Guard X Any Good or Avoid?

Guard X

• Total voters

SimonAshley

Reaction score
Hi all,

As per the title really...

I have ordered a new A5 Sportback and my Audi dealer recommended Guard X paint protection.
https://www.gardx.co.uk
Having never ordered a new car before I said ok, especially as he added £600 to deposit so it is basically free.

Now I have been reading through posts and it seems like all dealer applied paint protection is best avoided?

I purchased an approved used before that had Autoglym version applied and always came up so good after a quick wash...

So do I let them do it or not?

Cheers!

Reactions: Jassyo06
As you've read the dealer products aren't worth the money. The money is better spent getting a proper detail done. Loads of threads about this on the forum and the conclusion is always the same, don't bother.

Hi all,

I have ordered a new A5 Sportback and my Audi dealer recommended Guard X paint protection.
Having never ordered a new car before I said ok, especially as he added £600 to deposit so it is basically free.

Now I have been reading through posts and it seems like all dealer applied paint protection is best avoided?

I purchased an approved used before that had Autoglym version applied and always came up so good after a quick wash...

Cheers!
If your not paying for it, l can't see any reason why not mate, the guard ☓ interior protection is really good

A detailer will charge £600 plus for a detail

Excellent info on here but you will get further info on
www.detailingworld.co.uk
Its not popular as the dealers cleaners are not given the time to fully clean and decontaminate the paint before applying it .
You could always get some stuff and do it yourself , its addictive and costs £££££ but as on here discounts can be applied .

I'd put the money towards a detail by an independent person - not the dealer. That said, I've no first hand experience with the Guard X products, but ceramic seems to be the go to product ATM.

Hi all,

Cheers!
First off nothing is ever free mate, if he can give you an extra £600 off saying the Guard X is free, then he can give you £600 off the car and not give you the Guard X!!! Personally I'd ask for the £600 to be taken off the car and do it myself. I can't remember if it was on here or somewhere else, but I recall someone saying they only do the top of the doors, wings etc so that when it rains it looks good!

I collected the A5 coupe in October and told them not to even wash it, I just asked for the protective sticky to be taken off. When they washed my S3 for collection they scratched it!!! Any product put on a car is only as good as the person putting it on!

Did you get a good discount on the A5? it's there to be had!

PS: Be prepared for them to try and sell you all the other bits as well, asset protection (GAP), alloy cover, tyre cover, paint and dent cover...before you know it that's another £1,500 Their GAP is about £500, you can get it yourself for about £200.

Reactions: NevMan
First off nothing is ever free mate, if he can give you an extra £600 off saying the Guard X is free, then he can give you £600 off the car and not give you the Guard X!!! Personally I'd ask for the £600 to be taken off the car and do it myself. I can't remember if it was on here or somewhere else, but I recall someone saying they only do the top of the doors, wings etc so that when it rains it looks good!

I collected the A5 coupe in October and told them not to even wash it, I just asked for the protective sticky to be taken off. When they washed my S3 for collection they scratched it!!! Any product put on a car is only as good as the person putting it on!

Did you get a good discount on the A5? it's there to be had!

PS: Be prepared for them to try and sell you all the other bits as well, asset protection (GAP), alloy cover, tyre cover, paint and dent cover...before you know it that's another £1,500 Their GAP is about £500, you can get it yourself for about £200.

The car is on order and the £600 is agreed in the deposit so I know it can't be taken off the deal now.
And yes I got a much bigger discount than £600 nearly £8k off the price!

I am tempted to ask them just to take the plastic off also! Been reading more and too many horror stories, going for Scuba blue so if it gets swirls or scratches it will be really obvious.

Still think I'll pay someone to detail and protect the paint for me as I do lack patients for that kind of thing.

@SimonAshley - Don't let the supplying Dealer apply any sort of 'protection' to your new car. Not only will it be poorly applied but it will be eye wateringingly expensive.
IMHO car Detailing is all about the prep
Either get a Pro-Detailer to do your car or better still do it yourself
NOOOOOOOOOOO !
lol

Reactions: DrEskimo
@SimonAshley - Don't let the supplying Dealer apply any sort of 'protection' to your new car. Not only will it be poorly applied but it will be eye wateringingly expensive.
IMHO car Detailing is all about the prep
Either get a Pro-Detailer to do your car or better still do it yourself

NOOOOOOOOOOO !
lol

Yea couldn't agree more.

