2.0 tdi 150, 30mph, 4th gear or 5th gear?

Nigeltdi4life

Reaction score
Just curious, what gear do you guys use? I usually use 4th at 30mph but sometimes I use 5th depending on the traffic and the road. Would 5th gear be bad because the revs are so low causing labour? I would use 5th if the traffic is light and I'm able to maintain 35mphish on a flat road. Which is more fuel efficient? :D

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

4th gear for me...5th gear if roads are super clear ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nigeltdi4life
3rd or 4th, definitely not 5th.

Reactions: Daveotto and rvtb101
5th gear @ 30 causes nasty vibrations on the dual mass fly wheel surely? Leading to premature wear

5th gear @ 30 causes nasty vibrations on the dual mass fly wheel surely? Leading to premature wear
If you put the foot down in 5th at low rpms yes, but I just cruise at 35-40mph with my foot very very lightly on the pedal, seems to be fine.

3rd in slow traffic 20-25mph. 4th at 30mph Cruise. 5th at 35-40 in light traffic at night along the carriageway.

The little telltale / gearshift indicator in the centre left of the instrument cluster will also tell you if you need to shift up / down as a rough guide to economy.

Reactions: amb66
What about at 40mph on a carriageway guys? 4th or 5th? What do you prefer?

As long as my car is above 1450 rpm I'm fine. When it starts dropping down it's always lower gear for me because DMF hates anything below 1400 rpm.