do i need a new MAF??

campbell

Reaction score
what do you uys and girls think of this...

VAG-COM Version: Release 504.1-UD

Chassis Type: 8L - Audi A3/S3
Scan: 01 02 03 08 15 17 22 35 37 45 54 55 56

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine
Controller: 8N0 906 018 BH
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT 0001
Coding: 10710
Shop #: WSC 13872
WAUZZZ8L031203501 AUZ7Z0B2120910
3 Faults Found:
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-00 - -
16685 - Cylinder 1: Misfire Detected
P0301 - 35-00 - -
16486 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too Low
P0102 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 8N0 907 379 E
Component: ESP 20 CAN V005
Coding: 18448
Shop #: WSC 01236
No fault code found.

Address 08: Auto HVAC
Controller: 8L0 820 043 J
Component: A3 KLIMAAUTOMAT 0105
Coding: 00041
No fault code found.

Skipping Address 15-Airbags

Address 17: Instruments
Controller: 8L0 920 980 R
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. VDO D10
Coding: 01444
Shop #: WSC 00081
WAUZZZ8L031203501 AUZ7Z0B2120910
No fault code found.

Address 22: AWD
Controller: 02D 900 554 C
Component: HALDEX LSC ECC 0010
No fault code found.

Address 35: Centr. Locks
Controller: 8D0 862 257 E
Component: CV-Pump, Alarm, RC D17
Coding: 15210
3 Faults Found:
01367 - Central Locking Pump Run Time Exceeded (Likely Leak)
35-00 - -
01370 - Alarm triggered by Interior Monitoring
35-00 - -
00956 - Key 2
09-00 - Adaptation Limit Surpassed

Address 45: Inter. Monitor
Controller: 4B0 951 173
Component: Innenraumueberw. D03
Coding: 00001
Shop #: WSC 00000
No fault code found.

Address 55: Xenon Range
Controller: 4B0 907 357
Component: LEUCHTWEITEREGLER D004
Coding: 00014
No fault code found.

Address 56: Radio
Controller: 8L0 035 152 B
Component: chorus II GRO 0008
Coding: 00202
1 Fault Found:
00856 - Radio Antenna
36-00 - Open Circuit

End -------------------------------------------------------------------------
do i need a new MAF?i hav e cleaned the old one to no avail, acceleration seams to be intermitent

thanks

split pipe or loose pipe i can almost guarantee :D

i had the exact same engine codes. found it was the inlet manifold intake hose had split.

very weird split as well, it wasnt along the seam of the hose, more cross ways, if you catch my drift.

check for abnormal hissing under the bonnet, you might find its a simple cure.

there is a leak on the central locking system as i can hear a drowning noise when i lock the car.
i cant find any leaks or splits in the pipe i can see and i cant really hear much when the engine is running and the bonnet is open due to the audi S3 sounding like a diesel lol

i have never had a MAF fault brought up, is it best just replacing it anyway?

I would have said MAF to be honest. If it was a split pipe after the MAF then I would have expected to see a fuel trim, system too lean error. As its "signal to low" error I would thought that would indicate an error at the MAF reading.

Ive had both recently, the hose on my intake manifold split and it was giving a "system too lean" error and throwing a CEL. Most recent was the "signal too low" error and that turned out to be my MAF.

But as markyp2002 said, check for split pipes first off. Might save you some cash. :)

Good luck

thanks everyone for the advice, will check again for split pipes etc and then buy a new MAF

cheers

I've heard the Vag-Com doesn't bring up the fault in the MAF even though it's a common problem ?

i have bought the new MAF and will fit it tonight and tell you if the problem is cured

also when i drove the car to audi the other day the engine warning light was on but when i drove away from audi (after they told me the parts department was closed!) the lights disappeared -how strange!
maybe the thought of taking my car into audi scared it !

fitted the new MAF last night and it hasnt solved trhe problem and the engine warning light has come up again!
has anyone got any more ideas what this problem could be?
the hesitation seams to be around 3K and 4K revs. and in third gear it seams like the power is being held back?!

Very supprised that didnt sort it mate. Have you ben able to scan it again? theres also misfires on cylinders which has a good chance to be coilpacks. Let us see what the new scan says if you have one.

Does the car idle ok?

Did you ceck for split pipes etc?

Could there be a split or hole in the TIP????

im guessing that to get this fault (signal to low) the engine must know it is getting more air into the cylinder than the maf recons is being pulled through it. ?? make any sence? am i right? down have an s3

so if a split was in the TIP it would be pulling air in from the wrong side off the maf (unmetered air)

if you wanna check your maf, using vagcom log the measuring block that measured the mass air flow and if it is a nice and smooth plot your maf is ok, also look for readings of around 185 to 190 g/s for a 225 bhp standard s3

just my 2p fella but could be a possibility.

i havent been able to scan the car as of yet, i have checked the TIP pipe and most pipes for splits etc but i didnt see any.

another possibilty... could it be a slighty blocked fuel filter? it seams to be struggling to pull and technically it could be the filter, might be another possibility!?

i should be able to get the car scanned and keep you updated as this is quite a common problem

the car idles fine, its just when you plant your foot to the floor it is hesitant at acceleration and then picks back up its power or sometimes it just accelerates smoothly but feel like the power is being held back.
i have tried playing with the settings on my REVO SPS3 switch but hasnt chnanged anything...

i hope its not the clutch or anything major! as i have been using the search button and read a few horror stories!

found out it wasnt the clutch, put the car back in stock mode and the problem has gone, but it is only doing it when i turn the boost up and there is a need for more fuel and air

anyone got any ideas!???

I'm new to this site (registered tonight) and I have exactly the same problem with my S3/Revo remap. Had a new MAF fitted and that hasn't cured it.

Only does it in 3rd gear !

Been suggested it might be the hose at the front of the engine on the driver's side but can't hear any hissing or see a split or getting any fault codes coming up?