Possible haldex woes - again

S3GCN

Reaction score
To all those who have had haldex issues which have been repaired/sorted, have any of you experienced any further issues since?

I had problems 12 months ago and eventually Audi decided that there was an issue with my haldex and replaced it, the work was carried out mid-December 2016.

Coming home from work tonight, admittedly on a damp and therefore greasy road surface, setting off from a standstill and giving it some beans the traction control light was illuminated and I had wheel spin issues.

I haven't had time for a more thorough inspection to see if I think it is a major problem due to looking after our toddler tonight so will have to try it tomorrow to see how it fairs.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Car is an 8V S3, it was four years old at the start of last month. It was a bit out of warranty when Audi replaced the haldex last time. If I do have a problem what would your stance be? Warranty replacement parts don't have a warranty any longer than the vehicle but if there is an issue would you really expect the same part to fail again within 12 months? Would you be pushing for Audi to replace the part foc again?

Cheers

If they've replaced it, then that part should carry a 12 month warranty anyway I'd imagine.

To all those who have had haldex issues which have been repaired/sorted, have any of you experienced any further issues since?

I had problems 12 months ago and eventually Audi decided that there was an issue with my haldex and replaced it, the work was carried out mid-December 2016.

Coming home from work tonight, admittedly on a damp and therefore greasy road surface, setting off from a standstill and giving it some beans the traction control light was illuminated and I had wheel spin issues.

I haven't had time for a more thorough inspection to see if I think it is a major problem due to looking after our toddler tonight so will have to try it tomorrow to see how it fairs.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Car is an 8V S3, it was four years old at the start of last month. It was a bit out of warranty when Audi replaced the haldex last time. If I do have a problem what would your stance be? Warranty replacement parts don't have a warranty any longer than the vehicle but if there is an issue would you really expect the same part to fail again within 12 months? Would you be pushing for Audi to replace the part foc again?

Cheers

When you say they replaced.. what exactly did they replace / service ?

The haldex unit/ filter / oil ... everything.. I presume so?

You have made no mention of your cars mileage or of the mileage conpleted since the replacememt. The Audi service manual states the haldex should have an oil change at 38k, however plenty of people have serviced before and especially those with stage 2/3 cars have completed not just oil changes but filter changes early / have experienced issues... so its defo a weak spot.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/check-this-out-haldex-pump.348155/#post-3132113

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/8v-haldex-problem.346298/

One would not expect to have issues if all of the above was replaced 12 months ago. Having said that u cant expect perfect traction this time of year, especially if your tyres are worn on damp / greasy/ icy conditions. Haldex / quattro doesnt give u a licence to guaranteed traction eapecially if you have your foot down.

What you should expect from a fully working system this time of year/ right now is that it doesnt interfere too much and that you can use full throttle most of the time, eapecially if the steering wheels are straight. If this is not the case you will need to look at your tyres first (presuming they are good ) then question the haldex / quattro system...... Mine for example allows for full power without interruption, based on good tyres, 6m tread and mild greasy conditions. If I was to pull out of a junction however it would flash up if i gave it the beans from a complete standstill. Anything more than this on quality tyres u might have an issue. For example you should not be fighting with the steering wheel / have excessive torque steer.. if you do you probably have an issue as your car has defaulted to 2WD mode, rather than 4WD

Units replaced under warranty where you have not paid a penny actually come with no guarantee... if you have paid even just a £1 you would have a 12 month warranty on the parts. Having said that I agree presuming tyres are good you should not have to expect any issues from a replacement haldex unit.. if symptoms persist u might want to drop it back into Audi. Especially as they have been kind enough to previously replace just outside of warranty... does not hurt to get it checked out.,

Good luck

Regds
Jungle

Last edited:
Reactions: Flying Scotsman