Buying advice

gazzab247

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to the forum and looking for some advice please.

I am thinking of getting a new car and fancy an A3 but not sure on which one to go for?

Narrowed it down a bit and it’s between 1.8 tfsi or 2.0 tfsi. Also not sure about Quattro? The fuel economy looks really poor on honest John, is this accurate?

Other decision is manual or auto? And is the black edition worth the extra £££?

Will be doing around 6000 miles a year and not really in any bad traffic if that helps and also going to be the sportback model.
Hope you can help me or give me any owners insight into what to look out for.

Thanks!

Hi everyone, new to the forum and looking for some advice please.

I am thinking of getting a new car and fancy an A3 but not sure on which one to go for?

Narrowed it down a bit and it’s between 1.8 tfsi or 2.0 tfsi. Also not sure about Quattro? The fuel economy looks really poor on honest John, is this accurate?

Other decision is manual or auto? And is the black edition worth the extra £££?

Will be doing around 6000 miles a year and not really in any bad traffic if that helps and also going to be the sportback model.
Hope you can help me or give me any owners insight into what to look out for.

Thanks!

Have a look here .( http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-anything-to-look-out-for.353391/ ) and there is plenty morebin other posts .

Thanks although I’m not after an S3. Was really looking for owner advice on the differences between the 1.8 and 2.0 or if it is worth spending more money on a black edition or a quattro.
Thanks though.

Quattro won't really affect fuel economy on the A3 as its not permanent 4WD. Only comes in when it detects.
I average anywhere from 52 to 64 MPG from my 170 TDI with Quattro and running a remap depending on roads and driving style.

Extra grip with Quattro is definitely worth it,just check previous owner had the Haldex serviced properly.

True, was looking at honest John website and on auto trader and they both say it is worse but not much in it.
What about black editions? Any views on if it’s wirth the extra cash? Same with a BOSE system. Seen a few threads which suggest it is not as good as you would think?

Your only talking a thin propshaft a haldex controller/pump and rear differentials in relation to weight. Taking a good dump before u go will balance that out. I wouldn't be without it. The ability to have excellent grip in the wet and snow out weights the added weight. Having 1 passenger in your car will weight 4 times what the quattro system weighs.

In relation to black edition mine is also a black Sline edition so i also have BOSE. I'm not a music type person but even I can tell this system is the best I've ever had in any car. Very loud, clear and excellent quality. Along with factory dipped rear Windows, dark head lining in car, all black exterior etc I have to say I like it and recommend it as I didn't see many original ones around up north.

Drive both if you can, is the obvious but sensible approach. Forums can only tell you so much. I wasn't impressed with the BOSE at all (but others and you may be). I was given a 2.0tfsi quattro (one with the automatic,) for three days by Audi before buying new many years ago and went with neither auto or quattro. The extended time made a real difference to what was worth/ not worth my money. For me. Since then we have done 143k miles with our 2.0tfsi and it proved to be a cracking engine. You may not get that, but if you can, go for it.

Hi @gazzab247 - I initially purchased a 09 1.8 A3 (in Sept 2016) but traded up 3 months later. Take a read of the first 1 or 2 posts in my thread (link in signature below).

Basically, I should have gone straight for the 2.0 if not the S3. Nothing wrong with the 1.8, my one was mint, but I could have spend ‘000’s for less return than a 2.0 or S3. I appreciate some don’t want to modify but I always intended to tinker. In hindsight I should have done more research.

Knowing what I know now - Quattro, DSG, Sportback, Black Edition (and roof rails :redface new:)

Thanks for all the info really appreciate it. Gives me something to think about.

Certainly the 2.0 rather than the 1.8. More popular should you decide to tune it up.
We have the same engine in a fwd TT and it will spin the wheels easily if the road is damp. Also got an S3 which is 4wd and you have got to be giving it a lot more right foot before it loses traction.

Have you completely ruled out a TDI model?

In real world conditions, I prefer the performance of the 170bhp TDI over the TFSI, plus you get none of the oil consumption/reliability issues that can be a problem and much improved economy.

I wouldn’t go for a Quattro or a black edition either way. Would only go Quattro if it was very high performance model, which would be Quattro-only anyway.

I think so but not 100%. I don’t really do enough miles to warrant a diesel. I used to have an e36 2.0 diesel and did love the fuel economy.
Are A3’s fitted with a dpf? If so probably best I avoid them.

They are, but mine has been deleted and correctly remappaed to suit and is running 205bhp and 340lb/ft. Superb everyday performance and 48mpg average

No clutch/fly wheel issues? I’m coming from a 1.8 8th gen civic and the diesel variants suffered from clutch and flywheel issues when mapped.

No, none at all.

If you’re going to launch hard/drive hard through the gears everywhere then they will wear naturally quicker, but that’s the same with every vehicle.

I agree. More for me think about. There are a lot more diesels on the market.

Consider the Government tax increases on diesel, from road tax to diesel fuel price increases to an increase in parking and parking permits (driven by local councils). Nothing makes a diesel attractive to me at the moment unfortunately.

Good points. I’m think a Petrol is better suited to me with the the sort of driving I will be doing. Prefer the refinement of them too.
Just not many black edition’s around so quite limited. Thanks for all the pointers everyone.
One last question, my last 2 cars have been black and I have found them a pain to keep clean/swirl marks etc. Most of these A3’s seem to be black, is the paint work strong on these?

Your only talking a thin propshaft a haldex controller/pump and rear differentials in relation to weight. Taking a good dump before u go will balance that out. I wouldn't be without it. The ability to have excellent grip in the wet and snow out weights the added weight. Having 1 passenger in your car will weight 4 times what the quattro system weighs.

In relation to black edition mine is also a black Sline edition so i also have BOSE. I'm not a music type person but even I can tell this system is the best I've ever had in any car. Very loud, clear and excellent quality. Along with factory dipped rear Windows, dark head lining in car, all black exterior etc I have to say I like it and recommend it as I didn't see many original ones around up north.

I'm going off-topic but I had to quote you, sorry. :p

Quattro weights about 100kg in 8P, so unless you have a 400kg passenger... :D

I do agree Quattro is the way to go though.

Lol no worries. I was just saying I wouldn't be put off because of a little more weight. All cars weigh far more these days that when i bought my first car over 20 odd years ago when they were tin cans :)

I'm going off-topic but I had to quote you, sorry. :p

Quattro weights about 100kg in 8P, so unless you have a 400kg passenger... :D

I do agree Quattro is the way to go though.

Black always takes a little more keeping clean, but haven't struggled with the A3

13573425A31512663853.jpg

Rubbish photo as it just started throwing it down with rain, but you get the idea!

Black always looks good clean. Just a nightmare keeping it that way.

Reactions: Rideen