When will I ever afford to retire.

The deficit was estimated at £12.3bn in 2014 and increased contributions from both employers and employees reduced this to the £5.3bn (or £6bn, or £17.5bn depending on what set of assumptions you want to apply....) currently.

I am more than happy to up my contribution to reduce the risk if needed. Currently pay in 8% of my salary, but happy to increase it.

As mentioned, DB pensions is one of the only ways for universities to compete with private industry large salaries. If you think the deficit is expensive, imagine they cost of losing the most prominent professors and lecturers teaching at our universities, let alone the research they create and contribute to.
I think as a country the UK needs to reflect... do we want to be a nation of 'wide boys/girls' or do we actually want to promote social inclusion, caring for our fellow humans and delivering services people need whilst at the same time allowing people to make money for themselves and the country. For my 2p the duplicitous Tories seem to be looking after their mates and screwing everyone else. Probably I should be a Tory voter given my background but I absolutely hate what they are doing to our country. Stop or pause Brexit and have a peoples vote and or a general election. I want my country back... and to be able to continue to afford nice Audis.

@RGBARGEE

I agree with you, right up and till the torie part. I believe in the conservatives, I will admit I don’t think Teresa May is the right person, but who really wants to take us through brexit? It’s easy for labour to diss whilst they’re back seat. But could corbyn really do a good job, I don’t think so!

I think tories can make this all work, just need a stronger leader, I personally liked Cameron, and I can’t really blame him for washing his hands on it all.

But regardless of brexit, the country needs to stick together and hopefully it’ll all turn out ok, would be nice to see Britain make money and let the business man grow as well as his employees..

I also would like to afford to buy Audi’s!

Let’s see how many people sting me up for being blue and proud haha

@RGBARGEE

I agree with you, right up and till the torie part. I believe in the conservatives, I will admit I don’t think Teresa May is the right person, but who really wants to take us through brexit? It’s easy for labour to diss whilst they’re back seat. But could corbyn really do a good job, I don’t think so!

I think tories can make this all work, just need a stronger leader, I personally liked Cameron, and I can’t really blame him for washing his hands on it all.

But regardless of brexit, the country needs to stick together and hopefully it’ll all turn out ok, would be nice to see Britain make money and let the business man grow as well as his employees..

I also would like to afford to buy Audi’s!

Let’s see how many people sting me up for being blue and proud haha
I’m no Corbyn fan but do seriously believe that we have to stop/pause Brexit. We need a proper people’s vote now that more is known rather than Farage/Johnson/muppet politicians views. My MP is Liar Fox and if he thinks Brexit is a good idea it probably isn’t! Check him out! Think we need to stop Brexit and push for political reform and PR. We can still STOP BREXIT!

Reactions: SM18
@RGBARGEE

definitely agree, brexit is the route of all evil, the winning half of the nation who got their brexit was feed lies by complete and utter loons.. Borris Johnson and farage, seriously?!

Now we know the facts definitely need a re vote.
Being a 26 yr old I don’t remember the good old days back before the eu but I’m not sure I want to drive a little red triumph that breaks down every 20 miles. Or stitch my jumper up when I rip it. I’m not saying I’m wasteful and chuck things away at first problem, but I’m sure you get the picture. Those good old days won’t come back. I’d rather be a small/medium part of something big than a big part of nothing.

Don’t mean to be ageist either but I do think over 65-70 shouldn’t be able to vote, as it’s affect generations to come, not being mean but retired folk of the uk aren’t really going to see change from brexit good or bad.

I’m 26, so long way of retirement unless I win the euromillions soon. I have a buy to let, put it on interest only whilst I get my house tidied up.. and plus my wife been on a teaching course so been short of money recently. I have a nest work place pension and I think in total from me and employer I add 10% of my income. A dickie bird told me to half my age so 26 would be 13 that’s what I should be adding to pension and rise as I age. Don’t really understand pensions that well, does that seem a good plan, I know I’m down 3% but the gov should add some via tax relief.. and not forgetting the buy to let which will be changed to capital repayment when it’s due for renewal.. but it’s getting tedious renting, can’t claim any mortgage interest fees against income now.. feel stuck with it, if I sell there’s 40% capital gains to pay, and I have a fair bit of equity in the property so wouldn’t want to give 40k give or take to the tax man!

Rant over.

Any tips advice on pension would be appreciated.. thanks
Dunno on pensions but with the rental can you over pay on the mortgage a bit? Also if you're not already doing it can you manage it yourself to save money and make more profit.

When I sold one of my rentals the first 10k of profit I didn't have to pay tax. And just stick aload of receipts through. I claim stuff like my detailing gear now (which I do use on my shower cubicle at home) soon adds up. Also to make a little extra cash there's a property company called 'viewber' and to do stuff for them I get between £20-40 a job. Easy money for 30-60 mins work

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: SM18
Yes I can overpay although I haven’t, the cash is to useful each month atm, I do entirely manage my self, no agents or accountants! I do claim for as much as possible although last year it warned me I was getting quite high with expenses so kind of scared me off a bit. Don’t want a tax investigation..

Not heard of claiming detailing gear before haha

Tax man is taking the right pi55 with the private rental market. Even stuff like bleach and light bulbs at home I'm sticking through the robing gits. Even my wife's business she bought a VW California from VW commercial for work and she was told it's classed as a car and couldn't claim the vat. After arguing the point she was allowed to stick it through as long as it had sign writing on it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I was going to advise my two girls to get cushy jobs as politicians. You get to put your groceries on expenses,set your own wages and holidays, claim for a second house and "work" when you feel like it. I don't really want them to be despised though.

Don’t mean to be ageist either but I do think over 65-70 shouldn’t be able to vote, as it’s affect generations to come, not being mean but retired folk of the uk aren’t really going to see change from brexit good or bad.
If that's what you say when you're not trying to be ageist, I'm fascinated to hear you when you are being ageist.

How on earth can you possibly think Brexit won't affect the over 65s? Do you not think that some in that age group might want to buy Audis, or other EU imported cars? Don't you think they might want to travel overseas? Don't you think they might have investments whose performance they want to see maximized, as their retirement incomes depend on the returns?

I could spend the rest of the day thinking up further examples of how fatuous and insulting that comment is.