Honest motorist owned up to hitting my unattended car

Rupert49

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I was meeting up with friends at a garden centre. I parked correctly well within the marked spaces.

When I returned to the car, there was a note fluttering on the windscreen which I thought at first might be a flyer, but I quickly realised was anything but. My heart sank when I read:

"Hi, I am so sorry but I have reversed into your car. My name is ****, tel. ****, please do call me for my insurance details. Many thanks, so sorry, *signed*".

The damage was relatively light, front wheel arch and spoiler both clearly requiring some work, so I drove home and called the number that evening. The lady was really nice, extremely apologetic and gave me all the information that my insurance company told me to ask for. It transpired that she'd reversed into me whilst manoeuvring in the car park and because, as she informed me, she didn't have parking sensors on her car, she'd managed to crunch into mine.

According to my insurance company, her car was a '63 plate Mercedes SLK 250 AMG Sport CDi Convertible. So I'm thinking: 'What? No parking sensors? On a car like that? Surely not!'

Suffice to say that all subsequent expenses were fully covered by the nice lady's policy. I was without my car for exactly a week and I had the use of a '65 plate BMW 420d X-Drive for the duration (not a patch on the Audi of course!). Not only was all the repair work carried out to perfection, but the assessors had reckoned that it would be safer to fit me a brand new tyre into the bargain, since there was a tiny chunk that had been gouged out of the sidewall, presumably down to the same incident.

I count myself uncommonly fortunate that on this occasion the other party was good enough to come clean and own up to her mistake .. I'm sure most people would have just driven off and hoped they weren't spotted.

Reactions: KenL, daytonamart, azibux1 and 11 others
Good to hear that their are some good honest people around. Glad you got it all sorted. :)

Although a bad experience, it's good to know that there a good people out there (there's not many of us around ha ha!).
We were at a farm shop / restaurant a couple of weeks ago when a woman came in from the car park asking if anyone drove a red Honda, which thankfully wasn't us but the phrase "does anyone drive a......" seemed to go in slow motion with that feeling of dread until we knew it wasn't us. But at least she was honest enough to own up.

Reactions: richinsoton and Sandra
:rapture:Looks like this story has renewed my faith in human nature very slightly :whistle2:

Reactions: suzannec, KenL, Sandra and 1 other person
Pleased to hear there are some honest people out there and that it all got sorted out.

Reminds of the time someone in the works car park left me an an Arsy note as I parked within the marked bay but off centre to the left so limited there ability to open there car door, no damage to my car but threatened to do some damage the next time i parked off-centre.

As I left work early that day I assumed the note was from the car still parked in the bay to my left so left my name and phone number and asked them to give me a call, needless to say I never got a call, but kept there note for a few weeks just in case I got an unexpected ding

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Blimey, that kind of sh!t would never happen to me.

Maybe humans aren't as selfish and as self centred as I have come to expect after all.

I like to believe lots of humans aren't selfish........ it's just that we never hear the good stories about/from them !
It's easy to think that nearly everybody else cannot be trusted.... but the **** who put a small crease across the front wheelarch in her S3 saloon cost us £600 by the time the film had been replaced ..... no note ! Surgery car park.:grimacing: