Gave in and bought an RNS-E !

Irish

Reaction score
Bought one on ebay last night from Topsatnav.

The unit looks brand new and comes with all the bits.

Anyone know if I just have to take out my CD based sat nav unit and slot in the new one and away it goes seeing as my car came with the older sat nav factory fitted?

Irish said:

Anyone know if I just have to take out my CD based sat nav unit and slot in the new one and away it goes seeing as my car came with the older sat nav factory fitted?

excuse my ignorance but whats one of them ?

When you say "old satnav fitted", you mean the CD-based one with the smaller, red screen? I've got a feeling I read somewhere that this was a bit of a pain to convert to the RNS-E and wasn't a straight swap out.

Ah noooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Yes the older unit with the smaller red screen but on a 07 S3.

Best check out the nav forum.

Pleased to read that topsatnav (from eBay) got some more business. I bought my RNS-E from Paul, met him in person to pay and collect and have never had any problems at all. Top bloke.

Not sure about the CD-based sat nav either, except that if you wanted to remove all trace of it you will need at the very least to buy the 12V connector to replace the small buttons in the centre console.

But as arthurfuxake says, navplus is easily the best resource.

benw123 said:
you will need at the very least to buy the 12V connector to replace the small buttons in the centre console.

Can you explain this a bit more if you have time, I don't understand what buttons need replacing?

This is what comes with the unit I bought...

AUDI NAVIGATION PLUS RNS-E DVD UNIT
- SECURITY CODE
- BRAND NEW GPS ACTIVE ANTENNA
- NEW PLUG & PLAY ADAPTER
- NEW FAKRA RADIO AERIAL ADAPTER
- RNS-E MANUAL AND INSTALLATION GUIDE ON CD

Irish said:
Can you explain this a bit more if you have time, I don't understand what buttons need replacing?

I think the pre 07MY CD based nav was separate unit in the boot, with controls near the handbrake and infomation displayed in DIS, but the 07MY CD nav is much the same as RNS-E, i.e. it just a different headunit no boot unit and no additional controls.

So it might be a simple change after all.

Chris.

Oh yeh, no mine is in the dash just like an RNS. My CD changer is in the glovebox that's it.

Yeah there was an older system which had a the knob by the handbrake where the lighter/power socket is but this didn't have any special type of head unit I don't think, was just the standard Concert-type affair. The newer one that Irish obviously has is called the "BNS" I think and is sometimes referred to as "RNS-E Low". This version has a custom head unit with a red monochrome screen which is larger than the standard head units but smaller than the RNS-E. You see it in a lot of the new TTs:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9517/auditt15w2xn.jpg

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2163522590090971699CsNUjB

Here's my interior just to avoid any confusion.

2007_0106_151016.jpg

Should just be a straight swap I think. Not sure if any recoding is required via Vag-com though. But that again is a simple enough job.

Irish said:

You almost had to battle with me over that unit. I was close to upping the price. Let us know how you get on.

Chins said:
You almost had to battle with me over that unit. I was close to upping the price. Let us know how you get on.

You little !! ;-)

It was plain sailing til 5 mins before and then BANG the trading started!!!

I actually hit the wrong amount on my last attempt and had to delete it and I thought I was gonna lose out then but my fingers are obviously quicker than I thought!

Hoping to get the unit today or tomorrow and fit it over the weekend.

Audi dealer said they would take out my old unit once I brought log book and drivers licence!

what are u going to do with your old unit? does it have the SD cards slots etc?

Doesn't have slots but it does play MP3s on CDs.

It is still a €1600 (IIRC) option..

Would you be interested in it?

not at that price!! was half thinking of it but prob better for you to hold on to it as a back up rather than sell it on for a pittance..

Well obviously I wouldn't want that much for it !!

I dunno how much it would be worth, prob better to put it in the car and sell it on as the RNS E will be worth more alone. when I do change the car.

I'd say thats the best bet, with the price you can buy the RNS-E for you would be doing well to get anything for the original one..

dm_irish said:
I'd say thats the best bet, with the price you can buy the RNS-E for you would be doing well to get anything for the original one..
Good point. I sold my Symphony II after installing the RNS-E, and while I got £67 for it on eBay, obviously unless I get another unit the RNS-E will have to be sold with the car if I want to get rid of it.

you will need VAG.COM because your need to tell the RNS-E what wheel and tyre size you have.
You also need to program the blue tooth phone prep module and DIS to say you have a RNS-E now.

If you dont have a phone prep then you dont need to do the phone bit.

But I brought a RNS-E from TOPSATNAV and needed to program the unit for wheel size because the speed was wrong.
You need to add 4 to the DIS value so that it comes up on the DIS when driving..
The MFSW now controls the phone via bluetooth and shows up on the DIS and phone screen within RNS-E. This needed to be programmed using the VAG COM as well

Also the RNS-E had errors on the system which I cleared off after installing the system

You can find out alittle about where the unit came from as well

beerglass said:
you will need VAG.COM because your need to tell the RNS-E what wheel and tyre size you have.
You also need to program the blue tooth phone prep module and DIS to say you have a RNS-E now.
I was advised by Craigyb before my install that on the A3 8P, DIS automatically works with the RNS-E without any coding. And sure enough, it does - are you talking about the A4 or A6, or do you mean coding for Bluetooth only?

yes that was on my A4

The A3 doesnt need doing then ?

beerglass said:
yes that was on my A4

The A3 doesnt need doing then ?
No. If you install an RNS-E into an A3 8P and you have DIS, the RNS-E will automatically start using DIS without any VAGCOM coding.

