S3 8l high egts HELP!!

enversalih

Reaction score
Hi all
Basically having a problem with my egt's
I originally mapped the car and pistons detted so I brought another engine Amk and rebuilt it with rods I put a AGU head 3 inch exhaust and front mount. was going big turbo but priorities are somewhere else now.
So I went to map the car with stock turbo and injectors and wasn' making power turbo was struggling and injectors maxed out.

EGT was over 1000

So I came back changed both brand new turbo ko4 and put 550cc injectors and I'm still getting the same problem! There hitting 920!
I Also changed the sensor and nothing.

What are safe egts for the s3 with a map.
I currently have a map on but cant put my foot down as it gets too 920 is that safe !??? Have a afr gauge boost gauge and everything is fine. Boost is also low 18psi

Any ideas as to what it could be!??

Depends... 920 is where EGT protection kicks in... not unusual for them to hit that once tuned... what are your AFR's?

Was the map adjusted to take 550cc injectors?

When you fitted the AGU head did you refurb it?

Bare in mind that the probe is measuring at the hotside and EGT's will be higher there anyway but have not seen over 1000 on the dyno unless there is an issue somewhere...

If you have a CAT I'd check its not shrunk and turned around causing a blockage

<tuffty/>

even with standard map the egt sky rockets to 920c in second gear. When afr set to run 11.8 exactly same thing happends

And yeah car is mapped to take the 550cc i also put a dw65 pump in to

11.8 is a bit rich...

920 is fairly normal tbh... I am sure Bill will pitch in here as he has seen far more of these than I have but generally see K04's regularly go to mid 900's

You still using the OE manifold? that will back things up a bit...

<tuffty/>

I put AGU head are agu cams and bam cams the same? Could that potentially cause high egts?

Yeah still using oe manifold

even with standard map the egt sky rockets to 920c in second gear. When afr set to run 11.8 exactly same thing happends
std map I would fully expect egt's to do that.. factory only run 0.95 lambda
Do you log ecu plus confirm with external afr gauge to see if lambda request and actual is doing.

I have a external afr gauge so know what it' reading.

These temps are happening on like 1 or 2 pulls let alone driving the car all the time

So could that cause high egts?

920 is not high dude... not for a K04...

...and don't know for sure... I have seen EGT's go up when people have fitted large port heads and not changed the valve springs... high back pressures force the weaker springs open on exhausts but you see torque drop off and timing pull IIRC...

AGU's are old and the valves springs can go weak... if you have done nothing more than 'drop' the head on (I assume you changed to the VVT tensioner) then its possible that EGT's could be rising artificially due to that

Difficult one to quantify with out seeing the data

<tuffty/>

Just fitted a agu head to my car : ( this is what iv to look forward to : ( same mods as above : (

k04 cars have 1mm shims under the exhaust valves to increase their seat pressure. K04 cars have high back pressure, higher than k03 cars, so factory added these. Now just slapping on an even older head, agu for example, you now dont have as strong an exhaust valve spring seat pressure. Not saying this is the problem, but I have seen this, and its problems were high egt's, adding timing added no torque, and top end flow on its k04 hybrid it misfired and broke up.

@badger5 would putting in a aum cam on inlet help ?
Only to get the correct angle on the centre lobe for valve clearance when VVT is in use

The issue is with the exhaust side and weak valve springs that are overcome by back pressure

<tuffty/>

Could it happen if the cam sensor is agu

AGU comes with a multi window trigger wheel iirc... and has nothing to do with your issue anyway...

You should get fault codes with the wrong trigger wheel anyway... ECU would get upset not knowing where the setpoint for the VVT is

<tuffty/>