Has anybody actually had warranty work refused due to TD1?

nervus

Reaction score
I just thought i'd throw this out there. I've always been super cautious and remove the mods before I go in but I wanted to know if anyone has actually been refused work due to mods?

I've got a PFL and have had all kinds of problems:

5 sets of discs and pads on 10K miles
Spark plug failures
HPFP failure
MMI failure

I've had my car lowered from day 2 of ownership, ran an MTM M-Cantronic (box) and also had an MTM remap flashed on and off and NEVER EVER been refused any work.

I wonder if its just saber rattling and the TD1 is simply the service manager asking:

"Has your car been mapped" and hoping you coff!

Yep and there's me just worried about the wheel spacers I've fitted !

Reactions: AudiNutta
My car is clearly modded (brakes etc) yet Audi replaced my headlight under warranty last week. So perhaps the warranty stays intact for parts not modded? I wouldn't expect them to sort my non standard brakes though.

TX.

Reactions: Tony-c-
My car is clearly modded (brakes etc) yet Audi replaced my headlight under warranty last week. So perhaps the warranty stays intact for parts not modded? I wouldn't expect them to sort my non standard brakes though.

TX.

This is exactly what should happen... warrently can/should only be a problem when the modification has effected the part needing claimed against

Reactions: Frozenr6
I agree, if I changed the brake discs to aftermarket I wouldn't expect them to replace them when it fails.

Similarly, if its mapped and the turbo fails or the engine throws a leg out of bed, I wouldn't expect them to warranty that either.

Its the fact that the warranty manager has told me that Audi AG are taking a hard-line on mapped cars and if it has a TD1 flag, they wont even warranty, say, a failed MMI unit etc!

Maybe due to having to be coded in but I've been told that dealerships are getting burned through previous modded cars being traded and not supported by Audi UK down the line!
They're subsequently (apparently) scanning all cars coming into the network.

I know of someone who bought an RS6 from Audi recently, when it went into Audi for something they flagged it as TD1.......

The owner had not modified it and when they investigated further it was down to a previous owner.

The supplying dealership swapped it for a brand new RS6.

I had mine in for an oil change a couple of weeks ago.
The technician mentioned my lowering springs and said that would invalidate the suspension warranty, which I'm perfectly fine with.
I also have a leak on the thermostat housing which he said would be covered

Reactions: teslaboy
I know of someone who bought an RS6 from Audi recently, when it went into Audi for something they flagged it as TD1.......

The owner had not modified it and when they investigated further it was down to a previous owner.

The supplying dealership swapped it for a brand new RS6.

Wasn’t flagged as TD1 before the sale... flagged as TD1 after he had owned it, as said above, how does he prove it wasn’t him...

...so them swapping it for a new car, can’t see that happing to be honest

Reactions: The Black Panther
Wasn’t flagged as TD1 before the sale... flagged as TD1 after he had owned it, as said above, how does he prove it wasn’t him...

...so them swapping it for a new car, can’t see that happing to be honest

So I’m lying then..........

Fair enough.

This is one of the reasons why I don’t think I will tune my car or put a tuning box in just yet.... I think I will wait... that’s if I keep the car.... it’s fast enough for a daily anyway

Read the related thread on piston heads (I was bored as you can imagine) and seems that it was a guinea pig car for the tuning company. Wrote a very detailed opening post then............nothing. We know the outcome now as someone as mentioned earlier but if not the guy didn’t have a leg to stand on. By all accounts was videos on you tube of said car being ragged against other cars.

Just a warning social media will bite you in the **** one day if you keep posting videos of stuff like this. Some things need to be kept under the radar.

Reactions: Evil Diesel, Terminator x, T-800 and 1 other person
Its the fact that the warranty manager has told me that Audi AG are taking a hard-line on mapped cars and if it has a TD1 flag, they wont even warranty, say, a failed MMI unit etc!.

