Strange power loss 1.8t Aum

MikeCrum1996

Reaction score
So I have this issue that seems to come and go.. it’s hard to explain but basically one minute the power is there car pulls like a train next minute it seems like half as powerful.. it baffles me it will run perfect for first 10-15 minutes then it’s like half power.. if I restart the engine it seems like it’s a full power again then 10mins later back at half power..

I don’t know if it’s limp mode or maf sensor I’ve been told it could be a lot of things.
I have few codes 17705 I’ve recently replaced DV for a forge 007p.. also got a 02 sensor code due to decat but that’s it..

Its like one minute it’s at full power the next it’s just gone wtf..

Specs : 1.8t AUM, Forge Tip, 3”decat, Forge 007p, n249 bypass. Stage 1 remap
Everything else is standard.

If it’s been remapped why’s there a code for O2 sensor?
Our dash light was mapped out but I’m sure ours still uses the O2 sensors
I had to change it last year for a new genuine sensor as it wasn’t reading correctly and was giving us a pulsing of power on hard acceleration
Was picked up reading live data while out mapping
We only run the standard dump valve
Give up with constant running issues with forge stuff

If it’s been remapped why’s there a code for O2 sensor?
Our dash light was mapped out but I’m sure ours still uses the O2 sensors
I had to change it last year for a new genuine sensor as it wasn’t reading correctly and was giving us a pulsing of power on hard acceleration
Was picked up reading live data while out mapping
We only run the standard dump valve
Give up with constant running issues with forge stuff
It hasn’t been mapped because it was decat after the remap.. I never had eml before I fitted the decat, so you’re suggesting it’s an o2 sensor

Any other suggestions? I was thinking of unplugging maf to see if that helps?

So I have this issue that seems to come and go.. it’s hard to explain but basically one minute the power is there car pulls like a train next minute it seems like half as powerful.. it baffles me it will run perfect for first 10-15 minutes then it’s like half power.. if I restart the engine it seems like it’s a full power again then 10mins later back at half power..

I don’t know if it’s limp mode or maf sensor I’ve been told it could be a lot of things.
I have few codes 17705 I’ve recently replaced DV for a forge 007p.. also got a 02 sensor code due to decat but that’s it..

Its like one minute it’s at full power the next it’s just gone wtf..

Specs : 1.8t AUM, Forge Tip, 3”decat, Forge 007p, n249 bypass. Stage 1 remap
Everything else is standard.
17705 is your issue
map and/or maf related

17705 is your issue
map and/or maf related
I’ve just unplugged maf while engine is running and it makes no difference it didn’t stall or anything just stayed the same.. Audi want £130 for new maf

I’ve just unplugged maf while engine is running and it makes no difference it didn’t stall or anything just stayed the same.. Audi want £130 for new maf
cheaper exchange units available from the likes of GSF...
how long ago since it was mapped and when did it start doing this?

cheaper exchange units available from the likes of GSF...
how long ago since it was mapped and when did it start doing this?
I’ve seen like a £70 sensor on gsf,. It’s been mapped for nearly 2 years.. when I bought the car it ran spot on not a single problem, it started happening a few months ago and it slowly getting worse.. at times though I think it’s gone but it shows up again

Is there a way to know 100% if it’s the maf? Before I buy one

If I unplug the maf it seems overall smoother as in the power isn’t on or off it’s just smooth.. also noticed that if I use half throttle is seems more powerful it seems crazy but if I put my foot down it just gets louder but ain’t going anywhere fast..

I spray the **** out of my maf with maf cleaner today it didn’t make a difference

unplug maf and see what happens
I’m starting to think it might be a boost leak.. as today I noticed it picks up nice till about 4000rpm then it just goes dead but this doesn’t happen all the time sometimes it pulls past 5k other times there’s hardly any power at 5k

I’m going crazy here

Last edited:
What about a smoke test? That would show up if you have a boost leak.
I don’t have access to smoke test or know any garages near me that does, if I get access to vcds it would make my life that much easier

Have a look on the vcd map and see if there is someone near you that can help you out.
I’ve messaged a few people.. no reply as of yet.
I can get a Bosch maf for £66 from local car spare shop, the guy said it’s a new sensor in an old body.. do I trust it?
Cheapest so far

Update: since unplugging the maf the car pulls hard every time.. unlike when it’s plugged in only get full power every 1 out of 5 try’s of flooring it, will it pull harder with a new maf? It pulls hard now when it’s unplugged

Problem solved..
It wasn’t the maf although the new maf has increased the mpg.. it was hose coming off the diverter valve I replaced it with a really long piece of pipe after I installed my oversized tip.. I cut about 4-5 inches off the pipe and now the car is back to normal..
Thank god

Reactions: mr_pepps
Happy days mate good to hear. How's the oversized tip can u deal the extra benefit of it? What cone did you end up putting on was it the blue jetex filter or the red one I saw on badger 5 online shop