Best 4k TV's

I still fancy the LG OLED55C7. With my discount it works out at £1394 from Currys.

The LG OLED55E7 states it has got ‘picture om glass’ (what ever that means) but it is the same screen!

By all accounts according to the link above; there isn’t going to really be any improvements in the 2018 models and they will start retailing at £3000 in July, when they become available.

Yup....so get buying!

The E7 is nice, but you're right it's exactly the same panel. Basically doesn't have a bezel, just has a glass panel showing around the edge.
Also has a soundbar that's meant to be 'alright'. Better than speakers on the C7, but no where near as good as a dedicated soundbar.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Ok ok so I need to decide this week. lol
Just never spent that much on a TV before.

Reactions: DrEskimo
Ok ok so I need to decide this week. lol
Just never spent that much on a TV before.

Haha, sorry I would never want to think I'm pressuring you into buying an extremely expensive thing that you really don't need...!

As ever, only buy it if you wont regret spending that much money.
Chances are, a £500 4K TV will do a great job for you as well....

I’m one of those that has to have the best gadget so OLED seems the way forward! Lol

Reactions: DrEskimo
So @ScottishA4B9 did you buy your telly .i have been following this for ages as I’m in exactly the same position as you are .i have a Panasonic plasma from 10 years ago and the picture quality is still excellent but I just want a bigger screen now so I’m looking the 55” LG also possibly .i blankly refuse to buy from curry’s ever again so richer sounds it is for me .
Please get this this week and let me know your thoughts on it .

@GarethS4 Not yet. Whats so bad about Curry's? That's where I was looking at buying mine from. Mainly because I get 7% discount and I really want the LG OLED55C7. The new models (LG OLED55B8) are being released in June/July and the only differences are quoted as being a slightly different processor and voice control. But they will be at the release price of £3000 and won't be reduced until the Black Friday sales this year.
I get 6% discount in Argos but they only give 1 year warranty and are a shower of sh*t if anything goes wrong, so I refuse to buy from them.

@DrEskimo Just seen seen an LG OLED55B7 for £900 advertised local to me. Only has 1 month warranty and a slight dent to left edge but everything works perfect. Don’t know if it’s worth taking that chance or getting my preferred C7 for £1380 new?

To be honest for the difference I would get a new one with 6 year warranty.
I keep looking at getting the Sony A1, I keep waiting for the price to drop more.
I had a demo in Richer sounds between the A1 and the LG b7. The b7 seemed to handle SD better but the sound and 4k was much better on the Sony......but it is £1,100 more!
My current Sony is 10 years old and still going strong.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yea I’m with @no_idea. £400 would be worth it for a non dented one with 5yrs warranty...

Up to you though buddy!

Curry’s have a sh1t attitude when I returned a item which I had been paying insurance on for any accident .my wee lad spilt juice on the keyboard and basically in a nutshell they refused to repair or replace as it was “to wet “ inside .sorry next time he will only spill half his glass of juice .a55holes I swear don’t start me .it wasn’t a cheap £200 item either it was my work item.

@no_idea Better 4K picture with the Sony? Really? I would be surprised if it did as it shares the same LG panel so picture will be the same. The only difference could be whatever the setup/in put was.

@GarethS4 I've been following the LG OLED Deals on HotUKDeals and PRC Direct are selling the LG OLED55B7V for £1399 (must enter discount code WINTER100 for £100 discount from £1499).

Some people are quoting that Richer Sounds will price match this if you call them and someone got another £20 off for good measure (£1379 - Cheapest price on the net!). Cheapest I can get from Currys is £1394.07 with my 7% discount.

Plus Richer Sounds provide a 6 Year warranty rather than the usual 5 that everybody else is offering! (Apart from Argos who only offer a pathetic 1 Year warranty!).

The LG OLED55C7V can also be bought from Richer Sounds but it isn't advertised on their website.

I've never bought from Richer Sounds before. Can anybody comment on what they are like?

I think to better qualify that statement was the picture itself was pretty much the same but the way the Sony handled the motion seemed better to me. The picture was much the same as you state they use the same panel.
Maybe it's my Sony blinkers working to full effect to justify the price difference

I have found Richer Sounds to be very good, I have bought a few things there and their knowledge seemed good and nothing was too much trouble. I had them demonstrate a few different sets of speakers with the Marantz unit I had picked out, not a problem for them.

Also they are very happy to demo the TVs on SD to show up all the picture deficiency. I am not sure if Curry's would do that? Not been for a long time so can't really comment. As you state 6 year warranty too.

Another place I found very good was John Lewis, they will price match but 'only' a 5 year warranty.

I believe your right actually. There does seem to be a slightly different motion processor in the Sony. And thank you for review of Richer Sounds. They do seem to be the better place to buy from, and now my preferred choice of vender, should I buy.

