out in. Just depress the clip and they pull out, easy.

I’ve made that seem more complicated than it is, don’t be put off it’s a piece of cake.

Haha, Thanks mate, i'll have a look, Would you plug them back in when car is serviced? assume you don't get any error codes or anything?

Remember to keep the terminals covered and free of dust !!!! And dirt

Haha, Thanks mate, i'll have a look, Would you plug them back in when car is serviced? assume you don't get any error codes or anything?

I never did and Audi never said a thing.

You get an error code for open circuit, but only when the car is plugged in which Audi don’t do without reason anyway.

Something I haven’t been able to do, no plugs to fill them yet....

Let me know mate, not keen on just having electrical tape and a dangling cable... but the extra noise you describe sounds like a must have!

You can buy blank plugs to protect the open connectors and terminator plugs to stop any errors.

Reactions: Tristan2 and Phil3
Let me know mate, not keen on just having electrical tape and a dangling cable... but the extra noise you describe sounds like a must have!

I will be waiting for something to appear on here but I won’t pay £30 for plugs and invisible error codes really do not bother me.

My lead is tucked up into the chassis directly above the exhaust, you won’t get water in there.

You need the noise trust me!

I will be waiting for something to appear on here but I won’t pay £30 for plugs and invisible error codes really do not bother me.

My lead is tucked up into the chassis directly above the exhaust, you won’t get water in there.

Oh I want the noise all the way through the range, so depressing sounding like a beast in 1st then really kind of tame unless I tank it!

I am just worried with error codes re warranty, silly as it may sound, lets be honest, companies are a nightmare and use literally anything to get out of a claim if they can.

Water can get to the most obscure places!

Reactions: Splathead and DW81
Oh I want the noise all the way through the range, so depressing sounding like a beast in 1st then really kind of tame unless I tank it!

I am just worried with error codes re warranty, silly as it may sound, lets be honest, companies are a nightmare and use literally anything to get out of a claim if they can.

Then this is the fix for you!

Don’t worry about it, I’m a warranty worrier as many take the p*ss on here for it. When it goes in, plug them back in and if they ever said anything... “oh really? Strange that, do you have any idea why the car would think that because I haven’t touched it?” Let’s face it, it isn’t doing any harm only benefit if anything with the extra flow.

Water can get to the most obscure places!

Very true! It’s not the permenant solution for me, I hope to get a Valve Controller because it’s just too loud on cold starts at unsociable times. My neighbour walked up yesterday and all he said was “so it’s you making all this blinking noise?”

I just said sorry there really is nothing I can do about it, it’s the car.

Reactions: Jonny B and FBF01
Drove pfl today and it was brutal

I went to audi Wakefield for my test drive and the saleswoman was amazing tbh but anyways under a bridge at a red light and put the it in neutral and tickled the revs poor old woman behind literally shat herself infact I did a little too! She then proceeded to pip her horn in anger at been shot at by the silly ppl in the RS3 I didn't get chance to try that in the fl but I'd be very dissapointed if it doesn't do those noises they had sold their demo I was meant to drive the day before!

Loved the pfl though!

Is it just a mapping issue? If so would a stage 1 map make the facelift pop and bang?

Reactions: Terminator x, AudiNutta and DW81
Glad you enjoyed your test drive mate, if you test drive one again especially with the sports exhaust which by the sounds of it you did downshift from 3rd to 2nd:boom::boom:, from what I can gather the new FL as a completely different fuel injection and mapping software to it that the PFL doesn’t have so that could be were some of the more aggressive pops and bangs may be lost too, but the FL as come on a lot in regards to handling and seems a lot quicker too with a much smoother s Tronic gearbox and software updates. So the real test mate is to test drive the FL and only YOU can decide, good luck

Yeah she told me I can have a facelift version for a test but that pfl was perfect and has sold it to me on what I definitely want! It was calm on the motorway but a riot once egged on! Ive fallen in love tbh now if I go for the facelift I need to make it make those noises but don't really want to map it

Reactions: DW81
Then the pfl is for you my man. Great car and is dropping nicely in price too if you are a buyer - when I was looking at them 9 months ago most were well north of £40k for a 16 reg low mileage example with the right options - now you are looking at £35 - 36k or so. A great deal if you find a nice one imo.

Nah definitely want new as I'm ordering march for next September hopefully

Make sure you don't melt your lead! Not too close to the hot exhaust....

Hm, don’t count on still being able to order a Facelift in March!! Around then is when we would predict for them to come off sale.

Don’t miss the boat!
The facelift doesn’t pop and bang at all once you are moving and only pops when you blip the throttle in neutral.

You will be sorely disappointed if you think a FL will sound like the PFL you drove. Having driven both, I can tell you that the FL is not as hooligan like as the PFL.

Reactions: AudiNutta