I'm sorry, but that's complete bo11ocks. A remapped engine or different brakes would not affect your warranty for a failed MMI unit. Any court in the land would laugh Audi out of it if they tried to pull that one.

Reactions: nervus, Tony-c- and DW81
So I’m lying then..........

Fair enough.

Lying.........

In my opinion, yes :relieved: the buyer bought a 2nd hand car, and had it replaced for a brand new one?! I think the truth has been somewhat ‘modified’ here :seenoevil:

Last edited:
Reactions: The Black Panther
Me lol. They wouldn't fix a panoramic roof rattle caused by speaker vibrations because the car was lowered.

Anyway the car was flagged td1 at the same time. If you want to avoid td1 buy a secondary ECU and have it de immobilised, but you shouldn't be cheating audi anyway tbh as cheats are the reason why these safeguards exist.

Lying.........

In my opinion, yes :relieved: the buyer bought a 2nd hand car, and had it replaced for a brand new one?! I think the truth has been somewhat ‘modified’ here :seenoevil:

Well it is your opinion........

But what I’ve posted 100% true.

No point in making things up just to post.

TX.

But if you have had any engine mods including remaps then they could legitimately reject any warranty claim on any part of the engine

But if you have had any engine mods including remaps then they could legitimately reject any warranty claim on any part of the engine
Oh I agree, wouldn't expect them to cover my brakes either.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tony-c-, DW81 and T-800
It’s good to read that some of you owners will happily hold your hands up should anything happen to a part of the car that as been modified by yourself. Man up and take it on the gin rather than cry wolf. Fair play lads.

Reactions: Tony-c- and Evil Diesel
It’s good to read that some of you owners will happily hold your hands up should anything happen to a part of the car that as been modified by yourself. Man up and take it on the gin rather than cry wolf. Fair play lads.
We can tell what you’re thinking about, I do like a gin...
You are right, mod at you’re own risk, don’t try pulling the wool over manufacturers eyes.

Reactions: Tony-c- and DW81
I have a friend with an RS3 that has had warranty work refused but the car was not TD1 logged at the time.
It was a problem with the rattling valve in the backbox (yes that one). He took the car to the local dealer and they agreed that the exhaust backbox should be replaced under warranty. Unfortunately when the part arrived, it was damaged so they did not fit it to the car. While they were messing about with it, one of the Technicians was looking at the underneath of the car and noticed the Milltek secondary decat pipes fitted. Somehow a written comment was made on the return slip for the damaged part, something about the OEM secondary cats missing.
The comment was spotted on the return paperwork in Germany and Audi refused to supply another replacement. My friend was gutted but ended up fitting a Milltek cat back system instead, but at his own cost.

Reactions: DW81 and T-800
I have a friend with an RS3 that has had warranty work refused but the car was not TD1 logged at the time.
It was a problem with the rattling valve in the backbox (yes that one). He took the car to the local dealer and they agreed that the exhaust backbox should be replaced under warranty. Unfortunately when the part arrived, it was damaged so they did not fit it to the car. While they were messing about with it, one of the Technicians was looking at the underneath of the car and noticed the Milltek secondary decat pipes fitted. Somehow a written comment was made on the return slip for the damaged part, something about the OEM secondary cats missing.
The comment was spotted on the return paperwork in Germany and Audi refused to supply another replacement. My friend was gutted but ended up fitting a Milltek cat back system instead, but at his own cost.
IMO Audi are having a laugh there. The secondary cats missing is not going to cause the backbox rattle.

Reactions: DW81
Posted this earlier to today on S1 forum and about a 1000 other times previous! This is a document taken from audi hub. I’m a Audi tech and see it on a daily basis. And i’m getting soo bored of it on the forum! So many myths about dealerships on this forum need sorting out lol :tearsofjoy:

Any questions feel free to ask.
Thanks Tony

10DB2657 8DD6 452A AABB 8A43132D900E
F40F17D1 9BD3 4960 BF2F BDB9B7FDF1FA

Reactions: RAF_S7, EdmundVR4, T-800 and 4 others
Interesting regarding the tuning boxes. If this is true, which appears to be the case, the time is up for tuning boxes. That was the tuning box's USP. MIght as well get a full remap if taking the risk.