Don't bother mate, even for free. Just going to give your detailer a harder job....

Thanks for all your input, have notified the dealer not to apply Guard X.

Anyone on here live near Canterbury, Kent and can recommend any detailers?

And yes I got a much bigger discount than £600 nearly £8k off the price!

I am tempted to ask them just to take the plastic off also! Been reading more and too many horror stories, going for Scuba blue so if it gets swirls or scratches it will be really obvious.
That's good then, sounds like you got about the same as me off 21.4% :)

I would, if they swirl it you will kick yourself.

This was my S3 before and after I treated it for winter swirls last year:

Before:
1-jpg.121972

After:
2-jpg.121973

White is soooo much easier to look after :)

Reactions: SimonAshley
Thanks for all your input, have notified the dealer not to apply Guard X.

Anyone on here live near Canterbury, Kent and can recommend any detailers?

Me! KDS Keltec in Gillingham. I’ve yet to experience their work first hand but when I was into detailing a couple of years back (****** kids) their reputation/work was second to none.

Shot them an email today to enquire about a full gtechniq protection detail for when my car arrives. I also asked about window tinting as they undertake modding etc.

Also, if you ever require wheel refurb Leepsons are next door and again come highly recommended.

Me! KDS Keltec in Gillingham. I’ve yet to experience their work first hand but when I was into detailing a couple of years back (****** kids) their reputation/work was second to none.

Shot them an email today to enquire about a full gtechniq protection detail for when my car arrives. I also asked about window tinting as they undertake modding etc.

Also, if you ever require wheel refurb Leepsons are next door and again come highly recommended.
Thanks, used Lepsons back when I had my A3 very good work. Never heard of KDS Keltec. Will have a Google!
Have found someone close to me now though The Matt Finish!

Cool. Out of interest have you got a price? For a new car protection detail the KDS website states £545 for a large car for full gtechniq C1 + crystal lacquer followed by 2 coats of EXO V3 and a further £200 for a crystal serum upgrade. No idea what all that means but it sounds awesome!

I’m gonna struggle to justify £745 all in so will most likely go for the less expensive option.

Let us now whoever you go with and how you get on. The Matt Finish are closer to me too.

Yeah East Kent Audi tried that on with me today, needless to say I declined.

Off-topic but let us know how you get on with your collection as well. Are you going for a 1st March midnight thing?

Yeah East Kent Audi tried that on with me today, needless to say I declined.

Off-topic but let us know how you get on with your collection as well. Are you going for a 1st March midnight thing?

First new car I've ordered/ owned the whole GuardX thing was the only cheeky sales ploy East Kent Audi used.
Told me they would quote without it then put it on the quote and told me they increased deposit so it's basically free blah blah blah!

I'm just going to get it when it's here! Got a nice drive down to France planned and I want to drive my new car rather than the wifes golf.

I got a really good deal so hope I can change it in 2 years for an 'S'
Even if it goes to end of PCP price is guaranteed and I look after my car's so not really worried.

France... sounds good, enjoy!

I did the same back in 2011 shortly after I collected my Q5. The new car made the 9 hour journey much more enjoyable.

Cool. Out of interest have you got a price? For a new car protection detail the KDS website states £545 for a large car for full gtechniq C1 + crystal lacquer followed by 2 coats of EXO V3 and a further £200 for a crystal serum upgrade. No idea what all that means but it sounds awesome!

I’m gonna struggle to justify £745 all in so will most likely go for the less expensive option.

Let us now whoever you go with and how you get on. The Matt Finish are closer to me too.

Just been on the phone to Matt
For full car detail and ceramic coatings is £750! Not cheap!
He does offer packages that include high grade waxes etc but I think the ceramic coatings are the way forward!

So virtually identical to KDS then, if he’s quoting for crystal serum.

Yes, if you want low maintenance high protection that lasts, then ceramic is the way to go.

He does offer packages that include high grade waxes etc but I think the ceramic coatings are the way forward!
Have a look before you leap

Blimey...£750 sounds quite steep!

Do you know exactly what that involves? Is it contingency for a 2-stage correction and polish if needed? Is it Gtechniq Crystal Serum? Does it include wheels off and C5 coating? Does it include exhaust tips too? Does it include a full interior detail and leather protection too?

If all of the above, it's probably about right, but would make sure!

An interesting watch and I hear you both but for me personally the cost is offset by the longevity and level of the protection they offer. Add to that the fact that I just don’t have the time to lavish attention on my car these days (I wish I did) and this seems the right product for me.

