Facelift iPhone X, CarPlay, Parking Sensors and Charging Cradle! Grrr...

Mark_86

Reaction score
Hi all.

Wondering if anyone else has any issues or can offer a suggestion here.

Got a new iPhone X which has wireless charging, but when I have it in the wireless charging cradle under the armrest with the lead plugged in so I can use Apple CarPlay, after about 1-2 minutes, it stops CarPlay working and moves back to the MMi... any ideas? Do any Samsung users have this issue with Android Auto? I've resorted to leaving the phone plugged into the USB port and sat in the cup holder at the moment, but it's not ideal as I'd rather have it out of sight.

Also, when I have CarPlay working, once the parking sensors activate, CarPlay drops out and although the music keeps playing I can't get back into the CarPlay screen without disconnecting the phone and plugging it back in. Oddly, this has only started happening when I got the new phone...

Any ideas? It's driving me nuts! Thanks all :)

Mark

Can you not get it back using the connection manager in the MMI @Mark_86 without actually unplugging the phone and plugging it back in

Can you not get it back using the connection manager in the MMI @Mark_86 without actually unplugging the phone and plugging it back in

Yeah I can, but it's ****** annoying having to go in and out of screens all the time. It's probably and issue with the Apple software as it's not an issue on my wifes iPhone 6S.

Reactions: Tom.H
Not that it helps but don’t have this issue with a 6s in a charging case.

Hopefully apple will provide an update shortly

Reactions: Mark_86
Yeah I can, but it's ****** annoying having to go in and out of screens all the time. It's probably and issue with the Apple software as it's not an issue on my wifes iPhone 6S.

On a side note Mark, what sort of deal did you get on it? Was looking at upgrade options earlier and they're pretty crazy! Not really keen on the EE annual upgrade as if I read right and I want to keep it after a year I'd have to pay £480! The other 2 non annual upgrade options were £349.99 and £449.99 upfront!

On a side note Mark, what sort of deal did you get on it? Was looking at upgrade options earlier and they're pretty crazy! Not really keen on the EE annual upgrade as if I read right and I want to keep it after a year I'd have to pay £480! The other 2 non annual upgrade options were £349.99 and £449.99 upfront!

I just bought the phone from Apple mate as I have a BT sim only plan which is only £9.00 a month. Got cash back on the phone via one of those webistes (can't remember the name) so was like getting 10% off or something.

Reactions: JDHOWELLS and Tom.H

EE annual update allows you to upgrade annually IF YOU WANT, not forced. The contract is 24 months, if you want to upgrade after 12 months you hand your old phone in and take a new one out or pay to keep both.

My girlfriend just got a deal online I would be able to find for you, £145 upfront and £57.99 a month on the iPhone X which is great! I’m paying quite a bit more than that, but I also have the 256GB. She has 16GB of Data with EE.

Get the X, it’s a stunning phone and much smoother without the home button.

Reactions: JDHOWELLS and Mark_86
EE annual update allows you to upgrade annually IF YOU WANT, not forced. The contract is 24 months, if you want to upgrade after 12 months you hand your old phone in and take a new one out or pay to keep both.

My girlfriend just got a deal online I would be able to find for you, £145 upfront and £57.99 a month on the iPhone X which is great! I’m paying quite a bit more than that, but I also have the 256GB. She has 16GB of Data with EE.

Get the X, it’s a stunning phone and much smoother without the home button.

Ah perhaps I read it wrong, so if I don't want to upgrade after 12 months then I carry on and the phone is mine at the end of 24 months as per usual? I get 20% off through work.

Sorry to hijack Mark!

Hi all.

Got a new iPhone X which has wireless charging, but when I have it in the wireless charging cradle under the armrest with the lead plugged in so I can use Apple CarPlay, after about 1-2 minutes, it stops CarPlay working and moves back to the MMi... any ideas? Do any Samsung users have this issue with Android Auto? I've resorted to leaving the phone plugged into the USB port and sat in the cup holder at the moment, but it's not ideal as I'd rather have it out of sight.

