How long...

Hal Adams

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
...can you go with the car locked with alarm on before the battery is flat?

I went away and left the car for nine days and the battery was low - it allowed me to unlock the car, but not enough to start the car - would this be regarded as normal do you think?

They do say extreme cold temperatures that we have been experiencing lately especially at night will definitely have an effect on a weak battery, just my thoughts on this.

Left my car 3 weeks whilst I was on holiday and no issues at all starting it up.

I know guys that work a month on month off abroad and they leave their cars in the work car park without any issues.

9 days seems very low.

Edit, what do you mean by alarm on? Alarm would always be on surely or are you asking how long does the alarm constantly sound for before draining the battery? If so, absolutely no idea.

Reactions: Ozmosis
Left my car 3 weeks whilst I was on holiday and no issues at all starting it up.

I know guys that work a month on month off abroad and they leave their cars in the work car park without any issues.

9 days seems very low.

Edit, what do you mean by alarm on? Alarm would always be on surely or are you asking how long does the alarm constantly sound for before draining the battery? If so, absolutely no idea.

I do exactly this, work 4 on 4 off at the minute, never had issues with flat battery so far.

How long do you drive the car after each start generally?

Reactions: AudiNutta
Nothing plugged in, and the car gets a good airing, enough to keep the battery well charged. By alarm 'on' I mean it is triggered to activate as opposed to setting it to pet mode.

I would have thought a month would be the least, but before I take it in, just wanted to make sure it was not a quirk of the RS3 by asking what is normally achieved.

Know someone who has an 18 month old S8, left it a week, battery dead as a dodo. Terrible if you ask me and surely not right.

There is something drawing power in it when it shouldn't be. Should be pretty easy for the dealer to isolate the culprit.

Booked in after lunch Monday...

Reactions: AudiNutta
No that’s def not right . A battery in good condition should last a month at least , the temperature will impact that of course but over time , not just with one or two days below zero . The battery is faulty or as E diesel points out something is not shutting down and is drawing power. Both are easy to check by your dealer. Good luck keep us posted.

...can you go with the car locked with alarm on before the battery is flat?

I went away and left the car for nine days and the battery was low - it allowed me to unlock the car, but not enough to start the car - would this be regarded as normal do you think?

I'd take it back to the Dealer. I just left my S3 in the garage, locked and alarmed for 5 weeks. Started up straight away, no problem.

Do you have a dashcam or anything else hardwired in the car. If so , are they powered by a separate battery or pass through battery? If not, then it might those items that are draining power. When i had dashcams installed i had all manner of battery related issues. Batteries in both Audis and the s3 has been fine for over a year, rs3 fine from new, peugeot had a drain issue but doesnt have a battery so ive switched off parking mode for now

maybe next time get a ctek charger and leave it on charge

Well, I have to commend Audi all the way. They booked and took the car in quickly, kept it for an hour and came back apologising that they believe there might be a weak cell in the battery and it is not shoving out full power. Tested everything a ok, replaced the battery without quibble, gave me a new dumf gheko air freshener and bade me good bye!

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and D0C