Headlight washer cap

Callum4545

Reaction score
Hi guys, wanting to remove the headlight washer cap from my bumper to get it painted, can it be popped off or does it need the bumper to be removed to remove? Thanks

If it is the passenger side you stand a better chance of getting it off with the bumper in place by removing the relevant lower wheel arch liner. You would need long arms though.
It is operated by water pressure and so must return using a spring of some type.
So how about operating it and grabbing the stalk whilst it is sticking out. Not the cap in case you snap it off!! So you might get a bit wet but then you should be able to see how to unclip. Let it go back down after unclipping. Do the reverse after painting.

So how about operating it and grabbing the stalk whilst it is sticking out. Not the cap in case you snap it off!! So you might get a bit wet but then you should be able to see how to unclip. Let it go back down after unclipping. Do the reverse after painting.
Sorry but I ****** myself laughing at this one, reminds me of the old 'whack a mole' computer game.

Sorry but I ****** myself laughing at this one, reminds me of the old 'whack a mole' computer game.

There seems to be very little info available but I did see one video showing someone slipping something like a knife underneath where the cap sat on the bumper of an old A4 and lifting it up. However this cannot be done with the OP’s car as the caps sit flush. Nothing to lose with my “method” as the stalk is just operated by water pressure.
As you say though, this could be quite humorous to watch!

For the time it takes to take bumper off would that not be the most sensible think to do and that way you get to paint the part better