Would love to hear what MRC say. They seem pretty adamant they can avoid detection. I suppose they would say that, though.

Question for @Tony-c- have you seen many warranty claims rejected because of this?

Reactions: The Black Panther, Terminator x, Beebee-one and 2 others
Interesting regarding the tuning boxes. If this is true, which appears to be the case, the time is up for tuning boxes. That was the tuning box's USP. MIght as well get a full remap if taking the risk.

Would love to hear what MRC say. They seem pretty adamant they can avoid detection. I suppose they would say that, though.

Question for @Tony-c- have you seen many warranty claims rejected because of this?

I have recently discussed the TD1 detection issues with MRC. Their response was that given the constant development of software by Audi, they would not gaurantee that any maps would be undetectable. However, they did say that they are 'confident' that the cars they flash back to a stock map would not flag a TD1 under normal circumstances. This would be for a car that is working as it should with no major mechanical issues or faults. If for some reason you needed to return your car to stock to try to get warranty work carried out due to a major failure of a component (blown turbo or broken gearbox for example), then Audi will do a more in-depth investigation and look into the recorded data in other parts of the car such as gearbox torque, boost levels etc etc.
Considering the growing number of cars that are modified in some way, you can't really blame Audi for wanting to protect their position for replacing parts free of charge under warranty.

Reactions: D0C and DW81
So @Tony-c- if someone wanted to check a car to see if it had previously had a tuning box fitted AND it had altered the coding, that would also show an X in the hardware version using vcds?

I have recently discussed the TD1 detection issues with MRC. Their response was that given the constant development of software by Audi, they would not gaurantee that any maps would be undetectable. However, they did say that they are 'confident' that the cars they flash back to a stock map would not flag a TD1 under normal circumstances. This would be for a car that is working as it should with no major mechanical issues or faults. If for some reason you needed to return your car to stock to try to get warranty work carried out due to a major failure of a component (blown turbo or broken gearbox for example), then Audi will do a more in-depth investigation and look into the recorded data in other parts of the car such as gearbox torque, boost levels etc etc.
Considering the growing number of cars that are modified in some way, you can't really blame Audi for wanting to protect their position for replacing parts free of charge under warranty.

I think Audi are also concerned about the number of ‘modified’ ECUs that are out there currently and when these cars are sold / part ex-d back into the dealer network it’s Audi that are getting stung on cars that aren’t all they appear......

Reactions: DW81
They certainly seem more on it. When I traded in my B8 RS4 it was a condition of sale on the contract that they would check for ECU modifications.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

They certainly seem more on it. When I traded in my B8 RS4 it was a condition of sale on the contract that they would check for ECU modifications.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
When was this?

.... it’s Audi that are getting stung on cars that aren’t all they appear......

I completely agree. I do not want to appear to be an advocate of Audi, but they have gone to the trouble to produce a range of RS cars that are at the top of the league, they might ask the question: is it really necessary to modify them even more?

I also think it irresponsible that after market box suppliers go out of their way to try and convince everyone that their product will leave no trace. The story re the Golf R above is classic and in no way, I think, that VAG should have to pay for this. The problem arises when it is an innocent third party - a reason why all px RS cars should be put on ODIS prior to exchange.

I have to admire the chap trying to map in a bit more torque for me as he originally would not touch the car until he really convimced me there is no way back once started. I guess that others are not so confident of their product and manipulate words in order to secure a sale.

My question to Tony-c though: You claim to be an Audi techie. It is laudable that you pop into these IT threads and explain how it really is and telling us to beware. For this we thank you. BUT, where are you when the issue of squeaky brakes, or any other basic mechanical problem, comes up?

Reactions: Bike_boy, billymc92, DW81 and 1 other person