Google Earth / Maps

Beerzo

Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!
Reaction score
Anyone got any cool stuff to look at on google earth / maps?

Done the obvious ones like Area 51 and Ney York just looking for other cool places in the world.

Looking over central London is pretty cool.

Looked over Wembley and the Emerates Stadiums. They were both still WIP at the point the photos were taken.
Was looking at Faslane Navl Base, (home of the trident nuclear sub fleet).

Anyone else got any cool government places or strange places to look at?

Search for Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona and look a little south-east of there... A rather large aircraft graveyard, pretty interesting. There are loads of these dotted around CA and AZ but this is one of the larger ones...

Regards,

Rob.

Beerzo said:
Whats Flash Earth?
Its abit like google earth and is something to do with nasa,it seems a bit clearer round normal streets,you can even see my old car parked on the drive,pics must be about 2 years old or more as i sold the car a while back !!!

That is well SWEETTTT!!!

Theres load of A-10 Thunder Bolts and Hecules's. I hate seeing planes and stuff like that.

We spoke to a guy at GTi International at the museum there. He was saying that 90% of the aircraft are working and they do run them down the run way and get the front wheel off the ground then pop the parachute and slow them back down to taxi speed. He was saying that they would fly perfectly but there is laws that an aircraft can only have a certain amount of hours flying time on the airframe then it must be scrapped or moth balled. Shame seeing all them just sitting rotting away.

Yeah the Vulcan to the Sky trust with XH558 is at Bruntingthorpe another reason I was gutted I missed out on getting down there last year - the Vulcan is probably my favourite military aircraft (although there are a few fighting for that spot), but if I'm honest I'm more of a civil nut (a few pictures I snapped when my old man and I managed to blag our way airside at Manchester one special day a few years ago (head for the end of the gallery) - http://www.faction-one.co.uk/egcc (Firefox doesn't like it btw)).

Regards,

Rob.

205man said:
gchq in cheltenham, cant miss it big donut shaped building to the south of the town

alan
...And on a similar note then, there's the freakishly large golf-balls at the US listening post at (RAF) Menwith Hill near Harrogate - that one's better on Flash Earth with the Microsoft imaging...

Regards,

Rob.

I havnt got broadband as yet (1st march!) so havnt been on google earth yet.

But what about test-tracks at the audi sites in Germany?

FactionOne said:
Search for Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona and look a little south-east of there... A rather large aircraft graveyard, pretty interesting. There are loads of these dotted around CA and AZ but this is one of the larger ones...

Regards,

Rob.

Breaks my heart seeing all thoses aircraft "parked" up , esp the tomcats/A-10's even old F-111's

You used to be able to see Shaibah Logistic Base and Basra Airstation in southern Iraq, two massive British bases but Google have removed it and replaced it with pictures from the 90's Iraq. You can still see the building that I worked in though, even where we had BBQ's.

I first went out there in 2005 and asked for a map of the base to sort out supply issues, was told I couldnt have one as it was classified stuff and I didnt have clearance, then the same guy who wouldnt give me a map told me to go on Google Earth which I did, minutes later had a crystal clear A3 map of the camp...

Theres a massive base in Qatar used by the US, fcuking huge is an understatement, more planes there than the RAF have, called al-Ideid, looks pretty cool, all the hangers have been designed to be harder to spot by satellites but the immaculate tarmac leading into them kind of gives the game away...