Real snow driving !

MikeParkin

It's my birthday
Reaction score
Well I'm currently in Lapland with the family and its obviously full of snow.

Just wanted to say how funny it is coming here and the bus is driving at 85kph with no issues at all. Just like we would drive in the UK on "normal roads".

I know they have snow tyres and a lot of experience, but its fascinating to see every day life here just carry on with all this snow.

Yet, when we get one inch of snow the whole country s**ts themselves and most don't have a clue how to drive in it.

Crazy

Reactions: batch, azibux1 and jungle650
When we went to Levi all the cars/coaches had studded tyres and as you say,the snow made now difference on how they drive. The other thing I noticed, that most cars were connected to chargers over night to stop the battery freezing .

Reactions: MikeParkin
we also went to Levi in February - fantastic place - as you say it is normal to them but they have the infrastructure and experience to cope with it

Reactions: MikeParkin
When we went to Levi all the cars/coaches had studded tyres and as you say,the snow made now difference on how they drive. The other thing I noticed, that most cars were connected to chargers over night to stop the battery freezing .

Actually those are motor heater and heater for the cabin. Easier for the engine and people getting into the car.
The batteries don't freeze if they are in correct acid level until -50C.
And yes, winter is so normal condition here that it does not cause any problems usually.

This is from February 2012: https://yle.fi/aihe/artikkeli/2012/...larisuma-paakaupunkiseudulla-helmikuussa-2012

And this is from March 2005: https://yle.fi/aihe/artikkeli/2008/03/18/raju-ketjukolari-etela-suomessa-2005

Last edited:
In the accident on 2005 three people died and several tens were taken to hospital.
In the 2012 accident there were over 100 cars in the same pile. Including buses and on army armored personnel vehicle.

I used to be married to a Norwegian. We used to go over to Oslo every other Christmas. Always used to poke fun at us and the country grinding to a halt when snow arrived. We pointed out the obvious reasons but that had no effect on them.

They fit winter tyres by law at the start of November. Then one year, fate decreed that it was a year we were over there, the snow came early in the third week of October. The result, chaos, I mean worse than the UK chaos. We over here have a some idea of how to drive with summer tyres on snow because we have to. They didn't because they didn't.

Strangely it wasn't mentioned again :)

Like many things in life, experience and the right tools can make tasks look deceptively easy and practice makes perfect. So if you get some snow if you can get out on it and practice. If you can find something like a car park to drift in all the better. Back in the day I would fill the car with my kids and their friends and hit the local school car park, about 70 yards square. Squeals of delight! Explore the ability of ABS to keep the car straight. Drive with n/s wheels in the gutter where there is probably more grip. Take the wife, get her to try it out. Most of all, stay safe, don't push beyond your limit when others are around.

Have fun!

Reactions: Nikon and MikeParkin