Facelift Google Earth - Audi Connect

Lawrence Ellul

Reaction score
Has anyone ever noticed a mismatch between the images provided by google earth on the MMI and your smartphone? See the attached photos. The car MMI is showing an image which is around 2 years old whereas google earth is quite recent. My car has the 2017 maps installed. Anyone knows why there is this mismatch?

Attachments

• pama gearth.jpg
    pama gearth.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 169
  • pama satnav.jpg
    pama satnav.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 158
I presume the MMI Google earth data is part of the mapping data, which is always at least a year out of date even when released as a new version, whereas your smartphone will be downloading the map on the fly so will always be the latest available. There is a bypass near me which has been there for 3 years and only just appeared on a map release for the second half of last year.

Interesting. I just checked the same location on google maps both on mobile and pc. The imagery on the mobile is as shown on google earth of the MMI whereas on the PC it matches google earth on the PC

Last edited:
Let me just express my (potential) ignorance here...

I thought Google Earth imagery was updated by way of Audi Connect, such that if you have a valid data-connected SIM inserted, the imagery will be pulled from Google servers at the time it is needed. Not the case?

I thought Google Earth imagery was updated by way of Audi Connect, such that if you have a valid data-connected SIM inserted, the imagery will be pulled from Google servers at the time it is needed. Not the case?
You may well be right. I'm not sure which way they do it, but it was the only reason I could think of that the Google earth data wouldn't be up to date.

No expert but I thought I read that it is only downloaded once and then stored.

Ie. If you're driving the same roads everyday you aren't wasting data usage because it's not getting re downloaded..

Personally I prefer the standard view and not the Google one. Don't feel it adds anything.

On a side note. I saw a bunch of threads on here when searching about Google being removed from Audi cars in late 2017 or 2020. Didn't have enough time to properly understand what was going on!

That should be the case, however when checking Google earth and Google maps imagery on both PC and Android devices these do not tally. The satellite imagery for both Earth and Maps on a PC are correct as is Google Earth on Android, however on google maps on an android device the imagery is old (around 2 years) and matches that shown on the MMI.