MPG?

Spinstorm

Reaction score
So I was looking at MPG for my S3 - it "apparently" has 55mpg combined and 34mpg on urban roads.
  • Fuel consumption, mpg* (Urban)34.0
  • Fuel consumption, mpg* (Extra Urban)51.4
  • Fuel consumption, mpg* (Combined)43.5
I get 34 on a motorway cruising - and in London even in comfort I am looking average in 6 months is 28Mpg.

The RS3 apparently has:
  • Fuel consumption, mpg* (Urban)24.8
  • Fuel consumption, mpg* (Extra Urban)42.8
  • Fuel consumption, mpg* (Combined)33.6
What is the actual efficiency? What are you guys getting?

14 mpg.

I drive like an idiot though just for the thump of the gearshift. It seems though most of my miles have been in S2 or S3.

I need to sort myself out before too much longer.

Reactions: Terminator x, Jonny B and ChrisRS3
At 1500 miles now and my long term average is about 22mpg, almost exactly the same as my S3 at the same mileage. S3 improved after 2500 miles, and again at 5000. Hoping the RS will do the same but won't lose any sleep if it doesn't. On a steady motorway run it will do over 35mpg, spirited driving gives about 15. It's really thirsty from cold though, especially this time of year. I'm lucky to see 20mpg on 5 mile trip to and from work, even in light traffic.

Teens when hooning it like evil diesel says, 20/25mpg 20mile round trip from Essex to London and seen 35mpg on a 180mile run. Wouldn’t know how accurate the onboard DIS is but anything from 200-300 miles out of a tank is about right.

Over 10k miles done and according to the trip computer I am averaging 26.0mpg. Easy to get 30+ on a run. Got to be really caning it to get into the teens.

Over 10k miles done and according to the trip computer I am averaging 26.0mpg. Easy to get 30+ on a run. Got to be really caning it to get into the teens.
Easy to do lots of redlining fast spirited driving plus launch starts, easy done mate and a lot of fun to.

I get well over 30mpg on a regular basis and it seems to be getting better. Sad to be selling. On Pistonheads now.

Gutted I bet mate but good luck with the sale.

Seen a few promo videos now for the 4 my god do AUDI know how to make a good looking estate. The interior looked sublime with those fantastic looking sport bucket seats. Not bothered with all that virtual dash stuff and assistant techie things. My only gripe was the sound from the exhausts now I understand that Audi are kerbing the pops bangs crackles burbles for noise regs but to me it’s nice to know you have it if you want to do some spirited driving. Anyway looks great goes like stink enjoy mate

Reactions: RGBARGEE
I’ve calculated my real MPG based on filling the tank every fill-up in December. Results were:
37.7mpg, 30.0mpg, 25.1mpg, 31.2mpg, 25.6mpg, 23.9mpg (UK mpg)

Bigger numbers are long-distance motorway cruising, others are more mixed driving.

So actually the economy of the RS3 seems to be in the real world the same as the S3 based on my real world mpg and all of you guys...?

You have an extra cylinder to feed fuel to.

Reactions: AudiNutta
14 mpg.

I drive like an idiot though just for the thump of the gearshift. It seems though most of my miles have been in S2 or S3.

I need to sort myself out before too much longer.
Same here Evil.. I can’t help myself . I keep thinking I will grow up but I actually think I’m getting worse with age. MPG no clue ..don’t think I want to know...having to much fun..

Reactions: AudiNutta and DW81
I don’t feel like 3-5 MPG is that much of a difference - I was expecting a lot worse off.

And the numbers that I’ve been told match how I drive my S3 right now

I don’t feel like 3-5 MPG is that much of a difference - I was expecting a lot worse off.

And the numbers that I’ve been told match how I drive my S3 right now

I’ve never seen any worse than 19mpg calculated in any of the RS3’s I’ve driven and I’ve driven 2 demo’s before mine, one for 200 miles and one for 450 miles.

My average across 2200 miles on my fuel app is 25mpg, best I’ve seen is 35mpg (I will express calculated because it’s brilliant) on a 70mph motorway run, 20-21mpg around town for a full tank putting my foot down and finally my usual tank which is with a mixture of short motorway drives and town driving returns around 26mpg.

In the summer when I can drop all 4 windows without getting drenched, this will drop considerably just like it did in the S3.

Tank range will comfortably see 350 miles on a gentle tank, 300 miles with mixed driving and 240 miles if you’re booting it regularly. Which all of these are around 30 miles worse off than when compared to the same conditions in the S3.

I’ve never seen any worse than 19mpg calculated in any of the RS3’s I’ve driven and I’ve driven 2 demo’s before mine, one for 200 miles and one for 450 miles.

Only proves my point in another post - you are unable/afraid to drive the car to its limit if you cannot return less than 19....

To much worrying on here about mpg. IF mpg is your thing buy a Prius

Reactions: Rs1, Phil3, T-800 and 2 others
350 miles from a gentle tank.....wtf

240 miles when booting it regularly....

I must be really really booting it then, a week in Wales and several trips to the fun station

Reactions: teslaboy, Jonny B and DW81
Only proves my point in another post - you are unable/afraid to drive the car to its limit if you cannot return less than 19....

haha wow... what a pathetic statement :tearsofjoy:

My average across 2200 miles on my fuel app is 25mpg, best I’ve seen is 35mpg (I will express calculated because it’s brilliant) on a 70mph motorway run, 20-21mpg around town for a full tank putting my foot down and finally my usual tank which is with a mixture of short motorway drives and town driving returns around 26mpg.

