Transferring My Late Grandfather's Number Plate To Myself?

Jlawson118

Reaction score
I've got a bit of a tricky situation here at the moment. My grandad spent years trying to find himself a private numberplate and managed to find one a year or two back. He often said I could have it when he passes away.

Around Spring he was diagnosed with cancer and was given five years to live, longer with treatment, and therefore in July for my 21st, my parents bought me my own private plate.

Although unfortunately late August, they found another cancer on my grandad, gave him one year to live and unfortunately he passed away early November. All I really have left of him is his numberplate. And as it was quite sudden, it was still on his own car.

Now it is back on retention, but the retention document is in his name, and there's a nominee section but he is required to sign it. He also never added his numberplate in his will or anything like that. My research before now has come back saying his next of kin needs to write a document explaining they would give their permission, that would be my grandma. Although none of us have a clue where to begin with this.

I was planning to get a new car before he passed away anyway and so he wrote me a cheque towards a new one, I used all of my savings and my grandma gave me some too, and I've bought a nice new Audi A3 with it, and the sales executive who sold me the car has offered to help me out with it but I feel like there's only so much he can do regarding this situation because it's different putting a plate in my name, than somebody else who's no longer with us. Although I'm visiting the Audi dealership on Saturday to speak to him as we need to fully sign my old car over to them after waiting for the log book on the old registration to come back. He did say last time when I come back with that, we'll see what we can do.

All I want now is to have his numberplate on it as it's all I really have left of him, apart from jewellery but I never wear it, whereas I'm out on the road most of the time.
I'm wondering if there's a more simple way of sorting this out? Or is it all down to myself and my grandma writing a letter to the DVLA explaining the circumstances? And if so, where do we start? :flushed:

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn
It will form part of his estate. If he had a will he will have had a cover all term like 'the remainder of my estate to person X'

Read the below, if the estate has passed then your Nan can simply transfer it to you. If the estate hasn't been fully distrubuted and executors are still involved, then they can transfer it to you. The site below gives a good summary though

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-veh.../person-with-right-to-use-private-number-dies

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jlawson118
Sorry to hear of your Grandfathers passing ,
I would suggest either contacting the dvla and have a list of questions to ask them or ask the solicitor who you are using for all the legal stuff to find out .
Please let us know how you get on .

Reactions: Jlawson118
Hey guys,

I visited the dealership today to sort out the log book for my old car, and he just used the DVLA website to assign the plate to my car, even with my name being the registered keeper and they accepted the request and therefore he had my new plates printed up, but just wants the V5 document to come through before they place them onto the car :grinning:

I'm just wondering now if ever I had the numberplate put on retention in the future, would this be in my name or come back to my grandfather's again? Or should I still send the retention certificate back and put myself as a nominee?

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I used to do this as part of my job, you will need to sign the retention with you as a nominee and pay the £25 to the dvla, send the document back to them to be amended

Once it is back you can tick the nominee rather than grantee section to allocate the plate .

The DVLA will only issue a registration document in the name of the grantee unless there is a nominee !

As it stands now The v5 will come through in your grandfathers name !

The car salesman didn’t know what he is doing so now if he has registered your car in that name ( unless it’s exactly the same as grandads ) you will have to do a keeper change !
The car will also get registered to your grandfatheres address as again you cannot overwrite this in the DVLA system , when you put the certificate numbers in it automatically populated the fields.

Now if the car is on finance that opens up a whole new can of worms for you

Reactions: Ghost and Audi Bairn
Rich, on a slightly different note can you put a cherished plate on a leased vehicle ?
Sorry to the original poster for hijacking.

All depends if on the lease company , I’ve only ever worked with a few of the bigger ones

Lex, leaseplan, avrval and Vwfs mainly

But yes you can, some will allow you to register on a private plate, others will charge you an admin fee for putting it on AND taking it off!
They will also nornaly stipulate that you use plates with there details on the bottom

Thanks Rich, A mate i do work for has just got a brand new Transit from Fords, i think he's bought it but he says he's leasing

Thanks Rich, A mate i do work for has just got a brand new Transit from Fords, i think he's bought it but he says he's leasing
Just make sure he puts the lease company down as the nominee so that he doesn’t lose the plate when he hands the car back

Nice thread, sorry to hear about your Grandpa, it sounds like you had a great relationship. Hope you get the plate sorted.

The V5 document did come through in my name and I managed to get the plates put straight on the car, looks really good on there! Think it nearly brought my grandma into tears :sleepy: but yeah, I'm pleased with the plates and pleased I can carry on his memory, it took him years to find the perfect plate so I wasn't just going to let it go :relieved:
I used to do this as part of my job, you will need to sign the retention with you as a nominee and pay the £25 to the dvla, send the document back to them to be amended

Once it is back you can tick the nominee rather than grantee section to allocate the plate .

The DVLA will only issue a registration document in the name of the grantee unless there is a nominee !

As it stands now The v5 will come through in your grandfathers name !

The car salesman didn’t know what he is doing so now if he has registered your car in that name ( unless it’s exactly the same as grandads ) you will have to do a keeper change !
The car will also get registered to your grandfatheres address as again you cannot overwrite this in the DVLA system , when you put the certificate numbers in it automatically populated the fields.

Now if the car is on finance that opens up a whole new can of worms for you

Nice thread, sorry to hear about your Grandpa, it sounds like you had a great relationship. Hope you get the plate sorted.

Hows it going with the plate ?

The V5 document did come through in my name and I managed to get the plates put straight on the car, looks really good on there! Think it nearly brought my grandma into tears :sleepy: but yeah, I'm pleased with the plates and pleased I can carry on his memory, it took him years to find the perfect plate so I wasn't just going to let it go :relieved:

Reactions: 45bvtc and BarryG79