Unfortunately gone are they days when I could spend 8+ hours washing, claying , polishing and waxing my cars. I am hoping that when the new car arrives I can at least find an hour or two at the weekends to get the old PW/snow foam out!

Do you know exactly what that involves? Is it contingency for a 2-stage correction and polish if needed? Is it Gtechniq Crystal Serum? Does it include wheels off and C5 coating? Does it include exhaust tips too? Does it include a full interior detail and leather protection too?

I think the KDS new car protection package I’m contemplating includes most if not all.

Here is a list of what is included, awaiting email to confirm options / recommendations for my car with Ceramic £750 or Wax £450 options

"Here is a detailed explanation of what goes into getting your car ready;

• Jet wash wheels.
  • Spray wheels with non acidic wheel cleaner.
  • Clean face of wheel and behind with brushes and wheel woollies.
  • Apply iron fallout remover to the wheels.
  • Tar remover applied if needed to the wheels.
  • Jet wash cleaner off to leave clean wheels.
  • General purpose applied to arches and allowed to dwell before agitation with various brushes.
  • Arches jet washed to remove all road grime and dirt.
  • Jet wash car down to remove loose contaminants.
  • Snow foam applied to the car and allowed to dwell.
  • Shuts and intricate areas cleaned with various brushes and all-purpose cleaner.
  • Jet washed down to remove snow foam.
  • Wash car using 2 bucket wash method and PH neutral shampoo with Dooka wash mitt.
  • Jet wash car to remove shampoo.
  • Car clay bared using a fine grade clay and lubricant.
  • Iron fallout remover applied to the car to remove contamination.
  • Tar removed if applicable.
  • Snow foam applied to the car and allowed to dwell.
  • Jet wash to remove snow foam.
  • Dry car with jumbo drying towels and use of forced air dryer for tight areas.
  • Car treated to a single stage machine polish to add more depth and gloss.
  • A full IPA wipedown to remove any oils on the paintwork.
  • Car treated to a full coat of paintwork cleanse to help bonding of wax or sealant.
  • A choice of waxes or spray sealants applied to the car and removed with plush microfibers.
  • Glass cleaned throughout.
  • Exhaust pipes cleaned if applicable.
  • Tyres dressed with uv protectant dressing.
  • Mats and cloth seats fabric sealant is applied to them.
  • Leather is cleaned and protected
  • Dash cleaned.
  • Glass cleaned throughout and protected
  • Wheels waxed
  • Air freshener applied.
Estimated time of completion- 8-72 Hours.

Wax and sealant upgrades

For each package a selection of waxes and sealants are used to adequately protect the vehicle for your needs.

I am able to offer ceramic coatings such as Gtechniq C1,Exo V2, C5, G1, Nanolex, Car Pro, Siramik SC15, Max Protect as upgrades with price of application needed to be discussed before completion of vehicle.

For wax upgrades I am able to offer a wide array of different choices from Swissvax Crystal Rock, Chemical Guys Kore Dark or Light and Definitive Wax"

And like DohNut really don't think I am going to have the time to be detailing my car for hours on end!

Oh I completely agree with both you and DohNut, if you don't have the time/facilities to do it yourself then pay a pro!
I'm just questioning the amount that's all. Typically I've seen new car ceramics being offered at around the £500 mark. £750 strikes me as a bit steep.

I mean...they could be guilty of over-egging it a bit with the list...the first 20 bullet points could be condensed into "Full pre-wash, wash and decontamination of the bodywork and wheels"....Using chemical decontamination (Iron X and Tar remover) after claying seems a bit odd too, but I'm just being pedantic!

What's more of a concern is that it's only a single stage enhancement polish, the wheels are not removed, and no indication if the wheels and exhaust tups would get ceramic coating if you upgraded the body work to a ceramic? I would want to clarify this before handing over.

A single stage wont remove any defects, and unfortunately it's all too common for new cars to have defects that need correcting before being refined. Although more to the point, I would absolutely expect a 2-stage correction/polish for £750, along with wheels off and full ceramics on those as well...

I mean if you are happy then that's all that matters, but that's just my 2p's worth :)

Ohh... I will certainly be paying a pro! Ceramics are beyond my skill set and even if they weren’t and I had the time, I simply don’t have the environment to apply them in - garage is full of junk so anything I can/will do will be on the drive in the open air.