I have been a Sony fan in the past. My last main TV was a Sony and lasted me 10 years. I've currently got an Samsung LED HD TV but the Samsung QLEDs don't seem to be as good as the LG OLEDs according to every review I have read.

I know what you mean by the Sony A1 though. For me I think the £1000 price difference is to big to consider it and I hear the android operating system on it is awful by all accounts and not as good as the LG's. Although the sound through the screen 'magic',that the Sony A1 has, sounds very impressive. The reviews I have read all suggest that the cheaper LG OLEDs are a better proposition, mainly due the lower costs and better operating system.

I hear alot about motion processing but can somebody actually describe what it is? Is it something that makes a massively difference?

For instance is there alot of difference between the LG OLEDs and the Sony A1?

Last edited:
Prc direct won’t post to me but yes r sounds will price match them and give you £10-£20 extra off.

Well I phoned Richer Sounds and they will do the LG OLED55B7V for £1379.99.
They can’t price match the C7 and they don’t have any in stock anyway.

@GarethS4
So I bought the LG OLED55B7V today for £1379 from Richer Sounds after they price matched.
I compared it against the Sony A1 and some scenes the Sony was slightly brighter and other the LG was. I thought the motion processing on fast scenes was the same although my mates reackoned the LG was better.
The equivalent Panasonic OLED looked dreadful alongside and LOADS of blurreyness with fast motions.
The fact that the Sony was £1100 more sealed the deal for me.

@no_idea The manager in Richer Sounds says the Sony A1 won’t come down any further in price as they aren’t making hardly any profit on the TV at its current discounted price. It’s just been reduced from £3500 to £2499. I really thought there wasn’t really anything between the 2, picture and motion wise.

Reactions: GarethS4 and DrEskimo
@GarethS4
So I bought the LG OLED55B7V today for £1379 from Richer Sounds after they price matched.
I compared it against the Sony A1 and some scenes the Sony was slightly brighter and other the LG was. I thought the motion processing on fast scenes was the same although my mates reackoned the LG was better.
The equivalent Panasonic OLED looked dreadful alongside and LOADS of blurreyness with fast motions.

@no_idea The manager in Richer Sounds says the Sony A1 won’t come down any further in price as they aren’t making hardly any profit on the TV at its current discounted price. It’s just been reduced from £3500 to £2499. I really thought there wasn’t really anything between the 2, picture and motion wise.

:rockwoot:

Great price! And I agree with the others, RS are great for CS. Wish I bought mine from there, but when the offer for the C7 was at £1,350 I just knew I had to be quick, so bought from Currys direct....hopefully don't have to find out if their CS is bad...!

Enjoy!

@GarethS4

I was meant to go to richer sounds and collect a tv myself today but I couldnt be bothered tbh.i also am going to get a Samsung soundbar along with it .anyone use a soundbar and if so are they a good job or a waste of money .

I was meant to go to richer sounds and collect a tv myself today but I couldnt be bothered tbh.i also am going to get a Samsung soundbar along with it .anyone use a soundbar and if so are they a good job or a waste of money .

I tried an LG SJ8, which was the second tier down from their all singing all dancing Dolby Atmos job.
It was on sale in RS, £250 down from £500 so thought it was worth a punt. Nice and slim, same length as the LG OLED 55" and came with a wireless sub.

I was initially impressed, but then when Miss Eskimo went to bed I put the volume down to watch Jurassic Park (...honest...) and it was completely inaudible....!

There was a low level hiss when it was <10 (which wasn't that low..) and the sound kept coming in and going that meant it actually missed small sounds/dialogue in between silence! Took it back for a full refund and still trying to work out a solution for my sound...

That's the problem with the lovely thin TV's....the speakers are awful and you end up spending the same money again getting a good sound set-up for it...

@GarethS4

Well done with your choice I don't think you will regret it.
As I said Sony blinkers were in full use!
I don't think it will come down much more as a new OLED has just been released at CES last week and it is meant to fit below the A1. Sony are continuing with the A1. No prices announced yet on the new model, but that could be more affordable.

I’ve hooked mine up to my Samsung soundbar and sound is really good.

Hooked up the PS4 and was blown away! It’s amazing!
There is a fair bit of judder when watching 4K on Netflix but not sure if that’s because I’m steaming it or that I haven’t touched the settings on the tv.

Well 1 week on from purchasing the LG OLED55B7V and I thought I would let you know my thoughts:

The picture is amazing! HD content looks beautiful on it. I’ve not had a chance to put any 4K through it yet which will obviously make it better still.
The PS4 looks fantastic on it.

The only grip is that it makes SD look awful. But then all OLED TVs do that.

I would highly recommend this TV.