Getting behind the front 12v socket

A4AvantBlackEdition

Reaction score
Would it be relatively easy getting to the wiring behind the front 12v socket?

I’m not wanting the cable on show for my dash cam, in my previous car I took out the front 12v socket and piggy packed one of these sockets from it into the glovebox to connect my dash cam to so you couldn’t see any wiring.

I still have the socket and cable and wondered if anyone knew how easy it would be to get to the wiring.

Or I’m sure someone has a much better idea of how to wire it up.

Cheers guys and gals.

Attachments

• 3E0A96DA-00F7-4285-8D12-3657D21895F2.png
    3E0A96DA-00F7-4285-8D12-3657D21895F2.png
    498.8 KB · Views: 238
I wouldn’t bother taking the centre console out only to hardwire the cigarette socket and hide wiring.
Yes. Better idea is to hardwire it directly to fuse box. Piggyback it to ignition switched fuse or empty terminal and that should do it.

I have a 2 x usb charger done that way and all wires (with whole charger module) hidden behind the fuse box.
Had to take off all under dash trim and had loads of room to attach it to. Found empty ignition switched fuse slot and connected the positive terminal to it.

You could also do the same with batt pack. It gets hardwired to constant live fuse and manage power to your dash cam. It also make sure, cam will not draw too much power, cutting it off at the level enough to start your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t bother taking the centre console out only to hardwire the cigarette socket and hide wiring.
Yes. Better idea is to hardwire it directly to fuse box. Piggyback it to ignition switched fuse or empty terminal and that should do it.

I have a 2 x usb charger done that way and all wires (with whole charger module) hidden behind the fuse box.
Had to take off all under dash trim and had loads of room to attach it to. Found empty ignition switched fuse slot and connected the positive terminal to it.

You could also do the same with batt pack. It gets hardwired to constant live fuse and manage power to your dash cam. It also make sure, cam will not draw too much power, cutting it off at the level enough to start your car.

Is wiring it to the fuse box simple? Any ideas which fuse to use and how to piggy back it?

Ive done mine to the fusebox using hardvire kit. It was 10 min job . Wire is running behind all the trim to there my cam is behind the mirror
c52bd17aac35e88febfbedeb9746f9bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Has anyone posted a DIY thread for hardwiring a dashcam? I've got mine plugged into the rear 12v socket at the moment. Where do you take the negative connection from?

Plenty on youtube

Ive done mine to the fusebox using hardvire kit. It was 10 min job . Wire is running behind all the trim to there my cam is behind the mirror
c52bd17aac35e88febfbedeb9746f9bf.jpg

Is it literally just a case of live wire to fuse (which fuse did you use and what amp fuse for dash cam?) and neutral to a ground point?

Is it that simple?

Can I use an add a fuse adapter? Am I right in assuming the fuses are the mini fuses?

Is it literally just a case of live wire to fuse (which fuse did you use and what amp fuse for dash cam?) and neutral to a ground point?

Is it that simple?

Can I use an add a fuse adapter? Am I right in assuming the fuses are the mini fuses?
It is simple. On mine the harwireire kit came with all stuff needed for the job

The fuse i went for was heated windscreen spray jets as i didnt wanted battery drain issues
ce16b8cbb6e32d5f80d9855555cf361a.jpg

It is simple. Just check which fuse is for what and using multimeter, check if power in the fuse is with ignition on or off.

Some fuses are mini some are standard size.

Piggy backing is even simpler.

Negative you need to attach to car chassis. Bare metal.

It is simple. On mine the harwireire kit came with all stuff needed for the job

The fuse i went for was heated windscreen spray jets as i didnt wanted battery drain issues
ce16b8cbb6e32d5f80d9855555cf361a.jpg

What’s the box part? Is this a battery to keep it running? Can I just buy the piggy back part in the bottom right of this pic or do I need the box with the cables?

It is simple. Just check which fuse is for what and using multimeter, check if power in the fuse is with ignition on or off.

Some fuses are mini some are standard size.

Piggy backing is even simpler.

Negative you need to attach to car chassis. Bare metal.

So can I literally just use a piggy back connector to any fuse that is only on with ignition? Nothing else is needed?

Reactions: KrisKrk
That box is a control unit as the cam is hardwired.
Something like that usually is in the standard cigarette lighter plug but will not manage the power.

You can go for piggy only

What’s the box part? Is this a battery to keep it running? Can I just buy the piggy back part in the bottom right of this pic or do I need the box with the cables?
Its the power adapted from 12v to usb 5v . Normally its inside the 12v plug that comes with the dash can but with this as its hardwired ita just a small box

Yes.

You can still use the lighter socket to attach, if you want the camera to be taken out occasionally

That box is a control unit as the cam is hardwired.
Something like that usually is in the standard cigarette lighter plug but will not manage the power.

You can go for piggy only

Ah, I see. So I will need this then to convert the power from 12v to 5v for my camera.

It’s not just a case of cutting off the connector from my dash cam and wiring it to the piggy back?

Could I crack open the cigarette lighter connector part of my charger cable and soldier some wires from the live and ground and connect it that way? Or am I just being stupid now?

You can do but that is how fire starts if you get it wrong :) .

Hardwire kit is few £ only so why bother.

Reactions: A4AvantBlackEdition
Could I crack open the cigarette lighter connector part of my charger cable and soldier some wires from the live and ground and connect it that way? Or am I just being stupid now?

It’s not silly but daft a bit.
Sorry but you just showed us a picture of a cigarette lighter socket, right? So get the piggy back to it and hardwire it to fuse box as explained.
Normal 12v plug shaved to the hardwired socket and hide all wires behind the fuse box/trims and off you go.

It’s not silly but daft a bit.
Sorry but you just showed us a picture of a cigarette lighter socket, right? So get the piggy back to it and hardwire it to fuse box as explained.
Normal 12v plug shaved to the hardwired socket and hide all wires behind the fuse box/trims and off you go.

That thought literally just crossed my mind. I blame my tiredness on my brain not working (honest) I’ve already got it so it saves getting the hardware kit. I’ll just hard wire the socket and hide it under the dash.

Cheers.

That thought literally just crossed my mind. I blame my tiredness on my brain not working (honest) I’ve already got it so it saves getting the hardware kit. I’ll just hard wire the socket and hide it under the dash.

Cheers.
I got one of these..
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/161976793008
And piggybacked it into one of the fuses using the add a circuit adapter like in the nextbase kit.
Used 1 of the usb sockets to connect the existing cable to my dash cam, and the other usb I got a micro usb extension for phone/tablet charging. All hidden under dash..
Probs about a fiver all in!
Only helpful if your existing dash cam cable is connected to a usb lighter socket... But I imagine it is.

Mike

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I got one of these..
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/161976793008
And piggybacked it into one of the fuses using the add a circuit adapter like in the nextbase kit.
Used 1 of the usb sockets to connect the existing cable to my dash cam, and the other usb I got a micro usb extension for phone/tablet charging. All hidden under dash..
Probs about a fiver all in!
Only helpful if your existing dash cam cable is connected to a usb lighter socket... But I imagine it is.

Mike

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Mine is just a cigarette lighter type. But I’m just going to piggy back my socket I posted originally to the fuse box and hide my existing connector. Solves the 12v to 5v issue and means I only have to get the piggyback fuse connector.

Piggies are only a couple of pounds for a pair or so. Some of them come also with fuses.

Make sure you’ll check which fuse you want to back to and get the same amp fuse.
Not to mention, size of the piggy and fuse.

Reactions: A4AvantBlackEdition