B9 S4 Avant - Paint Pealing Off

JRO

Reaction score
So, 3 months and 6,000 miles later, I still cant get enough of the noise from the car, the efficiency is improving but I have an issue with Paint Flaking from the car.

On both the drivers side Front and the Passenger Rear Side under the arch at the bottom, for most cars this is either treated or covered in plastic, but on the S4 this is painted in the colour of the car.

As from the picture attached it is flaking off at an alarming rate, visited local garage Cheshire Oaks where the car was purchased from and they are starting a warranty claim with Audi. The car will then be sent to a body shop and re-painted, but on a car which is only 3 months old (67 Plate) I really do not want a re-painted car.....what should I do, can I reject the car?

Appreciate the car is a little dirty - was washed on Sunday but live in Cheshire down some tight lanes - never stays clean for long :(

Help Needed!

Attachments

• image1 (002).jpg
    image1 (002).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 317
  • image1 (003).jpg
    image1 (003).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 324
Paint flaking in that place also affected the a3 as well, unfortuately it is in a place that receives abrasive materials from the rear wheels. Suggest a trip back to the dealership to see if they can repaint then apply a good and hard clear sealant..

Reactions: JRO
Paint flaking in that place also affected the a3 as well, unfortuately it is in a place that receives abrasive materials from the rear wheels. Suggest a trip back to the dealership to see if they can repaint then apply a good and hard clear sealant..

Just received a call from garage, Audi are not agreeing its an issue, they claim it is paint over spray, fortunately the local garage disagree and will contact me tomorrow with a resolution. Personally do not want the bumper (front and rear) removed and for the external of the car to be repainted as it will then never match.

Same on mine, I will leave it until after the winter, admittedly mine came off when pressure washing and its barely noticeable, if it becomes visible on the outside of the panel then it will be an issue, as it is I can agree with Audi to a degree, you can wipe the paint off quite easily, poor QC though as it could be done at source and prevent this becoming an issue.

Reactions: Toonsoldier91 and JRO
That is the concern I have, will it continue to peal, agree with the QC, on a car costing in excess of £50k shouldn't be happening. That said, cant fault the car at all.

I've had a few niggles but nothing major, the winter roads with salt and grit will take there toll on the paint, as the paint came off very easily I suspect it is over spray and there will be little or no primer underneath, the surfaces exposed to the elements should fair better, we will see.

I reversed into a brick wall at work yesterday, I've been reversing into 'my' spot for 4 years but yesterday the wall was somehow 3 foot further forward than normal and I now have a scuff right in the middle of the bumper, fortunately I think I have got away with anything major.

Nothing worse than that first incident, I feel your pain, I previously ran an A7 and the wife kerbed the front and rear wheel within 5 days, needless to say that was the last time she ever drove my car again.

I have to say, I think I’d agree with Audi. Inside the wheel arch can’t really count. Certainly not grounds for rejecting a car.

Just received a call from garage, Audi are not agreeing its an issue, they claim it is paint over spray, fortunately the local garage disagree and will contact me tomorrow with a resolution. Personally do not want the bumper (front and rear) removed and for the external of the car to be repainted as it will then never match.
Sorry but did I miss something, are you referring to the inside of the rear valance, if so how will you see any mismatch? They only need to paint the inside surely. It is plastic as well isn't it, so no risk of corrosion. I can't see mine, had mudflaps fitted asap..

Sorry but did I miss something, are you referring to the inside of the rear valance, if so how will you see any mismatch? They only need to paint the inside surely. It is plastic as well isn't it, so no risk of corrosion. I can't see mine, had mudflaps fitted asap..

No, this is the bottom side of the inside of the wheel arch, it is painted and agreed with the local Audi dealership that it this inst repaired it will continue to flake to the outside of the car, am awaiting a agreement on how they can repair. The dealership agrees that it isnt acceptable, it is clearly visible too.

I have to say, I think I’d agree with Audi. Inside the wheel arch can’t really count. Certainly not grounds for rejecting a car.

If the paint continues to flake, this will impact the bumper both front and rear, on a car which is 3 months old you shouldn't expect paint to be flaking off, fortunately the local Audi Dealership agrees, this is far from standard.