When the time comes to do mine I expect to be having a full and frank discussion on what is required to achieve the desired results.

Saddo that I am I’ll probably stay and watch too!

Just heard back from KDS... firstly I didn’t realise the prices quoted on the website exclude VAT. They’re also are saying the A4 bridges the gap between L/XL which ups the price a further £35, so £924 all in if I go for the crystal serum upgrade. At that price I’m out.

Gonna call Matt.

Simon... Have found www.detaildriven.co.uk and according to his website includes a single stage machine polish in his new car protection detail, something KDS don’t but I believe The Matt Finish do. He also seems slightly cheaper, if his quoted prices included VAT. He is however based near Tunbridge Wells so is further out then both.

I’ve dropped him an email to confirm price.

Last edited:
So detail driven have quoted £625 for the A4 Avant as the guy classes all estates and SUV’s as large. Might be that the A5 sneeks in as medium in which case it’s £550. Either way quite a saving.

The guy also said he’ll be Geyon certified end of Feb so will be covered by a 5 year guarantee. I’ve asked him to clarify what exactly that means. He is currently fully booked until mid May though.

So detail driven have quoted £625 for the A4 Avant as the guy classes all estates and SUV’s as large. Might be that the A5 sneeks in as medium in which case it’s £550. Either way quite a saving.

The guy also said he’ll be Geyon certified end of Feb so will be covered by a 5 year guarantee. I’ve asked him to clarify what exactly that means. He is currently fully booked until mid May though.

Got to love this 5 year guarantee even any guarantee....Any glass coat deminishes after 6 months,dont kid yourself they are high maintenance mate,its not a wash n go treatment,ok not as work intensive as a monthly detail,but l really struggled to get..if l ever did?... the finish l got on it my car initially and the water marks where horrendous

Reactions: DrEskimo
So as expected, once certified he/Geyon will guarantee the coating for 5 years, quote... “The paint coating is warranted for five years yes. Assuming the car is correctly maintained and it’s the correct products and in the right manner and not taken through automated or hand car washes the coating will last the claimed five years according to Gyeon”

Based on the conversations I had today I’m gonna go with Detail Driven for a full Gyeon new car protection detail at £625. He can also assist with getting my windows tinted so the proverbial two birds, one stone here.

I have managed to get free Gardx from the dealer and he won't budge on offering me another discount of my A3 black edition 1..5 which already stands at £5600. Should I just take the Guardx as a stop gap to spending more money later on better protection?

I like Daytona grey the best but if I don't want to get into detailing work and regular paint maintainence would I just be better choosimg Floret silver? How do both hold up to minimum maintainence other than a wash every month and a polish once a year?

Even if free I wouldn’t take the Gardx option as I suspect most on this sub-forum would agree. Dealers are not detailers.

I’ve had Daytona before and personally think it’s one of best colours Audi do. For the minimal maintenance you describe above I really don’t think it will make much difference which you go for. Go for the colour you prefer.

Reactions: NevMan
For me it's not about protection here but more about potential damage the dealer could inflict applying the Guardx in the first place.

I think the best advice I can offer is to go speak to a detailer near you and discuss the options.

For me it's not about protection here but more about potential damage the dealer could inflict applying the Guardx in the first place.

I think the best advice I can offer is to go speak to a detailer near you and discuss the options.
Will do thank you for the advice. I will probably let them do the interior treatment onl, if they will do that.

This is it in a nutshell. Even if it's free the damage they'll do will cost money later to fix.

@DohNut have Gyeon MOHS+ on my wife's Golf. Happy with it. Ceramic coatings do seem to be prone to water spots initially but I've easily fixed any issues with CarPro Spotless. This only seems to be an issue early on. My S4 did two years with Cquartz Finest before I had it recoated. Water spotting was only an issue in the first few weeks. Like you I have kids and limited time so ceramics do what I need. The recoat at 2 years was due to general wear and tear (damn work car park), the coating was still going fine. Hope that helps.

Reassuring to hear of your experience scotty.

I’ll be asking my detailer for recommendations on how best to maintain/what products to use once the Gyeon is on the car. It’s all booked in for June 4th. Hopefully I’ll be in the car just before then. Can’t wait!

Reactions: NevMan and scotty76
Asked Audi dealer if he had better product to Gardx and he said JCT 600 are rolling out Gen3 ceramic coating. He' offered me free Gardx and only wants £250 more for Gen3 instead. They charge £750 to coat A3's with Gen3 is this the way to go?