However, as you rightly pointed out, you will still need VAGCOM to clear any errors and tell the car it has nav plus installed. Still need to get mine done actually ... :whistle2:

Well guys the unit arrived from Topsatnav and it is perfect. It was packaged so well and the guy even included removal keys!!!

On a negative AND ITS A DIFFERENT EBAYER, I had to buy the DVD off someone else as it wasn't included and although thr guy had down DVD in the ad it's actually the CD for the unit I already have so I now have two copies of the sat nav CD and no DVD.

I've emailed the guy and asked him about it and I'll see what he says before I leave feedback.

Cheers for the tips on the VAG com.

Irish said:
Well guys the unit arrived from Topsatnav and it is perfect. It was packaged so well and the guy even included removal keys!!!
Pleased to read that. Topsatnav is rapidly gaining a top reputation on this forum - other potential RNS-E retrofitters take note!

Check out the TMC update threads on TSN, someone whose had the free upgrade but didn't have to surrender their discs may have an older disc they could flog you on the cheap. If you're really lucky you could then try your luck at using that to get your own free upgrade to the 2007 discs :)

I have the 2007 disc on the way to me from a very kind Audi Sport member !

Took all of 5 mins to install but that's because the only thing I needed to change was the actual unit, everything else was there.

Waiting on the 2007 DVD map and away I'll go. Far better unit than the RNS - D but why Audi charge €3,500 for it is beyond me.

277319599a3779726385b949013817l.jpg

277319599a3779726513b106673565l.jpg

Just stunning! Does it work just as well as those other navigation systems out there like TomTom & Garmin Nuvi?

Also, does it automatically detect speed cameras at all? Does it have all the maps of europe too?

The more recent updates of the maps are pretty good but the Tom Toms etc are probably still better but for an OEM look it's the only way.

It doesn't automatically detect speed cameras no and you can load most of Western Europe into it yes.

Aha I see. Still a fantastic piece of kit!

Can you watch films on it? Have you tried it out yet?

Irish said:
The more recent updates of the maps are pretty good but the Tom Toms etc are probably still better but for an OEM look it's the only way.

It doesn't automatically detect speed cameras no and you can load most of Western Europe into it yes.
There was a debate on this forum a while about TT vs RNS-E, but there's little in it.

The main, most important advantage of the RNS-E is that it's less likely to be nicked; TomToms and other mobile GPS devices are being stolen in frightening numbers, while the RNS-E is shaped according to the car (either A3, A4 or A6) and with the four-digit security code is less likely to be a target. Plus it's the perfect OE look.

The RNS-E uses a DVD to read its address information, which means you have the whole of Europe at street level (huge advantage if you drive abroad), and the screen flips down to reveal two SD card slots to store and play MP3s - two more big pluses. And yes, you can watch TV or DVDs on it, but you need an extra adapter (called a Dietz 1417) to do this. It also has Bluetooth capability.

It's a cracking piece of kit in my opinion. True, it doesn't have speed camera info and can't be edited, but for around £400 retrofitted - which you'd probably recoup come trade-in - it's still great value for money.

Hi.... Thinking of getting my RNS-E sorted out with TV/DVD, there is a seller on ebay selling the DIETZ 1451 with the wiring harness he says this works 100% with the RNS-E , Just need to plug a Tuner or DVD Player to it then.... Any body know if this is correct ????

Cheers

cliveywolves said:
Hi.... Thinking of getting my RNS-E sorted out with TV/DVD, there is a seller on ebay selling the DIETZ 1451 with the wiring harness he says this works 100% with the RNS-E , Just need to plug a Tuner or DVD Player to it then.... Any body know if this is correct ????

Cheers
Put a post on to navplus - they'll be able to tell you straightaway if it's any good.

Retrofitting is trully a temptation. I'll be glad to give 750-1000 euros for a RNS-E, it's a more realistic price than 3000 euros... The only question for me is the use of vag, erasing the errors and introducing wheel size, etc. I have been searching here and in navplus and it still lacks a fully detailed topic with the installation. Some of us have bose, others don't, or BT, and it seems to change a little. I'm dumb, I need everything step by step:)
I just want what everybody wants, to install it without problems... After the arrival of the S3 in may, and when these things are sort out, maybe then I become a potencial buyer. If you know good sellers of RNS-E, feel free to advise us!
Being in portugal, things can't fail...

José said:
Retrofitting is trully a temptation. I'll be glad to give 750-1000 euros for a RNS-E, it's a more realistic price than 3000 euros... The only question for me is the use of vag, erasing the errors and introducing wheel size, etc. I have been searching here and in navplus and it still lacks a fully detailed topic with the installation. Some of us have bose, others don't, or BT, and it seems to change a little. I'm dumb, I need everything step by step:)
I just want what everybody wants, to install it without problems... After the arrival of the S3 in may, and when these things are sort out, maybe then I become a potencial buyer. If you know good sellers of RNS-E, feel free to advise us!
Being in portugal, things can't fail...
True, you will need to use VAGCOM at some stage to tell your S3 that it has sat nav. However, I haven't had mine done yet, because the 8P install is probably the easiest of all - the unit will simply work once you've hooked everything up.

On eBay, Topsatnav is a good seller - three of us have bought from him with no problems.