New 8P owner and first problem

slowcoach3

Reaction score
Hi all, long term S3 8l owner but thought I'd treat myself to a 3.2 I picked it up the other day and it was faultless until I parked it up for a couple of days and went to drive it today.
The coolant temp gauge went up to just under 90 in under 10 seconds then after 5 mins of driving sat just over 90. My 8l and every other vag I've ever had takes 6-8 mins to slowly reach 90 then sits rock steady dead on the centre of the gauge. Coolant level is 100 % as it should be.
Has anyone seen this before?
Cheers

Mine takes anywhere from 5- 10 minutes ambient temperature dependant , but gets to bang on 90 and stays there, however Carista shows it never getting above 80 ....maybe an electrical bug. Might be worth changing the sensor ?

Reactions: slowcoach3
Carista?
I'll plug vcds in and check the readings on there. Probably a cheap sensor, just a weird one I've not seen before

Yes, I agree that this is likely to be a sensor problem as there is no way that it can get up to 90 in 10 seconds.
Do you have a warranty?

Just been out and plugged the car into vcds and coolant temps are bang on. Only code is an intermittent one for maf low signal.
Just realised though, the temp gauge sits just over 90 even when the car is off and there's no key in ignition! Now I'm stumped

Is the gauge faulty/stuck. You might have to take the instrument cluster apart and see ?.

Carista?
I'll plug vcds in and check the readings on there. Probably a cheap sensor, just a weird one I've not seen before

Carista is an obd2 app, like Torque, but you have access to VCDS anyway :)

Reactions: slowcoach3