In the summer when I can drop all 4 windows without getting drenched, this will drop considerably just like it did in the S3.

Tank range will comfortably see 350 miles on a gentle tank, 300 miles with mixed driving and 240 miles if you’re booting it regularly. Which all of these are around 30 miles worse off than when compared to the same conditions in the S3.

I don’t even get those figures from a golf gti pp I average 280 miles to a tank 400 if rly gentle driving or as last week 180

I did go from Wakefield to Brid and back to wakefield in 2hrs 20 mins though with a 15 min stop off on xmas eve 71 mile each way

Reactions: T-800
It’s not a badge of honour to drive like a fool. A lot of fun can be had in these vehicles without getting anywhere near the limits and it’s quite possible to burn through a lot of fuel well within those limits. Just my opinion of course but to direct this comment to one of the most enthusiastic and respectful members on here seems a bit odd.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Terminator x, Phil3 and 1 other person
Depends how you look at it. I use my car for mostly social and occasionally for work reasons as I commute by tube. So I’m not bothered by fuel consumption, however if it was used 100% of the time for commuting to work and social activities then I probably take a slight interest in the mpg side of things. Like I’ve said before if I was constantly worrying about mpg fuel costs how many times I have to fill up then blah blah blah then I would have looked at alternate cars. This is solely my opinion.

Reactions: T-800
The RS3 is a sports car you can drive every day. And I do. That is my perspective.

Reactions: ChrisRS3, AudiNutta and DW81
Average of 26mpg for me over 40k miles which is not too shabby imho. Previous car was a BMW 130i which also achieved 26mpg.

Not really a fuel efficient car so to be expected I'd say.

TX.

Edit - mine measured from from petrol receipts not using the car stats.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Beebee-one, T-800 and DW81

Dropping the windows is savage in the Summer, you will enjoy it ;)

TX.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Adi7r and DW81
I dint get the MPG thing with RS owners, i drive an A7 with 300bhp and it weighs 2 tonnes and averages about 35mpg...i had a boxster before this and averaged 25.5mpg over 4500miles and it was a boring as hell 25.5mpg and 4500miles as it was my daily commute.

I sold it due to the fact the Mpg wasnt good enough for my commute each day i was sat in traffic one day thinking why am i driving a porsche but trying to eck out good Mpg???

If i had an RS3 and yes i have considered the RS3 saloon as it looks and sounds amazing i would try my hardest to ignore the mpg and just enjoy the sound.

So my take is if you want a fast ish!!! Good Mpg buy a 3 litre Audi diesel map it and enjoy, or if you want fantastic sound pops crackles bangs and laugh out loud fun buy an RS and budget an extra what??? £15 a week on fuel...

And yes if i could afford to run an RS3 saloon as a daily i'd have one in a second and this comes from a 10year + diesel driver ( apart from my 6 month porsche midlife crisis moment )

Reactions: Terminator x, DW81 and Jonny B
Average of 26mpg for me over 40k miles which is not too shabby imho. Previous car was a BMW 130i which also achieved 26mpg.

Not really a fuel efficient car so to be expected I'd say.

TX.

Edit - mine measured from from petrol receipts not using the car stats.

Ditto. I am averaging exactly 26mpg and I would say I am your average joe, mixed roads and driving style.

Reactions: Terminator x
I've only done 1k miles in mine but get 30mpg on motorway, 20 round town and mid teens when hooning about.

I got into my RS3 after 14yrs in diesel and love it. I don't worry about the mpg, the noise, fast warmup and no DPF regens make it worth the costs all day long. Every drive is an event and makes me grin which is just what I want from a car.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DW81 and Terminator x
77mpg

780 miles from a tank

781 if I drive it gentle like.

Reactions: DW81 and teslaboy

I think you have taken my honest postings quite personally, I’ve little to say to this comment other than absolute nonsense. Perhaps I’m driving that little bit more safely then you, who must be an absolute lunatic behind the wheel.

Enjoy driving hoops around me, I much appreciate your opinion.

350 miles from a gentle tank.....wtf

240 miles when booting it regularly....

I must be really really booting it then, a week in Wales and several trips to the fun station

I’ve had the opportunity to have a few long trips in the car leading to this. By the 240 miles I mean ‘normal’ ‘quick’ driving, I’ve yet to put the car on a good road and drive with much enthusiasm.

It’s not a badge of honour to drive like a fool. A lot of fun can be had in these vehicles without getting anywhere near the limits and it’s quite possible to burn through a lot of fuel well within those limits. Just my opinion of course but to direct this comment to one of the most enthusiastic and respectful members on here seems a bit odd.

Thank you, the latter part of your comment means a lot.

I don’t see what I’ve done to rock the boat, as you’ve said I’m always respectful but somebody asked for an opinion and I gave one from a concerned/sensible POV. Oh well, I have to say I’ve spent little time on the forum lately and every time I’ve revisited it’s made me want to spend a little longer off of it, maybe I’ve upset this community too much now to be able to post.

Reactions: Adi7r and Jonny B
Regards to the ‘dont talk MPG if you have an RS3’ posts, the OP asked a question and we replied with accurate tested information, more accurate than you’d ever find on any review.

I really don’t see the bad side of this, looking at the MPG makes me realise just how ****** good this car can be inndifferent environments.

Yours,
Greenpeace’s RS3 Test Pilot.

Reactions: T-800 and Jonny B