Awful knocking from front of car - ideas?

monkeytrousers

Reaction score
Hi,

Oh well, after a long time with nothing going wrong, something's up.

Moving slowly off the driveway and suddenly there's a bang from under the front of the car. Felt it vibrate through the clutch pedal and steering wheel. Move a few yards and it does it again, although the strength of the knock varies. Seems to be linked to steering although not necessarily. It sounds like someone banging a drum (OK not THAT loud but very noticeable). Feels like a cable is under pressure somewhere. Also feels like it's slightly to the near side of the front. No way I'm going to drive it until it's looked at.

Waiting for the RAC to diagnose...

In the meantime, any ideas guys .... ?

Cheers

Run the neighbours cat over?

Is it when you're turning the wheel?

Could be a broken spring if so

rodenal said:
Is it when you're turning the wheel?

Could be a broken spring if so

Spot on!

The RAC removed the wheel and sure enough, the spring had broken. Now phoning round for quotes .... My car is 5yrs old / 50k miles - is this reasonable for this to happen?

spring.jpg

Dont suppose its particularly abnormal, one of mines snapped at about 75k, but i had hit my gate not long before it so that kinda aggrivated it.

Remember you need 2 - think mines came to about £70 for the two(a3 tho)

My first quote (for both sides like you say) is £200 + VAT! And they say it will take 10 days to get the parts :-(

Seems a little high .

Say the parts are 70, then 1.5 hours labour at £50/hour should be about 145.

He's only getting 2 tho, and ye whats the 10 days all about lol. GSF almost always have them in stock

I've actually just come off the phone to Amersham Audi for a price for a standard spring in an unrelated incident and they just told me up to 10 working days too.

Tonbridge Audi wanted £465 + the 10 day wait! Surely they made a mistake but I did query it with them and they said it was 4 hours labour + parts.

I may have found an Audi independent prepared to courier the parts from Germany and fit at a fraction of the cost. Will find out on Monday.

Until it's fixed I'm borrowing my mum's Saxo :sob:

Sorry to Hijack the thread but you are getting ripped off big time. 4hrs to change 4 springs?? Sorry but a blind man could do it quicker.

Well here's a story. Just to start off with, Im a carpet fitter not a mechanic.

I got a FULL suspension kit for 220 pounds to lower my car. I fitted it myself using a jack and axle stands and it took me just short of 3hrs. Now if Audi are doing it, it will obviously be a fully qualified mechanic (Probably Polish) and he will have ramps not to mention his colleagues.

Its not exactly rocket science to change suspension. If I were you, I'd go else where or get a mate to do it and give him a hand and that way you can see whats involved so next time you need new suspension you can give it a shot yourself.

I never go to Audi dealers to get anything done. They seem to think they can bump up prices due to the name. Its false econemy.

shawshankuk said:
you are getting ripped off big time.

I'm not getting ripped off because I'm not letting them do it. Should have some positive news on Monday. Cheers.

Sorry Monkey, I meant that the price they are quoting you is a rip off.

Anyway, good luck with getting it sorted. I guess if you not able to attempt it yourself its just a case of phoning round.

Think I have too much time on my hands thats why I opt to do these things myself

:respekt:

Yep, it takes the p*ss. I'm not into doing things like this myself - I don't know one end of a spanner from the other. Thanks for everyone's comments.

I had this on my Golf, Snapped after 55K, I managed to get the spring at cost price, and fitted it in a hour, came to £45 i think. Job done!

my front right spring has done exactly the same, £100 for two springs (Not OEM) because if they snapped after 55k of careful driving then they crap quality in my opinion

will be fitting them this weekend

Get H&R springs (circ £160) and take it Awesome/Dubsport/etc and they throw them on in 2hrs max. Me and my mate fitted springs and dampers in 2hrs on his ramps. Hard it bit is opening the collar on the front hub to drop the damper in.