Facelift Folding mirrors or High beam assist ???

Interesting response with only one person opting for HBA. I have opted for HBA on my new A4 over the likes of folding mirrors, so I will know better once I pick it up next month.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Had HBA on my B8 S4 and it just never worked correctly. Things like reflective signs at night would set it off and then it wouldn’t actually dip when a car came along. Rubbish.

They have probably upgraded it by now, but I couldn’t live without folding mirrors now.

Discovered that the SQ5 has dimming mirrors on it the other night - was very impressed with that and made night time driving much better - might be worth considering.

Standard LED lights on the FL S3 are superb and a big step up over xenons.

I now have full Matrix now and they are pretty good too - they illuminate sideways for instance at allow speeds - and you get sweeping indicators on the front, but if I was on a budget, I’m not sure if choose them again.

Reactions: The Challinor
Certain HBA is better than that on the 8V. I like mine, it's remarkably efficient and reliable.
But as others have said, given a choice of only one I would go for folding mirrors.

The thing with HBA is it's only useful at night, plus if there is a hint of street lighting around then it wont activate. If most of your night time driving is inner city then its a waste
It's a cool feature but will always be second to folding mirrors

Right lets call a spade a spade.l had HBA on my focus Xenon lit ST3 loved it but it only works when there is no street/road lighting exactly the same with the Matrix candles,l have found the Matrix candles to light up the parts of the road that l dont need lit up.....*** it lights up all the left hand side of the road..ie trees forrests,Road signs etc etc.

Basically Matrix headlights is a extension of high beam assist.and in my opinion is still to be refined and tuned

Folding wingers best option Audi provide

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and The Challinor
Two folks have said that HBA doesn't work in street lights. But it doesn't need to surely. If you have manual full beam you turn them off in town - no?

Two folks have said that HBA doesn't work in street lights. But it doesn't need to surely. If you have manual full beam you turn them off in town - no?
It shouldn't work when there's any road lighting available as this is what the sensor/camera picks up as you drive along, and yeah you don't need the full beam on when there is road lights

Exactly and that's the point, is HBA a feature that you'll actually get to use. In the 9 months I've had my car I've probably used it twice, whereas the folding mirrors fold every time the car is locked

mk7-mirror.gif

Reactions: The Challinor, Snake Pliskin, josul and 2 others
Exactly and that's the point, is HBA a feature that you'll actually get to use. In the 9 months I've had my car I've probably used it twice, whereas the folding mirrors fold every time the car is locked
I live in a rural area and if I go out after dark I will use HBA everytime.

Right lets call a spade a spade.l had HBA on my focus Xenon lit ST3 loved it but it only works when there is no street/road lighting exactly the same with the Matrix candles,l have found the Matrix candles to light up the parts of the road that l dont need lit up.....*** it lights up all the left hand side of the road..ie trees forrests,Road signs etc etc.

Basically Matrix headlights is a extension of high beam assist.and in my opinion is still to be refined and tuned

Folding wingers best option Audi provide

Surely the edge of the road and road signs are exactly what you want lit up? As I stated before, had them on my last two BMWs and a must have for me. (Matrix lights)

Surely the edge of the road and road signs are exactly what you want lit up? As I stated before, had them on my last two BMWs and a must have for me. (Matrix lights)

What the left hand side.... I ain't talking a few feet to the left of the edge of the road here, l am meaning yards from the edge of the road, l have been in several BMW cars with the adaptive lights etc etc there beams aren't as variable as the matrix lights and when it comes to driving in heavy rain both are redundant as the rain and wet roads cancel the beams out, then there's driving in fog...... Switch off the multi beam instantly as the light beams bounce back at you, l live in a rural area, so the matrix lights are always on for miles, in dry conditions they light up the road very well indeed, but so did full beam on my previous cars, my point being the price versus the gains over normal led headlights......l probably got them because of resale value, but if someone is torn between say matrix headlights and another option, l would advise go with the other option/options

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I don't have folding mirrors or high beam assist so can't help @The Challinor make his decision from my own experience. But I do know that I am spec'ing "winking wingers" next time around after reading this thread!

What the left hand side.... I ain't talking a few feet to the left of the edge of the road here, l am meaning yards from the edge of the road, l have been in several BMW cars with the adaptive lights etc etc there beams aren't as variable as the matrix lights and when it comes to driving in heavy rain both are redundant as the rain and wet roads cancel the beams out, then there's driving in fog...... Switch off the multi beam instantly as the light beams bounce back at you, l live in a rural area, so the matrix lights are always on for miles, in dry conditions they light up the road very well indeed, but so did full beam on my previous cars, my point being the price versus the gains over normal led headlights......l probably got them because of resale value, but if someone is torn between say matrix headlights and another option, l would advise go with the other option/options

Sounds like yet another Audi ploy to get even more cash out of us mate. May help resale though as you say & your car certainly is ‘fully loaded’ so resale will be a piece of cake with a gem of a car :yes:

As for folding mirrors - I couldn’t be without them & use them every day. Great for car parks & road side parking - & knowing the car is locked when walking away.

Sounds like yet another Audi ploy to get even more cash out of us mate. May help resale though as you say & your car certainly is ‘fully loaded’ so resale will be a piece of cake with a gem of a car :yes:

As for folding mirrors - I couldn’t be without them & use them every day. Great for car parks & road side parking - & knowing the car is locked when walking away.
I think the next generation of the matrix lights should be better mate,lighting technology is always advancing, would like to see them laser lights in operation though but at £3495 on a R8 they'd better be ****** good lol ye can get them on the new 7 series may ask if he can get a hold of one try them out

Reactions: Snake Pliskin