Also, when I have CarPlay working, once the parking sensors activate, CarPlay drops out and although the music keeps playing I can't get back into the CarPlay screen without disconnecting the phone and plugging it back in. Oddly, this has only started happening when I got the new phone...

Mark

I have the iPhone X, and use Car Play daily without any issues - the charging cradle work perfectly too, obvisouly Car Play only works via the physical connection and not when just placed on wireless matt.

Not really any help to you though - no idea how your phone can in anyway effect the parking sensors, or why it only happens with new phone, very strange..

I pay for my phones upfront - sold my iphone 7 for £450 - that went towards the iPhone X - and I'm with EE sim only, 18GB data per month, unlimited everything else, I pay £7.33 a month :)

On a side note - but tech related - looking forward to the day our phones/watches act as our car keys, with Apple Pay (touch or Face ID) being far more secure method of payment than a card, I can't see no reason it not working for our cars security - you can already use it as your house or hotel room key for example..

Just my two cents :p

Reactions: Ormesome
Ah perhaps I read it wrong, so if I don't want to upgrade after 12 months then I carry on and the phone is mine at the end of 24 months as per usual? I get 20% off through work.

Sorry to hijack Mark!

That’s correct :)

Reactions: Tom.H
On a side note - but tech related - looking forward to the day our phones/watches act as our car keys, with Apple Pay (touch or Face ID) being far more secure method of payment than a card, I can't see no reason it not working for our cars security - you can already use it as your house or hotel room key for example..

Just my two cents :p

Used my iPhone X for the Hilton check in and room key today via their app. Face ID is great. Doubt it will come to cars soon though. Tech in cars is ancient by modern day standards, but hopefully Tesla is pushing the industry forwards. If you think about the recent thefts with Advance keys being cloned or signals being hacked, then a Face ID sensor on the drivers pillar is so much more secure to open and activate the car.

Reactions: JDHOWELLS
When I connect my iPhone 6s via CarPlay it occasionally drops connection to the MMI just the same as the iPhone X problem you are mentioning. I have to do exactly the same, pull the usb cable out then plug it back in.

More annoyingly when my iPhone is connected via CarPlay if I have a call come in I can’t answer it through the car and the MMI screen doesn’t raise when the call comes in, I can only answer the call through the phone which then puts the call through the cars speakers. Tbh I’ve started connecting the iPhone through Bluetooth and the Audi MMI system, it works better than CarPlay.

Thanks for the reply guys. I may try and reset the MMi and see if that solves it.

Don’t mean this to sound rude, but... Can I ask what the point of wirelessly charging the phone is when you are using CarPlay? Surely it’s already charging it as it’s connected via the cable?

I have no problem using Android Auto via the usb lead when my S8 is in the charging cradle. I assume the car disables the wireless charging when it senses the phone plugged in.

Regarding phone upgrades, never sign up for the upgrade offers on line. The wife has been with EE for years, when its time to upgrade, I always phone up, ask to speak to the retention team and see what they will offer if I renew the contract. Last upgrade I got £100 off the handset cost. If you dont ask you don't get.

I pay for my phones upfront - sold my iphone 7 for £450 - that went towards the iPhone X - and I'm with EE sim only, 18GB data per month, unlimited everything else, I pay £7.33 a month :)

Apologies for another hijack but has anyone tried Tesco mobile.
Been with them years now and had no issues at all, in fact the whole family haves swapped over as well.
For new subscribers it’s usually a 1yr contract and you pick which data plan you want.
For example I am £12 pm for 6GB data, unlimited text and 5000 minutes.
Daughter is £18 pm for 20GB data and same text & minutes as me.
Wife and son on almost same deals, although we do own our Iphones bought outright.

Give Tesco a try you won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all.

Mark
I found upgrading to Apple IOS 11.3 solved the problem with parking sensors / Car Play drop out